driver cabinet isolation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was thinking about how to isolate a mid driver from it’s cabinet. I’ve read several threads with ideas like magnet mounting drivers, or screw mounting with silicone and cork between the driver and cabinet.

I was thinking of floating the driver on a cork/silicone or possible cork/green glue gasket, but fastening the driver by tensioning it with a spring or bungie cord to the magnet. The cord would then extend through the rear of the cabinet allowing the driver to be tensioned and held in place. My thinking is the elastic nature of the spring or bungie would dissipate some energy before it makes contact with the rear of the cabinet.

I’ve certainly seen drivers mounted via rods the to rear of the cabinet, but never using something elastic.

Wondering if it’s an idea worth building a test cabinet?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 8.41.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 8.41.22 PM.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 153
That spring would resonate like a piano string. Most complicated and best I believe is to build a box in box with a layer of soft silicone in between. The front baffle hole of the outer enclosure you cutout 1mm or so larger in radius than the mid flange and you use a small flange on the inner enclosure to mount the mid to so it remains alligned on the front baffle. Not that hard to build if you thing but once done, cannot be dismantled. For bass drivers its more complicated as they`re heavy - I want to try engine suspension shock mounts to hold the inner enclosure from the bottom and the rest to be held in allignment by silicone but have no idea if this would work.

I`ll follow this thread with interest :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.