Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Matching 12 inch woofer with 4 inch mid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2017, 01:25 AM   #1
awdtalon21 is offline awdtalon21  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Matching 12 inch woofer with 4 inch mid

Should I have gone with a bigger mid range speaker to match with the woofer, i'm not liking the way its sounding around the 400hz range.

Using minidsp to set crossovers

Dayton Audio DS315-8 12 - 30hz to 200hz 12/db
Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 400hz to 3000k 12/dx
Dayton Audio RS28A-4 - 4000k 12/db
Old 7th June 2017, 02:36 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds how?

GM
Old 7th June 2017, 02:54 AM   #3
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

First try something to make a big difference. Move the mid to 800, that should let the 4" get loud without strain, then try backing down, see what you can get away with. There's a happy spot somewhere.
Old 7th June 2017, 03:30 AM   #4
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default freqency response curve, Tymphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdtalon21 View Post
Should I have gone with a bigger mid range speaker to match with the woofer, i'm not liking the way its sounding around the 400hz range.Using minidsp to set crossovers:
Dayton Audio DS315-8 12 - 30hz to 200hz 12/db
Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 400hz to 3000k 12/dx
Dayton Audio RS28A-4 - 4000k 12/db
Hi there a: Looked up the frequency response curve published by Tymphany, available at Parts Express, Part Number 264-1128, and nothing jumps out as out of bounds at that frequency. Since the NE-123w will reach 200hz reasonably flat to 250hz, maybe try adjusting crossover for 6db slope from 400hz down on the mid range and the Dayton woofer slope 12db down from about 300+-. An overlap sometimes helps smooth response. ...regards, Michael
Old 7th June 2017, 09:00 AM   #5
wmd916 is offline wmd916  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.michael droke View Post
Hi there a: Looked up the frequency response curve published by Tymphany, available at Parts Express, Part Number 264-1128, and nothing jumps out as out of bounds at that frequency. Since the NE-123w will reach 200hz reasonably flat to 250hz, maybe try adjusting crossover for 6db slope from 400hz down on the mid range and the Dayton woofer slope 12db down from about 300+-. An overlap sometimes helps smooth response. ...regards, Michael
I agree. My guess, and only a guess was that the OP is experiencing a dip between the woofer and mid given his crossover frequencies. Likely one between the mid and tweet too.

I suggest a small investment in a microphone and make some measurements. There could be many things going on considering he didnt give much in the way of any EQ or system description, enclosure details, what he perceives he's missing, etc, etc, etc.

-Wes
Old 7th June 2017, 09:07 AM   #6
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd916 View Post
I suggest a small investment in a microphone and make some measurements.
Without measurements you're just guessing.

Even the mic in your laptop can provide the help you need, using REW. Simply check the intact speakers and then each driver individually.

It should be eye-opening.

B.
Old 7th June 2017, 04:18 PM   #7
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

How are you loading the 4"? I have used it in several designs. Works well as a mid range in a sealed and stuffed 4.5-6 liter sub enclosure. QTC' around .64 - . 68. Great driver! If you take it up high a simple trap is needed to flatten the rising response.
Old 7th June 2017, 05:43 PM   #8
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you taken baffle step into account?
The geometry of your box (I'm assuming its not OB) can have a profound affect.
Also, what are your SPL goals? if they are modest, 400 Hz may be too high a crossover point.
I agree with the other posters. You will never know until you measure.

Matching 12 inch woofer with 4 inch midHide this!Advertise here!