NS1000 clone and or similar performing mid...

So I am going to go with this shape, not very interesting, but a bit more compact from the front, I have quite a lot of large 3 way speakers, so this will be usefully smaller looking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ns1000 clone.PNG
    ns1000 clone.PNG
    411.2 KB · Views: 504
Using a combination of:
Xsim
LTspice
Winisd
Holm impulse
ARTA

and some recent personal epiphanies, and after several put it to one side in frustration pauses, I am pushing forwards on this again.

It is now renamed the BS1000, because it has departed too far from the Yamaha, it is own thing now.

I really didn't like the Monacor DT-350NF metal dome tweeter, so I have switched it out with a Dayton Audio AMT2-4, in the hope it will sound less like an aluminium dome (it doesn't). Driver complement is now:

Dayton Audio AMT2-4
Dayton Audio RS52AN-8
Volt B250

I have had a fair few plays with the Xsim now, and achieved reasonable measured results, but not that happy with the sound on anything I have cooked up with it as yet. Resent epiphany happened the last time I played using DSP with these speakers, was to stop using 1m measurements and use near field (like 2cm). This technique revealed various lumpy anomalies, which were quite unpleasantly audible. Using the eq capabilities of the DCX2496 to get well behaved nearfield response was definitely progress.

This time around I am revisiting my previous Xsim passive crossover attempt. The near field measurements showed various problems which correlated to unhappiness in the sound. Simulating the Xsim developed crossover in LTspice, showed some of the filters were a bit resonant, where the unhappiness presented. Bouncing back and forth between Xsim and LTspice, some mods to the crossover evolved, which have been very beneficial to the sound.

The other problem is the natural frequency response of the Volt B250 seems to like rolling off a bit more enthusiastically that I would like. I am not the only person to realise this, it seems, Volt recommends bass reflex loading. I am seeing some correlation between my near field measurements and WinISD thiel small simulation results. So as this this now a BS1000, I don't feel quite so conflicted about having a port. Actually a slot type port shelf occupying the bottom of the box seems like a nice solution, and doesn't irreversibly hack up the box. I was at one point wondering if putting a B139 in the back of the box and using it as an ABR. Put that thought to one side now.