Port length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i've got a boombox enclosure with 10 litres. Drivers are dual 4" Faital Pro 4FE32 full spectrum. With the online calculator I used a 30mm inside diameter single pvc hose with 8cm length. The sound is totally miserable.
I removed the port and filled the hole with the before cut piece and sanded it.

Now i got myself a 36mm inside diam. port. I'll use dual ports on each half sides of the back panel. Since I can't trust online calculators no more I'm leaning towards your help guys. What length should i use? Tuning should be around 81Hz.

Thanks

So i've got a boombox enclosure with 10 litres. Drivers are dual 4" Faital Pro 4FE32 full spectrum. With the online calculator I used a 30mm inside diameter single pvc hose with 8cm length. The sound is totally miserable.
I removed the port and filled the hole with the before cut piece and sanded it.

Now i got myself a 36mm inside diam. port. I'll use dual ports on each half sides of the back panel. Since I can't trust online calculators no more I'm leaning towards your help guys. What length should i use? Tuning should be around 81Hz.

Thanks

If i understood correctly - you will be using 2 pieces of 4fe32 in 10 liter volume and you are planning to use 2 BR pipes per cabinet with inner diameter of 3.6 cm ?

If that's so, the length of pipes should be 7.5cm each for tuning at 81Hz. It looks like this:

Attachments

• 2 komada 4fe32.gif
    2 komada 4fe32.gif
    26 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I used these two online calculators.

LinearTeam
Port Length Calculator

I use macintosh but have access to windows pc occasionally. These calculations are very unfamiliar to me, so many parameters I don't know how to properly use therefore I'm a bit sceptical using the simulating software.

Longer port means lower tuning? I'm limited with enclosures depth with around 11cm for the ports length. So leaving a few centimetres after the inside port opening might be advisable?

Thanks everyone for your replies, N

You're welcome!

This calculator specs a bit too long a vent, so tunes it a little lower, though wouldn't normally be audible. Since it doesn't do multiple vents, there's no frictional losses accounted for, so may be audibly lower if tuned > ~40 Hz. Again, not normally an issue unless trying to tune to exact Fs for whatever reason.

A pipe's basic end correction is radius*0.613, so 3x this length is a good plan, but folks tend to just use the vent's diameter.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.