Audax pr170mo Woofer selection... which 15 inch woofer 98db eff...

hi everyone

I already have my Audax pr170mo and audax pr120 in a 30L sealed box and Im looking for a hi-efficiency woofer, around 98db eff that can reach down to f3: 35hz. im willing to use a very big bass enclosure (up to 250L) if needed.

ill use a 400hz 1st order XO

my choice so far for hi-efficiency 15 inch woofer are:

Eminence omega pro15
Beyma 15b100
Audax PR330M0
JBL 2226h

Id like more recommendations and suggestions!

my budget is max 600$ for the pair.

thanks a lot

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What kind of enclosure do you want? I presume BR. With the Eminence you won't get down to 35Hz/-3dB. The Beyma would, it needs ~200l for it. But you won't get 98dB on 15", the high spl is not reached in the bass let alone subbass, that's for the lower mids or higher. You can count on probably 94-95dB. If you need more, you'll need a bandpass or horn (which will be much bigger).

thanks, I know real efficiency of the audax 170mo is about 97db so I can probably live with 95db woofer.

yes, BR enclosure... ideally if I can get -10db at 30hz im happy.

I could go as big as 300L...
I already have the eminence omega pro 15 but if there's a better woofer suited for my project, id go with something else...

What kind of enclosure do you want? I presume BR. With the Eminence you won't get down to 35Hz/-3dB. The Beyma would, it needs ~200l for it. But you won't get 98dB on 15", the high spl is not reached in the bass let alone subbass, that's for the lower mids or higher. You can count on probably 94-95dB. If you need more, you'll need a bandpass or horn (which will be much bigger).
how much would the eminence pro15 in 250L give me in Eff? would it match the Audax mid?

I give up on my first goal of f3 at 35hz, its not realistic. if I can get a -10db at 30hz im happy!

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
thanks, I know real efficiency of the audax 170mo is about 97db so I can probably live with 95db woofer.

No, you don't understand. You won't get more spl per watt in the sub-bass, that's limited by the driver size. If you want more, you need a bigger driver. And no matter how much it states in the datasheet - these values in the specs only apply for lower mid on upwards because it directly depends on the geometry (cone surface Sd) of the driver.

how much would the eminence pro15 in 250L give me in Eff? would it match the Audax mid?

The Eminence Omega Pro15 isn't a sub, it's a bass-mid driver. Even 300l will not get it much lower, especally not with with high spl. Besides that, the excursion isn't exactly huge (3,2mm).

But look for yourself:

attachment.php

That means, you cannot force every driver to specs they aren't made for. The Emmi will perform nice in a PA top or conservative PA fullrange, from ~60-140l.

I give up on my first goal of f3 at 35hz, its not realistic. if I can get a -10db at 30hz im happy!

Well, it's not unrealistic. But the f3 won't be refering to 98dB, it will refering to ~95dB.

attachment.php

So you see, more than 200l does not help much, no point in giving them more volume.

Attachments

• Eminence Omega Pro15 BR.jpg
    Eminence Omega Pro15 BR.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 885
  • Beyma 15b100 BR.jpg
    Beyma 15b100 BR.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 857
Some of the best very efficient options that will reach low are the Great Plains Audio Altec remakes. An alternative to a single 15", since you're not stuck with concerns about directivity matching for this system, would be to use an array of smaller drivers to achieve desired F3. I like using multiples for the design flexibility.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The silk ( 96 dB) and titanium dome ( 94 dB) tweeters from Audax are a good match too.

The Audax PR125T1 (silk dome with horn) is not a good partner for the mid, it has to be crossed over at at least 3kHz (better >3,5) and the PR170M0 already starts to resonante there. For the TW025A28 the spl is too low (93dB@2kHz) and it got a very wide dip between 6,5 and 9kHz where it only reaches 90dB. About which one were you taking?

IMO a horn or WG and a compression driver would be a much better choice. At least it can keep up with the dynamics of the other drivers.

No professional series, I was talking of the TW 025 line -The gold one is rated 97 dB/W/m :innocent: They have all a sort of horn ( waveguide it is )
Then you forget, dear ICG, that after filtering, the speaker lose some dB's
:rolleyes:
Same as OP that thinks that "his crossover" ( see parallel thread ) can't manage to cut some amplitude from the tweeter :confused:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No professional series, I was talking of the TW 025 line -The gold one is rated 97 dB/W/m :innocent: They have all a sort of horn ( waveguide it is )

The Audax PR125T1 isn't actually a professional driver, that's for power-HIFI. And I can't say I like what I'm seeing at the data sheet (PDF). Look at the waterfall decay measurement, there are horn drivers that are cheaper, louder, got a better linearity + decay and are able to cross over lower (i.e. Kenford Comp 34 + HL607).

The gold one does not have a horn or WG and it's rated with a lower SPL, look at the Audax datasheet:

attachment.php

Then you forget, dear ICG, that after filtering, the speaker lose some dB's
:rolleyes:
Same as OP that thinks that "his crossover" ( see parallel thread ) can't manage to cut some amplitude from the tweeter :confused:

:eek: *stunned*

You are right, you'll lose a few dB there too. You can't just mix some drivers, shake a bit and expect it to be linear. And since you can't increase the level passive, it HAS to go down. Except if you found the absolute perfect drivers. ;)

Attachments

• tw025a28-3.jpg
    tw025a28-3.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
im using my omega pro 15a, but one have been repaired and poorly, so it plays 3db less loud then the other woofer
decided to upgrade the woofers, hence my revival of this thread :)

im looking for the best 15" that sound alive and musical and low spl.
Beyma, Faital?

short list is faital 15PR400, Beyma15B100R