Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

driver cabinet isolation
driver cabinet isolation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2017, 03:10 AM   #1
1fspd is offline 1fspd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default driver cabinet isolation

Was thinking about how to isolate a mid driver from itís cabinet. Iíve read several threads with ideas like magnet mounting drivers, or screw mounting with silicone and cork between the driver and cabinet.

I was thinking of floating the driver on a cork/silicone or possible cork/green glue gasket, but fastening the driver by tensioning it with a spring or bungie cord to the magnet. The cord would then extend through the rear of the cabinet allowing the driver to be tensioned and held in place. My thinking is the elastic nature of the spring or bungie would dissipate some energy before it makes contact with the rear of the cabinet.

Iíve certainly seen drivers mounted via rods the to rear of the cabinet, but never using something elastic.

Wondering if itís an idea worth building a test cabinet?

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 8.41.22 PM.jpg (81.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 15th June 2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

driver cabinet isolation
That spring would resonate like a piano string. Most complicated and best I believe is to build a box in box with a layer of soft silicone in between. The front baffle hole of the outer enclosure you cutout 1mm or so larger in radius than the mid flange and you use a small flange on the inner enclosure to mount the mid to so it remains alligned on the front baffle. Not that hard to build if you thing but once done, cannot be dismantled. For bass drivers its more complicated as they`re heavy - I want to try engine suspension shock mounts to hold the inner enclosure from the bottom and the rest to be held in allignment by silicone but have no idea if this would work.

I`ll follow this thread with interest

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 15th June 2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 15th June 2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

Another method will be to build a cabinet, that would not resonate much or not.
Old 15th June 2017, 08:53 AM   #4
S4m is offline S4m  Germany
diyAudio Member

http://www.fairaudio.de/dwt/img/test...te-Paper-4.gif

This is what Naim did with the Ovator to isolate the BMR from the cabinet.
The BMR is fixed on a cylinder volumina that is floating attached to the cabinet with leaf springs.
Maybe interesting for your task...
Old 15th June 2017, 01:52 PM   #5
twinter is offline twinter  United States
diyAudio Member

See prior thread on this forum, starting around Post #202 for "decoupling of driver frame attachment" methods.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...abinet-21.html

driver cabinet isolationHide this!Advertise here!