Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New Danley Invention
New Danley Invention
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2017, 10:51 PM   #11
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

X, it is in the Square Pegs thread. I copied the link from there. It did make me LOL..... you gotta stay til the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tjs1mvmy4...13326.mts?dl=0
Old 19th May 2017, 01:35 AM   #12
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb132333 View Post
It did make me LOL.....
Thanx! Excellent!!
Old 19th May 2017, 01:36 AM   #13
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

That's the one
Old 19th May 2017, 02:08 AM   #14
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

What do you wager the dimensions of that cabinet are? Guessing by the water bottle in the background it might be about 2x2x4 feet?

I was messing around in Hornresp and if you put two conical horn sections on the end of a tube you can get some pretty narrow wavefronts over a wide frequency range.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:32 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRX View Post
What do you wager the dimensions of that cabinet are? Guessing by the water bottle in the background it might be about 2x2x4 feet?

I was messing around in Hornresp and if you put two conical horn sections on the end of a tube you can get some pretty narrow wavefronts over a wide frequency range.
There's something new in there, I guarantee it

To get a 20x40 pattern with a conventional horn you'd need something that's about eight feet deep

The 'trick' is to bend the waveform using something like Danley's Paraline, Layered Combiner, or L'Acoustic's VDOSC

You can get the same wavefront using DSP but you're not going to get efficiency in the realm of what Ivan Beaver has mentioned on Facebook

From the looks of it, the box is about the size of a Danley Jericho J-3, or about 4 feet tall!
Old 19th May 2017, 03:01 AM   #16
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Magic can happen !

Well, it sure seems like it anyway

Looking forward to Actual spec results & graphs etc
Old 19th May 2017, 04:15 AM   #17
zettairyouiki is offline zettairyouiki  United States
diyAudio Member

This is all wild speculation, but my bet is that they "synergy'd" the layered combiner used in the Jericho series. Just like a paraline lens shapes the exit radiation with whatever curvature you like (even converging), if you design a geometry that allows you to control that curvature in two dimensions, you could essentially have any coverage angle you wanted in a shallow package.

Find a way to tap in mids and lows for seamless integration, and that sounds like you're there.

As for the output potential, well who knows. Drivers like the BMS 4592ND basically seem to break the laws of physics, so I wouldn't be surprised if multiple BMS coax CDs are part of the secret sauce. Maybe cram a few 15SW115s in there for some crazy low band output in a compact, lightweight package.

Last edited by zettairyouiki; 19th May 2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Whatever is in there, it's going to look something like the Paraline or VDOSC or Layered Combiner, IMHO.

Here's why:

A single compression driver can deliver about 109dB at 2000Hz.
Two of them can do 112dB.
Four can do 115dB.

etc...

So if you had four compression drivers that were each capable of handling 100 watts, you could squeeze about 141dB out of the array, and that assumes that they're summing perfectly.

That's the key here - the perfect summation. Even the biggest array in the world won't come close to this, because the output of a giant array is limited by the maximum output of a single compression driver. This is because the compression drivers in a line array form a continuous arc; basically each element in the array produces output over a narrow angle. If the maximum output of a single high frequency unit in a JBL line array is 130dB, then that's the maximum output of the ENTIRE array, no matter how many elements you add.

That's the curious thing about the Paralines and Layered Combiners, it offers the interesting possibility of turning multiple compression drivers into one high output unit.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:22 AM   #19
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Focused array, "squashed" exit - for the higher freq.s would do it, and you could even do it fairly cheaply.

..Though it's probably not this; I could see 32 2" "fullrange" OEM drivers with 64 ohm VC's parallel-connected to 4 ohm average, horn-loaded, and in an undersized volume cabinet. Maybe even planar drivers..

Last edited by ScottG; 19th May 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 19th May 2017, 07:16 AM   #20
oohms is offline oohms  Australia
diyAudio Member

It looks like it could be a horn loaded line array, with 'separators' between the drivers that would extend to say where the screen is

edit: a horn loaded line array of say 3 inch drivers, with 'synergy' bass units

Last edited by oohms; 19th May 2017 at 07:20 AM.

New Danley InventionHide this!Advertise here!