Boenicke W5 clone

Last year at the Munich Fair I was impressed with boenicke w5, but unfortunately price is bigger than my limit , especially SE version
Since we have design studio and 2 CNC machine (for other purpose) I tried to do it something similar, but way is more than complicate since need to make holes on 3 different side s
No meter, if not counting our time, material, drivers, crossover and rest is almost 20 percent of price of W5SE
After I test it, sound is more than awesome
Here is couple pict from production process
BTW my workmates is also make pair for him, and we order material for one pair for our office :)

Attachments

• D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 5,874
  • VSP16.jpg
    VSP16.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 2,401
  • VSP15.jpg
    VSP15.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 2,288
  • VSP14.jpg
    VSP14.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 2,209
  • VSP12.jpg
    VSP12.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 2,653
  • VSP11.jpg
    VSP11.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 5,676
  • D4.jpg
    D4.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 6,417
  • D3.jpg
    D3.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 6,854
  • D2.jpg
    D2.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 5,926
After I test it, sound is more than awesome
Here is couple pict from production process
It would be nice to see some measurements, and xover scheme..
I saw measurements for original speaker which are disgusting..

Attachments

• boenicke-audio-w5-lautsprecher-stereo-36510.jpg
    boenicke-audio-w5-lautsprecher-stereo-36510.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 4,628
  • boenicke-audio-w5-lautsprecher-stereo-36511.jpg
    boenicke-audio-w5-lautsprecher-stereo-36511.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,718
Last edited:
I will repeat..
This is hifi, not forum for carpenters..
Boenicke is ridiculous project..

Im not sure about this carpenters? since speaker consist cabinet, driver, crossover, ... I see some project with cardboard cabinet but if U educate yourself a little bit more, u can find that is one favorite HI FI company make cabinet and after that make drivers to adapt to this cabinet (to help U, at first company make just drivers, now U can not buy drivers, only complete speakers)
Ill attach scheme , pict and impedance dia ...

Attachments

• IMG_7478.JPG
    IMG_7478.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,822
  • IMG_7476.JPG
    IMG_7476.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 3,592
  • CS1.jpg
    CS1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4,038
Reactions: 1 users
The original is very expensive - more than I would pay.

The clone looks very nice. It makes me want to contact a local CNC shop for my own ideas :)

entonis, did you make the blanks (the glued-together slabs of wood) yourself? Was the wood well aged? How have you sealed the wood from moisture?

If you are making another pair, perhaps consider making it with non-smooth inner walls, like the attached picture.

Attachments

• pbn.sammy.2.jpg
    pbn.sammy.2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,031
The original is very expensive - more than I would pay.

The clone looks very nice. It makes me want to contact a local CNC shop for my own ideas :)

entonis, did you make the blanks (the glued-together slabs of wood) yourself? Was the wood well aged? How have you sealed the wood from moisture?

If you are making another pair, perhaps consider making it with non-smooth inner walls, like the attached picture.

vulejov please dont read this, this is just carpenters things !!!

1) We order wooden blocks, I have a lot problem to find person to make me this, since lot woods board is cut on 1 or 2 inch thickness, and speaker need to be 52 mm after processing, so need min 60 mm thickness
Wood that we using is stay 3 yrs in mud, and after that thermal processing. U can see how looking sawdust, like for metal
After processing wood is coated with 3 layers wax/oil home made mixture (Bee wax, linen, teak and olive oil - industry oil, not standard for cooking) I have lucky since my wife is chemical :) See attached pict 1

2) I dont like to make it from layers wood (this is lot faster job, just contour cut instead pocket drill, but I looking some German DIY project, and dont like how looking with layers-therefore we pay more than 3x to make thickness from just one layer - 52 mm (see pict 2-3 with layers)

3) we make some project - Transmission line but im not impressed with this, probably some mistake with calculation :)))) See pict 4
But I think that can make with damping pattern layer

Attachments

• IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 3,280
  • Cl1.JPG
    Cl1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 3,233
  • Cl2.JPG
    Cl2.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,325
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 3,296
Entonis, went through the trouble of analyzing a bit of the XO electrical design and if you ever feel like having a go at improving the sound quality, give it some thought of lowering the XO point between woofer and full ranger by introducing a 2nd order LP filter for the woofer and a 2nd order HP for the full ranger. 12 uF is causing impedance to take a dive at HF which is maybe unnecessary as a measure to pad its SPL down.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear Loyzek, i think, the sole particularily nice thing about the Boenicke W5 is transient response, and i would not advise steeper filters. I copied thy bread-cutter-into-coil-winder morph, thanks, works well! I have a small conventional stereo with subwoofer, left and rite satellite, around my desk, and it sounds nice when sitting down and having the left box much closer to me than the rite one or way back in the far-field of the kitchen, but when standing in the equilateral position, the cancellations corrodate my nerves. I built a mono box:
attachment.php

8R|8R 10cm woofers, Visaton SL713 tweeter. On axis at 33cm distance:
attachment.php

Sounds cutting and present with a 5W amp, but I am gonna build a 20W amp for it. Passive X-overs do not need to be bulky copper dumps, as i use small ferrite cores, and thin wire for series notches, which are necessary for most 1st-order X-overs.

Attachments

• ga15.jpg
    ga15.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 10,388
  • ga15.png
    ga15.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 8,736
Buff... Desktop is the worst posible placement for any speaker. What a waste of money and hard wood for a hopeless project...:eek:

PD: Sorry, i have to edit, it's not a desktop speaker, but a floorstanding design...a floorstander for the wealthy center european posh...:p

Last edited:
Bass

Wonder if this is a project worth undertaking.

Hi-Fi News March 2017 carried a review and tech measuring of the Boenicke W8 Standard at £5526/pair. They said the speakers achieved about 80Hz bass extension: "..expect its bass extension to be limited, but even so the 80Hz (–6dB re. 200Hz) recorded by our diffraction-corrected nearfield measurement is slightly disappointing. The W8 would benefit in this regard from being used with a wall close behind it, but its rear-mounted tweeter may preclude that."

Consider the W5 which is very much smaller. I wonder where the actual -3dB bass is?
Do they get their perceived corpulent bass from using the 'LS3/5A trick"? (100Hz boost.)

If I were to make a copy or close enough of such a design I d like them to have some bass around 40Hz. Just my take.