Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Boenicke W5 clone
Boenicke W5 clone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2017, 08:31 AM   #11
entonis is offline entonis  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
The original is very expensive - more than I would pay.

The clone looks very nice. It makes me want to contact a local CNC shop for my own ideas

entonis, did you make the blanks (the glued-together slabs of wood) yourself? Was the wood well aged? How have you sealed the wood from moisture?

If you are making another pair, perhaps consider making it with non-smooth inner walls, like the attached picture.
vulejov please dont read this, this is just carpenters things !!!

1) We order wooden blocks, I have a lot problem to find person to make me this, since lot woods board is cut on 1 or 2 inch thickness, and speaker need to be 52 mm after processing, so need min 60 mm thickness
Wood that we using is stay 3 yrs in mud, and after that thermal processing. U can see how looking sawdust, like for metal
After processing wood is coated with 3 layers wax/oil home made mixture (Bee wax, linen, teak and olive oil - industry oil, not standard for cooking) I have lucky since my wife is chemical :-) See attached pict 1

2) I dont like to make it from layers wood (this is lot faster job, just contour cut instead pocket drill, but I looking some German DIY project, and dont like how looking with layers-therefore we pay more than 3x to make thickness from just one layer - 52 mm (see pict 2-3 with layers)

3) we make some project - Transmission line but im not impressed with this, probably some mistake with calculation :-)))) See pict 4
But I think that can make with damping pattern layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6530.jpg (628.8 KB, 1421 views)
File Type: jpg Cl1.JPG (30.5 KB, 1427 views)
File Type: jpg Cl2.JPG (31.8 KB, 1415 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1562.JPG (468.3 KB, 1406 views)
Old 26th July 2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hello entonis, I am very fond of the woodwork you have achieved. Can you explain the XO schematic? I guess the side firing unit is Tang Band W5-1138 and the front is Fountek FE 85. Where is the tweeter (twitve) unit coming from?
Old 26th July 2017, 09:19 AM   #13
entonis is offline entonis  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Hello entonis, I am very fond of the woodwork you have achieved. Can you explain the XO schematic? I guess the side firing unit is Tang Band W5-1138 and the front is Fountek FE 85. Where is the tweeter (twitve) unit coming from?

hello , see attached pict. hope all is clear now :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0758.jpg (249.9 KB, 1405 views)
Old 26th July 2017, 09:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Oh, a rear firing one! Thanks.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Entonis, went through the trouble of analyzing a bit of the XO electrical design and if you ever feel like having a go at improving the sound quality, give it some thought of lowering the XO point between woofer and full ranger by introducing a 2nd order LP filter for the woofer and a 2nd order HP for the full ranger. 12 uF is causing impedance to take a dive at HF which is maybe unnecessary as a measure to pad its SPL down.
Old 26th July 2017, 01:31 PM   #16
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia
diyAudio Member

That's some lovely woodwork. Are you going to add the 3" long piece of pvc coated wire?
Old 26th July 2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Grasso789 is offline Grasso789  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear Loyzek, i think, the sole particularily nice thing about the Boenicke W5 is transient response, and i would not advise steeper filters. I copied thy bread-cutter-into-coil-winder morph, thanks, works well! I have a small conventional stereo with subwoofer, left and rite satellite, around my desk, and it sounds nice when sitting down and having the left box much closer to me than the rite one or way back in the far-field of the kitchen, but when standing in the equilateral position, the cancellations corrodate my nerves. I built a mono box:
Boenicke W5 clone-ga15-jpg
8R|8R 10cm woofers, Visaton SL713 tweeter. On axis at 33cm distance:
Boenicke W5 clone-ga15-png
Sounds cutting and present with a 5W amp, but I am gonna build a 20W amp for it. Passive X-overs do not need to be bulky copper dumps, as i use small ferrite cores, and thin wire for series notches, which are necessary for most 1st-order X-overs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ga15.jpg (97.0 KB, 2669 views)
File Type: png ga15.png (8.5 KB, 1944 views)
Old 26th July 2017, 01:46 PM   #18
GDO is offline GDO
diyAudio Member

Buff... Desktop is the worst posible placement for any speaker. What a waste of money and hard wood for a hopeless project...

PD: Sorry, i have to edit, it's not a desktop speaker, but a floorstanding design...a floorstander for the wealthy center european posh...
"Fitz: I want to use an 8 inch woofer for more bass and a dipolar ribbon tweeter for sweet highs. And the enclosure should be a box with a vent, like everybody uses." S.L. Conversations with Fitz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59C7KZ5i42A

Last edited by GDO; 26th July 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 26th July 2017, 02:11 PM   #19
SufferingArtist is offline SufferingArtist  Singapore
Banned

Default Bass

Wonder if this is a project worth undertaking.

Hi-Fi News March 2017 carried a review and tech measuring of the Boenicke W8 Standard at 5526/pair. They said the speakers achieved about 80Hz bass extension: "..expect its bass extension to be limited, but even so the 80Hz (6dB re. 200Hz) recorded by our diffraction-corrected nearfield measurement is slightly disappointing. The W8 would benefit in this regard from being used with a wall close behind it, but its rear-mounted tweeter may preclude that."

Consider the W5 which is very much smaller. I wonder where the actual -3dB bass is?
Do they get their perceived corpulent bass from using the 'LS3/5A trick"? (100Hz boost.)

If I were to make a copy or close enough of such a design I d like them to have some bass around 40Hz. Just my take.
Old 26th July 2017, 03:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Grasso, I am happy for you that your coil winding machine works to your satisfaction and won't argue over your preference regarding transient response ( probably step response).

Boenicke W5 cloneHide this!Advertise here!