Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?
4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2017, 02:02 AM   #101
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Fernando,

Madisound did carry that I believe, as part of a 2-way kit, but it was always meant to be a "limited edition" so not surprising they ran out.

Best,

E
Old 17th August 2017, 02:06 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Here is the link to the Madisound page:

Scan-Speak 15W/4524T02 Limited Edition Woofer
Old 17th August 2017, 08:05 AM   #103
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

I am familiar with that driver. The one I am referring to is the 15W4424. it is in the Scan-Speak catalog but not Madisound. The upper end of the frequency response is far better than the 15W4524T02 or the 15W8434G00. It even looks better than the 15M8624G00 midrange.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:29 AM   #104
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This one?

Scanspeak Discovery 15W/4424G00 Midwoofer
Old 17th August 2017, 03:14 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Ahhh, interesting. You know, speaking of being "off spec" I have a pair of 18W/4531 which yes, were off T/S parameters, but also, the top was a lot smoother than spec as well. Maybe I did something wrong, but that raised plateau at the top end SS is famous for in the mid-woofers really wasn't there. I measured a hump around 1.5kHz. If I had wanted to deal with it I could have probably extended the range out to 3-4kHz.
Old 17th August 2017, 03:17 PM   #106
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
This sounds familiar - see post 85

Are you confident that the "more detailed/responsive driver" thing is the end result? That is, can you tell the difference once the driver is part of a system?

Some people would say no...
I have read the whole thread where JonBoncani tested the midranges. There are flaws in that test though it is informative. More detailed/reponsive driver will be more likely noticed at higher than at lower midrange frequencies. Since I'd use 15W up to 2.5KHz it can hardly be compared with say RS225 he tested because i would never use it that high.

Having that in mind, look at these two measurements. It is practically the same driver but one is bas-midrange, other is dedicated midrange. Measured in the exactly the same conditions sao the results are comparable:

http://audiocomponents.nl/download/s...i%202003-2.pdf

http://audiocomponents.nl/download/s...i%202003-4.pdf

Look at the waterfall, but look very carefully. See how 15M shuts down much faster through the entire spectrum than 15W. It is more obvious at lower frequencies, but also quite a difference higher in spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
...I recently got a pile of 6.5" Audax clones (good drivers and cheap locally), partly with this last idea in mind - run multiples, with the additional drivers supporting the lowest octave, to let them cover a slightly wider band than a single driver could.

In quick one-on-one tests vs. the ScanSpeak 15M (triple the $), my clones sound a little better ...but that's without EQing, and not as part of a system.
I'm all for the idea... There are lots of measurements of Illuminator 12MU and i'm the heretic who always says that two W4-1337SDF or two ZA14W08 in mtm would measure and sound better and for far less money - roughly four W4 or ZA14 cost less than one 12MU.
Old 17th August 2017, 03:23 PM   #107
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post

Yes, that is the one. I would like to find a US supplier.
Old 17th August 2017, 06:22 PM   #108
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando R View Post
Yes, that is the one. I would like to find a US supplier.
Can't help you with that but it seems fairly easy to find in Europe as in not every SS stockist came up when I googled it but a fair number.
No idea why Madi Sound doesn't.
Old 18th August 2017, 05:13 AM   #109
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
Look at the waterfall, but look very carefully.
OK: subtle, but real (I mean measurable - not just a Golden Ears fantasy). Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
I'm all for the idea... [...] would measure and sound better and for far less money
Exactly what I'm hoping. It won't be as pretty or compact as a 12MU, though
Old 18th August 2017, 03:13 PM   #110
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Well, it depends what do you consider subtle. We are splitting the hair in two regarding harmonic distortion - is 0.1% hd3 better than driver that has 0.5% at a certain frequency. Difference between csd in these two drivers would be much more than decimal figure of one percent and (imo) we are much more sensitive in changes/aberations in csd than in harmonic distortion.

Though i admit that resolution that Hobby HiFi magazine uses is good mostly for spotting large ridges of resonance.

Last edited by Zvu; 18th August 2017 at 03:36 PM.

4 inch Midranges - Price Performance ?Hide this!Advertise here!