Bi-Amping/Active Crossover w/ HT Receiver...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, it may be simpler than I thought - I had assumed the pre-out/main-in terminals on the back were very early in the signal chain, certainly pre-processing... But apparently this is not the case, looking at the manual. The main-in/main-out terminals are right before the amplifier section and are thus well after the surround processing.

Yamaha RX-V2095 Service Manual (Page 44 of 100)

...So, breaking into the loop from those terminals should be the idea place to put the active xo, at least as far as the primary receiver is concerned. The low pass from the xo then gets looped back to those main-in terminals.

The high pass goes to the secondary receiver. That receiver doesn't have main-in terminals anyway, so I guess the only option is to bring it into the 6 channel external decoder inputs, which should be ideal for both stereo and surround use, since then only one receiver is doing any surround processing. The only oddity then is the issue of the secondary receiver's volume control still controlling it's output level (and the one remote affecting volume level on both receivers). Seems like unplugging the volume control motor on that receiver and simply turning it all the way up is the simplest solution there, without having to hack anything up. Assuming of course that cranking it up all the way is the same thing effectively as jumpering across it, taking it out of the equation...

Jesse

Mods, you may as well move this to the "Amps" section.

Update:
I opened up the 2nd receiver, the RX-V795a, and after consulting the block and wire diagrams in the service manual proceeded to begin hacking. I found that separating the 6 pin ribbon cable between the main board and volume control daughter board allowed me to input my line-level pre-amp out signal from the 1st receiver directly into the L and R main channel amps. The ground wires between main board and volume board had to be jumpered to keep it from shutting off immediately after turning it on, apparently it's a key ground path. Other than that, not too bad - positives to "L" and "R" leads and negatives to the "E" (earth) leads, and an RCA patch cable with female ends run out the bottom of the enclosure.

Now of course it only functions as a stereo amp, and only with input to those RCAs, but the receiver was already mine, and it was a relatively cheap and easy mod. Of course it would have been better/simpler to just start with a stereo receiver! Now the 2nd receiver is slaved to the output of the first, and I can either run whatever preout signal to it I want, allowing me to bi-amp the front speakers.

Jesse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.