Boenicke W5 clone

Loyzek, SufferingArtist and vulejov,

8R|8R 10cm woofers, Visaton SL713 tweeter. On axis at 33cm distance:
627560d1501072289-boenicke-w5-clone-ga15-png
The SL713 has some ringing here and there, most of which is not visible here due to averaging, but it reveals 128kbaud MP3. What a progression, distorting shellack, dirt-attracting vinyl, force-fitting CD, embezzling MP3!

hello , see attached pict. hope all is clear now :)
Where did you get this part? I tried to google and didnt find? Did it yourself?
Sorry, I am a begginner, I have wood and I am planning to take it to the CNC shop to get the Boenicke W5 wood part done. BUT Which speakers I should put in? and which parts? Would really appreciate the help, since seems that I shouldn't put any **** in it :D Doesnt have to be most cheapest parts, just want it to sound great.

Woofer is Tang Band W5-1138smf and midrange is fountek fr88ex.

No, they are not. The Subs are correct, the FRs not. The W5 uses the Fountek FE85. There are reasons, why Sven uses the FE85. Its very linear over a long frequency range and can go very loud with only little distortions. They are used with and Obbligato 10uF in the W5SE and sound very nice.
I also tried many different 3inch Fullrange drivers and I can tell you, that the FE85 fit perfectly in this little speaker. Going lower with crossover was not really an improvement.
After a very long Fullrange 3 inch journey i came back to the FE85 from the originals. The only better choice were the W3-1878, but they cost about 7 times more here in germany.

Good luck with the clones and i wish fun with them. By far the nicest small speakers i know.

Attachments

• 684B3762-6955-48C3-8DAE-5F6EC5FA1858.jpeg
    684B3762-6955-48C3-8DAE-5F6EC5FA1858.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 1,969
Last edited:
No, they are not. The Subs are correct, the FRs not. The W5 uses the Fountek FE85. There are reasons, why Sven uses the FE85. Its very linear over a long frequency range and can go very loud with only little distortions. They are used with and Obbligato 10uF in the W5SE and sound very nice.
I also tried many different 3inch Fullrange drivers and I can tell you, that the FE85 fit perfectly in this little speaker. Going lower with crossover was not really an improvement.
After a very long Fullrange 3 inch journey i came back to the FE85 from the originals. The only better choice were the W3-1878, but they cost about 7 times more here in germany.

Good luck with the clones and i wish fun with them. By far the nicest small speakers i know.

Somehow i've missed this. You're right - FE85 is small FR in Boenicke.

Oh, and i'm not interested in making any clones. I'm more in making my own loudspeakers and even then, none of the loudspeakers i'd design would be even remotely similar to Boenicke in any possible way. I think of Boenicke as of a loudspeaker that is broken by design. The fact that some guys like how it sounds is interesting though.

What is the tweeter at the back with the plugs?

I think that Entonis could give you the answer to that question - or at least what he used. In my opinion, the brand of tweeter on the back is irrelevant since it is there purely for euphonic effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
crossover- go back to post #6 of this thread
the rear tweeter looks like the Tang Band 13-1761s
Tang Band 13-1761s

You could probably build it like the Auris Poison 1 cabinet - same drivers

or build an enclosure with same volume, fullrange enclosed, front baffle same width, calculate the port volume and add a speaker port tube.

see post #31
DIY Clones of commercial speakers

Last edited:
Yes i saw the post by Entonis and plan to use his information
I just wanted to ask if this was the best option for the crossover and some feedback if someone had used this design.
I will build the same cabinet as the original W5 with the TB W5-1138, TB 13-1761 and Fountek FE85