Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?
4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2017, 10:19 PM   #21
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE32

Here you go.
Not as efficient but twice the Xmax. £20each or £15 for the ferrite version.

Haven't used these but the 5FE120 is clearly a better driver than the 5" aerogel Audax so I'm extrapolating.
Old 8th August 2017, 10:49 PM   #22
hollowboy is online now hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
I love my Scanspeak 6.5" but would rather spend Discovery prices.

I'm wondering if you kind folks have any experience in cost saving and performance of the current crop from SB, SS, etc?
I've picked up a few 3-6" mids. I'm interested in wideband use (quasi full range) so might have different priorities. From best to worst cost : performance

https://www.vfmaudio.com.au/19776/FS...0-Watt-Woofer/
A very good Audax clone

The P Audio 4" is similarly good. Only 3 of my 4 match spec (one has a weak magnet / high Qts, and is 2dB low).

To stick with Scanspeak, the 15M works fine for not much cash. Very extended. I'm not sure I like their HF, though.

P Audio 3" is fine and seems to have lots more xmax / capability than the spec suggests. However, it seems relatively overpriced (the 4" is better value), and if I recall correctly, TSP don't match spec.

Fostex FF105WK do match spec and could be OK as a bandpassed mid but the HF and value aren't great
Old 8th August 2017, 10:52 PM   #23
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

My favorite PRICE/performance is the Visaton FR 10.

My Favorite Price/PERFORMANCE would be the Faital Pro 4fe32.

Both are actually pretty cheap.
Old 8th August 2017, 11:00 PM   #24
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another thing, if you're EQing them and use within their mechanical limits (so not as sub/woofers...) you basically won't be able to tell any of them apart, as per the blind test i made recently. So then why not take the most efficient ? The Faital would probably win then.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:39 AM   #25
hollowboy is online now hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBocani View Post
Another thing, if you're EQing them and use within their mechanical limits (so not as sub/woofers...) you basically won't be able to tell any of them apart, as per the blind test i made recently. So then why not take the most efficient ? The Faital would probably win then.
This seems valid (with the caveat that Jon's tests were >400Hz, so maybe slightly different priorities).

Quote:
1) I meant to say, I am not too interested in deep bass from this, so it is OK with me if it cuts off early.
Quote:
2) The problem is sensitivity and power limits.
Quote:
3) Lots of output, power handling, and off axis extension out to 3-4kHz
Quote:
4) I know the M to W distance will be unusually large.
Points 1 and 4 seem to be in conflict. A large M to W distance means you'd want the mid to go fairly low.

That, plus the points about sensitivity, output and power handling imply that you should go with the biggest / highest output driver that satisfies the off axis response criteria.

Out of what has been named, the FaitalPRO 5FE120 5" (or similar midbass) seems like the way to get max output / crossover ~100Hz.

The ScanSpeak 15M (or similar mid with decent xmax) would be the winner if you needed more efficiency / crossover ~200Hz.
Old 9th August 2017, 01:22 AM   #26
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Hollow,

I meant to say, I am not looking for 40Hz here. Anywhere from 100 to 200 Hz is probably fine for a lower cut-off.

So long as the 100Hz - 20kHz range is handled by drivers which are close together, I would be quite happy putting a woofer in a couple of feet away from the mid.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:52 AM   #27
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

BTW, I think I have given up on the 4". I'm really kind of entranced by the 5" FaitalPRO line. really nice extension AND dispersion.
Old 9th August 2017, 03:59 AM   #28
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm fond of the SB acoustics ones. Specifically I'm using the SB12NRX as a mid-bass. The polycone NRX has quite low distortion from 200Hz to around 3KHz - just right for a mid.

As a bonus they do a few different speakers in the 4" size that have common mounting holes, so you can play.
Old 9th August 2017, 04:00 AM   #29
peteki is offline peteki  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Audax HM100ZO. 4" cone is a possibility. Its response is quite flat over the midrange
Old 9th August 2017, 10:15 AM   #30
Charles Darwin is online now Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Out of curiosity which woofer and tweeter are you eying up to use if any?

4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?Hide this!Advertise here!