Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Visaton tweeters - comparisons?
Visaton tweeters - comparisons?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Mrcloc is offline Mrcloc  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton tweeters - comparisons?

For those who have tried a few Visaton tweeters, what would be a good choice?
G 20 SC
G 25 FFL
DSM 25 FFL

I built a pair of speakers, and I'm really happy with them, but I was never quite satisfied with the SC 10 N. I want to replace them with something better.

I feel the titanium dome will be a bit harsh and not very well defined, so I'm leaning to the G 25 FFL. From what I've heard, the KE 25 SC would be excellent, but they're way too expensive.

Has anybody got some experience with either of the listed tweeters? Any thoughts?

Are what tweeter would be a good choice from Seas or Vifa in the same price range?
Old 5th September 2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark, I have worked with G20FFL, and G25FFL. Both proved to be very good sounding but I have to stress out that XO filter was designed with measurement tools very carefully and I suspect that SC10N would not be far from these. A very similar tweeter to SC10N is Monacor DT99 and I was pleased with it too. G20, G25 series is very similar to classic SS and Dynaudio domes sound wise. Any decent brand name tweeters will work to audiophile satisfaction if skillfully treated.
Old 6th September 2017, 06:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Lojzek! Thanks for that. The crossover is a good one, but the SC10N doesn't react quickly enough, if that's a good way to say it. It struggles particularly with electric guitar, of all things, so old rock 'n roll doesn't work too well. Everything else is great, but I suspect a better tweeter will improve the overall sound dramatically.
Here's the crossover for the tweeter:
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 6th September 2017, 06:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I do, however, need to orientate the tweeter inductor differently... I should try that first.
Old 6th September 2017, 07:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

How would a full range driver, such as a B80 do for the highs?
Old 6th September 2017, 07:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Without measurements one does not know where the issue might be coming from.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Certainly. However, doing a frequency sweep, everything seems perfect - I can't pick up on anything wrong. Either way, I'd like to improve the tweeter because the SC10N isn't fantastic.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Your speaker issue may be too low of a XO point and too high of a listening level. Neither woofer nor tweeter can be happy about it. And the design from Boxsim may also be off. I haven't tried out B80, so I can't comment on it.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #9
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Visaton provides for free boxsim, a useful software to simulate a crossover, and is able to take into consideration also the baffle effects (baffle step and diffraction). Boxsim can simulate all Visaton drivers, and also other drivers if you provide valid frd and zma files. So before searching for a substitute driver, if you used all Visaton drivers in your build, try to simulate your speaker and report back.
The material of a dome tweeter doesn't imply necessarily a sonic characteristic (1), however the more rigid the dome is the more cleaner the sound should be if you push the breakup above the human hearing range. But the sound depends on the crossover, there are speakers with sub-optimal crossovers in which also soft-dome tweeter sound harsh. That could depend on a too low crossover point, to a bad final FR, or to ringing (2), just to name the most probable ones.

Ralf

(1) See here for a tweeter family with different dome materials (Vifa NE): Zaph|Audio
(2) See here for an example of ringing in an expensive soft dome tweeter: Zaph|Audio - ZRT - Revelator Tower
Old 6th September 2017, 08:55 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've thought about the XO point, but it's -20 dB at resonance. I think it's about 2400 Hz.

The tweeter doesn't provide clearly defined highs, and the worst of issues happens at very low levels too. It's not bad, but it can be much better.

Visaton tweeters - comparisons?Hide this!Advertise here!