Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Opinions: Tweeter Crossover - High vs Low?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2017, 09:03 PM   #51
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Yes of course, that's why you have it backwards. You have to start with the results for the listener, not with the speaker. And, if possible in a typical if not specific room. You can't hear beaming only the complex consequences of dispersion in a room....
Yes... Complex consequences of beaming in case of extended range direct radiator that has to cover everything from 500Hz to 20000Hz.

Quote:
...If you are arguing about hearing at 20kHz, the many changes that always happen for many reasons as you move your hear an inch, and 10-degree lobes, then you are arguing for the defence of your ego, not about human music perception...
Now you're just spinning the subject by trying to be politely insulting. At this moment i'm arguing about existence of change in tonality from 3KHz-20KHz as a product of a different dispersion pattern in extended range direct radiator speaker compared to classic dome tweeter. Only presumption is that they are both of good quality as they can be and are implemented correctly. If you can not hear it or know how to measure it, lots of us can. That is one of the reasons people don't use cheaper, but in your opinion superior mid-hi 3" extended range drivers instead of tweeters.

Quote:
...These arguments have been examined at great length in past discussions of the Geddes speaker with waveguide treble (which he builds to have good dispersion definition).

B.
I'd like you to find and post the arguments here. I too have spent quite amount of time reading Earl's papers and posts. I consider him one of leading authorities on the subject. I'm quite curious what exactly are you referring to in his posts that will counter what i have written.

Last edited by Zvu; 22nd July 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 23rd July 2017, 03:14 AM   #52
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Zvu, I quite like a cone tweeter myself. I looked at the 3" Visaton FRS 8 M, which is conveniently more efficient than your FRS 8.

Click the image to open in full size.

But what I run into is that a 3" driver just naturally breaks up at 10 kHz. It's how it works. Just like a 6" driver breaks up at 5kHz. Some severe problems at 10 kHz anyway. Maybe a supertweeter should kick in a bit lower. It would help dispersion too. A traditional weakness of cones. All, in speakers is compromise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Visaton FRS 8 M.JPG (49.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: png Visaton FRS 8 M design.PNG (12.4 KB, 156 views)
Old 19th August 2017, 11:21 PM   #53
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I use the TG9 myself. I know that the TC9 has received a lot of praise so I threw it in there as well.
Madisound gave us 2 pr of the TG9 for raffle prizes for this year’s diyFEST. Just heard the TG9s and it is clear they are a big step up from the TC9. Right after the TG9 we switched in the Mark Audio Alpair 5.2eN which were at least an order of magnitude superior, especially better with low level detail (DDR).

dave

Opinions: Tweeter Crossover - High vs Low?Hide this!Advertise here!