Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3D printing 1/2 of a waveguide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2017, 10:29 PM   #101
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
Hi Earl,

I spent over a day finally getting the program to agree that a point of a spline curve that was exactly at the same coordinates as a point on a circle actually contacted each other! Also, as the model gets more complicated, some weird things can happen and it's easy to get into a pattern of what is basically trial-and-error to try to make the weirdness go away. The last big problem I had finally got 'fixed' by my exporting the file, closing the program, rebooting the computer, restarting the program and re-importing the program --- big ugly blob on the model disappeared finally
Exactly - I just lost patience and gave up. You are a better man than I!

on the other hand, I recently did a college tour with my son (UM in the fall) and saw a guy using a solids program in the lab with dozens of parts that he could manipulate at will in seconds. Blow apart a complex component, look at any piece or the whole model - in motion! Blew me away (but then this was a college kid who was probably born with a keyboard in his hand.) I told my son that he needed to learn to do that! Times have changed.
Old 21st May 2017, 12:16 AM   #102
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure what UM uses, but Solidworks is really nice for just what you're talking about Earl. I haven't played much with other 3d modelers (other than wanting to throw my computer across the room when trying sketchup), though, nor am I a CAD whiz. I leave that to my younger brother.

Bill, have you packaged up the waveguides for us to see them in their boxes?
Old 21st May 2017, 01:50 AM   #103
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Nope, I'm still changing the cutlist from the cabinet for the previous (but never built) version of SmallSyns so the new horn will fit in it. Then I have to go get more plywood, don't have quite enough to do it.

Then find the time to get back to sawdust (work on the house is taking priority at the moment, have some shelves to put up).
Attached Images
File Type: png box appearance.png (10.4 KB, 2860 views)
Old 21st May 2017, 08:56 AM   #104
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Onshape is good as well, but has a limitation that anything you model in the free version is automatically open source, and free for anyone to download. Not a major issue for me, but it might be for some people.

Doing the last wiring and firmware config for my printer today, hope to have something to show for it by the time I go to bed!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st May 2017, 01:59 PM   #105
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Bwaslo,
I may have missed this if described earlier, what is the process that you are using in your programs to make the hornpath expansion follow a prescribed function? I make a curve in scientific plotting program and then take a JPG image of that and overlay into the CAD program drawing plane. Then I use as minimally feasible spline segments as possible to fit that complex curve. If I do it right, a single spline can do it by pulling and tugging on the end node spline adjust arrows. For a round horn, this can be rotated as surface of revolution. For a non circularly symmetric horn, I make cross sectional images along points on axis using a plotting program, if needed, or if it is simple like a circle or ellipse or rectangle with radiused corners, the CAD program can do that. I make as few cross sections cuts along the axis as minimally needed to get the overall shape, usually at least 3: throat, mid point, and mouth. Then here is where a powerful package like SolidWorks comes through (and maybe some free packages have this) - use the sheet metal "lofting" tool to connect a smooth surface between the "rings" defined by the cross sectional areas you defined. The lofting tool is nice in that it makes it very smooth and depending on how many meridians you define, can handle interesting things like squeezed in bumps and ridges like a JBL M2 horn.
Old 21st May 2017, 03:44 PM   #106
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bill - very nice to see you do something substantial and useful with 3D printing. So much of what I see across the web is in the toy category. Bravo for learning the 3D software, too. I've learned to do some things in Sketchup, the learning curve for this stuff is steep. Nothing as big or ambitious as this project. I farm out my 3D printing and have gotten varying results. Yours looks quite good!

Don't want to go OT, but your comments on the amplifiers interested me. I was very impressed with the Icepower amps I've had, both subjectively and by measurement. Friends who've listened were not impressed, but I found them very neutral. Halfer is an old favorite, of course.
Old 21st May 2017, 08:21 PM   #107
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

xrk --

Fusion 360 does that, too. In fact, what I did was make a spreadsheet from Earl's oblate spheroid formula + a large end radius, and ran one for the horizontal coverage angle and one for the vertical coverage area. I would have made them the same angle (square horn), but it would have been more complicated to make the horn that big with my printer, would've had to be 4 pieces instead of 2. Then, I trimmed down the number of points and saved the point values for both curves to csv files, which Fusion 360 can import into spline curves (which is a useful and neat trick!). Then stuck those curves on the a circle (which was a big problem to do) for the throat and on a rounded rectangle for the mouth. Fusion 360 can loft "along rails", a "rail" being any line curve or spline. After I finally was able to persuade the %!@#*^%* program that points that are at the same coordinates actually are touching each other, I lofted from the circle to the rounded rectangle along those rails, and there's the shape. Then I had to figure out how to thicken that zero thickness shell (not hard to do, but not easy to see in the documentation).

Fusion 360 is amazingly powerful but can also be incredibly frustrating to work with, too. It isn't as powerful as Rhino (which I can't afford anyway) but is maybe more appropriate for technical (rather than just artistic) work.

And, Pano, I've hardly "learned" the software, you wouldn't believe how many hours I plugged along trying to get it to work. The impressive stuff was actually pretty easy, but some simple-seeming stuff left me stuck for days. I hope that the next thing I do like this will be quicker for me to do, but I don't know that it will be.

Last edited by bwaslo; 21st May 2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 21st May 2017, 08:31 PM   #108
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Solidworks can create the line (to drive the loft/etc) directly from an equation, FYI. Not sure if Fusion 360 can, but it's worth looking around. Saves a lot of steps and allows you to model a lot of different geometries quickly by having the rest of the design driven off these primary equation-derived sketches.
Old 21st May 2017, 09:01 PM   #109
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Bill, couldn't you have just made two sketches, one for side, one for top with your curves, extruded, then booleaned the two to get your horn shape?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st May 2017, 09:09 PM   #110
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
booleaned
Past tense of verb that I thought was just a noun.
We learn so much here.

3D printing 1/2 of a waveguideHide this!Advertise here!