Boenicke W5 clone

Here's a thread discussing the Boenicke W5, with measurements

I was interested in the Boenicke W5 until I researched them - Dave_K - Speaker Asylum

If check the you tube videos or have heard the speakers then you've got a better idea wether you like them or not.

How this clone speaker sounds versus the real Boenicke W5 - who knows.

The Auris Poison 3 uses the same drivers, but much larger cabinet, the crossover is @ 1/3 way down
Auris Audio Poison 3 – HiFi Knights

from above Auris Poison 3,"Design-The unorthodox appearance comes from the narrow front baffle with a single fullrange driver (sourced from Fountek) placed close to the top of the speaker, bass woofer (from Peerless) placed on the side but also in the upper half of the baffle, and a tiny tweeter (from Tang Band) placed on the rear. The woofer works up to 300Hz where Fountek takes over up to 17kHz and the tweeter on the rear works from 7kHz to 22kHz. The crossover, as you can see on one of the photos, features high quality components sourced from Mundorf...."

Auris 3 diy clone the crossover looks like (from Speaker Terminals)
Highs 3.3 ohm Res, 2.2 uf Cap, .12 mH Coil, 1.5 uf Cap to tweeter TangBand 13-1761s 3rd order butterworth.

Mid 3.3 ohm Res, .12 mH Coil to Fountek FE85 1st order butterworth.

Bass 2.5mH Coil, 2.2 ufd Cap to Tang band W5-1138smf 2nd order

Check the photos of the crossover

Auris Clone

Would the Auris manufacturer use the same crossover in the Poison 3 &1?
How would it sound versus the Boenicke W5- I don't know.

Last edited:
28.png

One of the xover from the manufacturer used in the Boenicke W5

There's another sorta facsimile Boenicke W5

Clone Boenicke
page 3 from Diyer straits
"Let me break it down:
Cost of drivers
- Fountek FR89EX - $140 a pair (excl shipping prices)
- Fountek FW168 - $130 a pair
- shipping from Parts Express about $100 so total is about $370
Cost of crossovers
- 4.5mH laminated iron inductor - $50 a pair
- 100uF non polar electrolytic capacitor - $10 a pair
- other crossover parts - $30 including 2kHz baffle step and 12kHz notch filters
Total crossover parts cost - $90

Boutique parts cost more.

Others parts cost like wires, binding post, stuffing, panel dampening - $40

Cost of cabinet using 15mm MDF
-$45 for 4'x8' panel inclusive of cutting panels. No hole cuts and no routing. These are extra. I do those myself with my own router and jigsaw.

So materials cost is already $545 (All prices can be found on eBay or Parts Express).

This is without veneering or other type of finishing which can be done by a professional carpenter. Or Synthesis. I suck.

Labour cost to assemble? Initial cost of R&D? Mind you that this is my design and not a simple connect the dots CnP from the Internet.

If anyone is still interested, PM me."

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/31/w8XVDC.jpg

The crossover from the manufacturer shows 7 components vs 6 on the diy clone.

You could search Jeff Bagby's "Quark" Speaker (measures really well) Fountek FE83 disc, substitute FE85, Dayton ND20FA 6 tweeter and Voxel Sub TangBand W5 1138 Paul Carmody) - no rear ambience tweeter. Someone out there might have combined all these together in one cabinet. On youtube 123toid? redesigned the Voxel with a slotted port like the xtremeplace project.

I would consider this, Quark plus this crossover W5 1138smf and whatever box- W5, Auris Clone, Diy Clone 1, Diy Clone 2 and ?

Parts Express 100 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover

Blue Quarks with a Not-Quite-Voxel subwoofer -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Last edited:
Thank you Chris for all the good info, I appreciate.
The Quark with the W5 1138 in one box could be a good solution, has to be as compact as the Boernickle W5 or the Auris poison 1 for me.

Regarding Entonis original design, something surprises me in his XO.
On the schematic it shows 2 caps 10uF and 12uF for the FE85 but on the XO’s picture you can see that they are 2 MKP caps of very different sizes, and most likely more than just 2uF a part.
Could it be that there is a mistake on the cap value on the schematic?
I don’t know if Entonis is still around to comment.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/multi-way/627511d1501014395-boenicke-w5-clone-cs1-jpg

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...512d1501014395-boenicke-w5-clone-img_7476-jpg

Maybe i missed it but are some cabinet CNC files available?

Thanks,

No. But its very easy to reverse engineer it. There are enough pictures available on the internet.

The bigger variant, the W8 are also rather easy to DIY and are even better. Here a test cut :

Attachments

• 6560E4C6-3C57-478D-96DF-D8B624815485.jpeg
    6560E4C6-3C57-478D-96DF-D8B624815485.jpeg
    672.1 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:
Could it be that there is a mistake on the cap value on the schematic?

Beside the capacitor values, the crossover of Entonis also has one coil only. Here is another version of the crossover which corresponds much better to your picture:

ph38n8pe.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know the source of the schematic. I think the values in round brackets are the original ones. Later, they have been adjusted by ear. :)

Beside the capacitor values, the crossover of Entonis also has one coil only. Here is another version of the crossover which corresponds much better to your picture:

ph38n8pe.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know the source of the schematic. I think the values in round brackets are the original ones. Later, they have been adjusted by ear. :)

No, this design was not very good. Tried it a while ago... In the same Thread was a better one.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...The Auris Poison 3…

Auris-glowne1.jpg

Conceptually similar to Tysen V2. A well sorted diy project (using better, but pricier midTweeter) and 2 push-push bass drivers in an ML-TL. The push-push bass drivers have a huge advantage over a single side mounted woofer (we tried that in Tysen V1). 2 of the Silver Flute woofers cost about the same as a single Peerless (we use 2 in a different design) move more air, and goes lower.

A thread for Tysen and variations on WAW / FAST (quite a few other WAW in this thread, including the 2 examples of our WAW with Peerless woofers). Has a bit on the W5 as well,

Tysen-V2-extents.gif

I really need to get a picture now that they are nicely veneered.

tysenV2-passive.jpg

dave

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Interesting designs with the side fire woofer. Something o have considered to try to create a 'big speaker sound' without a large front baffle to aid WAF.

I have some TB W3-871 and SB15NRXC30-8 I may play with in a similar fashion to the Boenicke.

Are the drivers all in phase.? I would try without the ambience tweeter initially but I do like a spacious sound so that may prove invaluable.

Apart from P10 Dave's active design, I am surprised no one has tried a bi amped set up. What with the woofer running full range, one could use one channel to power that and another to power the circuit with the tweeter and FR?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
@dave :
Does push-push function well with the flute w14 membrane ? It's some kind of fabric and i did not know if its really sealed or air can go through the membrane...

Yes. Some woofers you have to be careful mounting push-push, and if the drivers are on the side, the HF will be limited — our measure/XO designer guy pushed the passive XO up to 450 Hz (we biamped at 250 Hz).

The cones are a paper with high wool content. All the ones i have used have also been EnABLed.

dave