Super budget 3 way around the awesome TC9FD18-08 3-1/2"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The T/S calculated sensitivity isn't always an accurate predictor of mid-range sensitivity.

My measurements place the TC9 at a conservative 91dB @ 30cm 2.83V. That's about 86dB @ 1meter 2.83V
Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Factoring in a little baffle step you can probably get away with an 85-87dB woofer(s) without too much drama. 85dB woofers would be a safer bet if running 0.5way as it gives you a couple dB headroom to shape the response of the mid if needed.

The TC9 begs to be paired with a cheaper woofer or pair of woofers in a 3-way due to being able to cross at 350-400Hz. The SDS and SLS woofers seem like a good match for value. Dayton DA175 would also go well.

Last edited:
@Lojzek. I used exactly the opposite. BW4 for the bass/mid and BW3 for mid/high. I don't know why thoug. just looked prettier on my graph i guess. I should read up on the differences between crossovers.

View attachment 613841
I am not Lojzek, but I propose to use a 1st-order crossover at least for the bass-to-mid X. This begs for a symmetrical WM(TM)W arrangement. This way you can use smaller woofers and build wide 30° flanks alleviating baffle-with-air ringing and cancellations. X point of first-order cross-overs is rather high, usually twice as high as of higher-order ones, so you would need woofers, which play midrange well.

Isn't the TC9FD a perfect match with the other two drivers already?

Even though everybody is well meaning and wants to help, whenever there is many different replies, the thread S/N ratio somehow gets worse, despite the best intensions. A simulation as accurate as feasible will certainly point you in the right direction, just need to do it correctly. I think you have a fair chance of being succesful whatever combination and number of units you end up with.

Even though everybody is well meaning and wants to help, whenever there is many different replies, the thread S/N ratio somehow gets worse, despite the best intensions. A simulation as accurate as feasible will certainly point you in the right direction, just need to do it correctly. I think you have a fair chance of being succesful whatever combination and number of units you end up with.

I have been a lurker around here long enough to realize that you have to wade through sometimes diametrically opposing opinions. But usually there is a tendency in the aggregate that will point in a worthwhile direction. Despite the S/N ratio I have learned so much here already thanks to all the people willing to share their knowledge. I hope some day I know enough to contribute to other people's projects.

Hey, did you build this? How did it turn out?

I've got the TC9FD and was considering putting the SDS-160 with it in a sealed box, crossing to a sub. I've considered throwing a tweeter into the mix, but I'm basically pleased with the TC9 going all the way up. I've got a computer to do crossover / EQ duties for me.

Mostly looking for info about the SDS-160, it looks good for cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.