HiVi F6 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, i need some help with my F6 project. I am doing 2 way vented box with follow size 39,3/18,3/23sm. (h/w/d) which is around 16l. I get follow port settings from Swans's representative:
Fb = 55.09 Hz
QL = 7
F3 = 59.32 Hz
Fill = normal
No. of Vents = 2
Vent shape = round
Vent ends = one flared
Dv = 42 mm
Lv = 140 mm
but i am not sure is this good enough. I think Fb and F3 are too high, especially F3.
What do you think about this reccomendations, i need professional advice and i hope to find it here.
Please excuse my english! Thank you!

Ask not for professional advice for I'll have to charge you professionally. Joke!
Your volume calculations are referred to outside cabinet measures (16 litres) and once you account for 19 mm of boards thickness, you end up having 10 litres. This is what you got from Swans' representative. To improve it, need a larger cabinet with lower tuning.

Attachments

• FR.gif
    FR.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 561
  • IMP.gif
    IMP.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 546
  • F3-F6-F10.png
    F3-F6-F10.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 551
Ask not for professional advice for I'll have to charge you professionally. Joke!
Your volume calculations are referred to outside cabinet measures (16 litres) and once you account for 19 mm of boards thickness, you end up having 10 litres. This is what you got from Swans' representative. To improve it, need a larger cabinet with lower tuning.
Here is the plan of the project, the measures are internal and the boxes are almost done.

Attachments

• F6 Project.png
    F6 Project.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
I'll prepare a solution a little later afternoon.

edit: a quick sim is all we need and I propose to experiment with vent length. Longer ones will sound better in corners, shorter in open space away from walls. Gotta go now. Prepare one camel as a payment.

Attachments

• F3-F6-F10.png
    F3-F6-F10.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMP.gif
    IMP.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 104
  • FR.gif
    FR.gif
    21 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
There will always be a (much larger) market for professional audio for sound reinforcement. That's where the research starts and eventually finds us at home.

Most of what gets sold in North America as "high fidelity" is plagued by distortion, inefficient motor design and bloated costs.

Contrast this to the competitive PA market.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There are a plenty of good performances with F6 driver.
Like this one: 6moons audioreviews: Cygnus Audio Quasar/DiSub X15 but the box is sealed.
And this one: Hypex Amps, Abrahamsen Audio, IPL Acoustic Speakers
But i am making this one: Exproject - ????????? - ??????? ?? ??? - Swans - M1.2 EX KIT with another tweeters and two of thеse Exproject - A???????? - ????????? - Monacor - BR-45TR to get this result
Vb = 15.5 liters
Fb = 55.09 Hz
QL = 7
F3 = 59.32 Hz
Fill = normal
What do you think about it, is it good enough or it can be done better.

Hi Rakeem,

Difficult to say. Different TS-parameters have been published for the HiVi F6, and ports in the corner of a cabinet do result in a lower tuning frequency anyway. I would expect around 46 Hz for two BR-45TR ports in your cabinet. That's reasonable IMO. For comparison, HiVi recommends a tuning frequency of 45 Hz in a volume of 15 liters.

I assume the crossover will be more of a problem than the reflex tuning. What crossover and which tweeter do you plan to use?

Hi Rakeem,

Difficult to say. Different TS-parameters have been published for the HiVi F6, and ports in the corner of a cabinet do result in a lower tuning frequency anyway. I would expect around 46 Hz for two BR-45TR ports in your cabinet. That's reasonable IMO. For comparison, HiVi recommends a tuning frequency of 45 Hz in a volume of 15 liters.

I assume the crossover will be more of a problem than the reflex tuning. What crossover and which tweeter do you plan to use?

Hi Dissi,
the accurate parameters can be found here Exproject - ?????????? - ?????? ?? 6" ?? 12" - HIVI - F6, 45hz would be fine, but i don't understand why they suggest me so high setings with these ports, especialy F3!?
I don't worry about the crossover, they will make for me a good one. The tweeter is Hivi T28.

Hi Rakeem,

Parameters and curves published by HiVi should be taken with wariness since independent measurements often show different results. For the F6 woofer that's higher Fs (~54 Hz), higher Qts (~0.5) and lower mass (~14 g). Therefore there's an uncertainty which TS-parameters are correct and this also affects volume and tuning of a vented box.

The promise of F3 of 42 Hz in a 15 liter box is pure marketing and far from reality. The figures from your Swans representative may look less impressive, but they are much more realistic.

There's not much you can do. If space allows increase the volume to 20 liters (the volume of the M1.2EX), and try different tuning frequencies.

Attached is a comparison of the bass performance of different alignments. The simulation is based on modified TS-parameters and includes a series resistor of 0.5 ohm (woofer coil) and the influence of baffle step as well. This is how things looks from my point of view. :)

Attachments

• EnclosureRecommendationsHiViF6.jpg
    EnclosureRecommendationsHiViF6.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 368
I think you shouldn't overrate these F3 figures. Between 50 and 60 Hz is absolutely OK for a speaker of that size, especially when it is placed close to a wall or even in a corner. A 3-way is much more complicated and expensive. Running a 5" driver down to 40 Hz is not reasonable in my opinion because it isn't really capable to go loud.

My advise would be to stay with your original project. :2c: :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.