Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Use of Component speakers for mid/high on an Open Baffle
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2017, 02:51 PM   #1
juliopr is offline juliopr  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default Use of Component speakers for mid/high on an Open Baffle

Hello. I am curious about the use of car audio speakers in home audio projects. Can I use a Morel component system combined with a pair of Eminence alpha 15A woofers in an open baffle design? cons?
Old 4th June 2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Eminence alpha 15A are designed for bass-mid or mid range in closed casing.
Old 4th June 2017, 04:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your answer... but I will be more specific... Is there any limitation in using a car audio component system for mids and highs in an open baffle speaker? The alphas already handle the bass perfectly. My concern is if the component's midbass can be used to handle the midrange and the tweeter the highs..
Old 4th June 2017, 04:30 PM   #4
anji12305 is offline anji12305  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliopr View Post
Is there any limitation in using a car audio component system for mids and highs in an open baffle speaker?
They should work, but check the impedance of prospective drivers, many are 4 ohm nominal
for auto applications.
Old 4th June 2017, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response... no problem with that... the alphas are also wired in parallel for a 4 ohm impedance and the amps that I am using can handle 4 ohm loads.. I am bi amping the system.. active xover between the alphas and the Morel Tempo midbass units and the passive xover between the midbass units and the tweeters..
Old 4th June 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
Ahhhh !!! One lone voice of reason besides myself !!!

Hallo landsman, I was almost ready to give up on endlessly trying to get my fellow speaker building enthusiasts to undersatnd about frontwave/backwave cancellation. Some will just NEVER "get it"

Last edited by Scott L; 4th June 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 4th June 2017, 04:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
Ahhhh !!! One lone voice of reason besides myself !!!

Hallo landsman, I was almost ready to give up on endlessly trying to get my fellow speaker building enthusiasts to undersatnd about frontwave/backwave cancellation. Some will just NEVER "get it"
Im sorry... maybe I do not understand.. are you saying or stating with your comment that the Alphas are not capable to be used as open baffle drivers or do you acknowledge the use?
Old 4th June 2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliopr View Post
Im sorry... maybe I do not understand.. are you saying or stating with your comment that the Alphas are not capable to be used as open baffle drivers or do you acknowledge the use?
No.

I'm stating that several speaker builders do not understand front-to-back wave cancellation.
Old 4th June 2017, 05:04 PM   #9
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
The Eminence Alpha 15A is one of the most populat open-baffle bass drivers, and with good reason - the exceptionally high Qts means it'll provide a useful LF response when you slap it on a baffle, with minimal work.

Chris
Old 4th June 2017, 05:18 PM   #10
GDO is offline GDO
diyAudio Member

Most cheap pa replacement woofers can also do that simply thanks to their smallish magnet, 40 or 50oz, giving high qts...

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...oofer--290-384
"Fitz: I want to use an 8 inch woofer for more bass and a dipolar ribbon tweeter for sweet highs. And the enclosure should be a box with a vent, like everybody uses." S.L. Conversations with Fitz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59C7KZ5i42A

Use of Component speakers for mid/high on an Open BaffleHide this!Advertise here!