Looking for advice on adding a super tweeter to high efficiency mono speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems reasonable, JBL obviously couldn't build anything that infringed on Altec's patent, but from just looking at the 2360's published data it may be a better sounding horn in a typical HIFI app, though a mouth foam surround smooths the mantaray right out.

GM

Yeah , from reading around on the various forums, people do seem to prefer the JBL 2360 over the Mantaray mr94.

Shipping isn't really an option though with these large horns as the shipping ends up costing more than the horn. I've got my eye on eBay though if any come up nearby. Also still considering building a horn. It would be nice to have something that fit tight in the corner so the wall would be an extension of the sides of the horn. I have the space for the 30" wide horn, but the 30" depth plus the driver itself pushes the horn out away from the wall.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Although I have reservations about fitting a tweeter tight into the corner, the problem you have is the loading properties of the horn which result in the diffraction slot and the spacing away from the side walls that this causes. A plain conical will fail to load adequately somewhere around 1k. Another option which is probably more correct for the situation is to turn a radial so that the conical parts quarter it based on the side walls. Something has to give. If anything though, a compression tweeter can get past this in a domestic situation.

Thanks Allen, let me see if I got this right.... you don't love having the horn tight into the corner, but it would be even worse if it was out a couple inches since that would create a diffraction slot.

I lost you on quartering the corner with a radial horn.

By Radial horn you mean something like the JBL 2350? Not sure about the quartering....
$_58.JPG

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The horns in this (your last) picture are also radial. Imagine four of them side by side would form a circle as seen from above (like four adjacent corners). The picture you posted before this one has its straight walls on top and bottom (which can be a good thing which is why I like a conical all round). The diffraction slot is the second opening after the long throat.

Radial is the corner horn ideal, but considering how difficult it is to get into and out of a corner (to cut a long story short) I'm wary of 3kHz after compromises have been made, as nearby mismatched walls can potentially double your imperfections. There is a correct way to do it but the potential compromises to consider are numerous. Midrange is a different story.

One thing that I would like to note is, mono speaker should be considered differently from stereo speakers. Accuracy may not be the first priority. Larger but inaccurate horn would sound much more spacious and enjoyable than the small modern accurate horn in mono. People who have had a chance to hear huge Altec or Western theatre mono speakers know that those antique monsters sound very spacious, in a sense more spacious than stereo speakers, due to the size of the horn.

I would suggest to try a horn from mono playback era!

I've never heard a multi cell horn, I do like the look of them though. Looks like they are pretty pricey on eBay. I could maybe build a 2x4 multi cell version though.... don't think I have time to build a 32 cell version;)

Yep. It's sad to see the price of many vintage stuff that is way too expensive these days. Many people actually buy them as speculation, considering them to be stocks that also can play music! Look at the crazy vintage guitar price, sigh... As far as I can tell, the price of those things just keep going up, though. :headbash:

GM, I had meant an 8 cell horn 4 cells wide by 2 cells tall. Would a 15 cell version be better?

I've been looking over the " The construction of a multicell horn" thread, and building one doesn't look to bad.

I feel that one of the reason why those very old multiple cell horns sound big and vibrant is the metal horn is ringing. The horn made with wood would not sound as big nor spacious as the metal ones, I guess...

How about DIY horn with the metal HVAC duct material? They should ring as hell. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.