DIY PMC MB2 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Started on the wiring today.

AgE3mFa.jpg

9okhg59.jpg

Ask15Pq.jpg

Andy and Charles, it's a lot of wool. The whole filling of a B&W DM6 is in the box. This seems to be an interesting read What I can do Is leave one box empty and measure both to see the difference and subsequently choose the right amount of filling. Wouldn't you recommend filling the box?

Hugo, indeed it's a SCM45 clone :) slightly larger with bigger woofers and more amplifier power. It should go an octave deeper than the SCM45 which is -2dB at 70Hz. Simulation says -2dB at 36Hz for the Valtori. Maximum spl for the SCM45 is 109dB (I very much doubt it will put out the lower octaves with this spl). Max SPL for the Valtori will be 112dB>50Hz and 108dB@30Hz (this is also optimistic :) )

Last edited:
I haven't read the article but the pictures are of the right sort of thing so it is likely to be a reasonable source of guidance. The box needs to be stuffed enough to remove the internal resonances but not too much to hinder the operation of the port. The stuffing needs to be densest in the middle to be most effective at damping the internal resonances and not stuck to the walls as you often see done.

Happy new year everybody. It's been a while. The speakers are finally (almost) finished. The contour came in and I have gotten an old laptop from the attic with windows xp on it and installed the 5.8 software. Amazing device. Real time adjustments via an ethernet cable. Virtually endless amounts of dsp power. We set it up with near linear phase xovers. After days off listening and dialing I set the crossovers at 450hz and 2kHz. The speakers sound best with the mids out of phase and the woofers and tweeters in phase. This was also confirmed in the FR plots where the mids in phase create a notch dip at the xovers.
I played with the delay but I'm not sure what to do with it. The FR is the smoothest if I leave the delays alone.

FR on the listening spot at the desk:

B1CqKKJ.jpg

Astonishing deep bass and very dynamic even at low volume. And they can play loud. Our previous Dynaudio M1.5 could play loud but these speakers have more headroom and can hit you in the chest if necessary. They are not aggressive to listen to.

Thanks Hugo. 2x parallel SBA Satori 9,5" WO24P8, 1x Volt VM752, 1x SBA Satori TW29RN-B. Xover 450hz & 2kHz

Changed the mid back in phase. It seemed better at first but when you move around the sweetspot the sound changes too much.
There is still too much hiss coming out of the speakers even with the in and outputs muted. The signal is way too hot for the Aragon which puts out maximum power at 1,42V (+5,4dBu).
The lake is +21dBu so I was thinking of soldering a -15dB pad in the cables to reduce the hiss and maximize the dynamic range. The output impedance of the lake is 50 Ohm. The input impedance of the Aragon is 20kOhm. Still have to figure out the right resistor values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.