Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

NS1000 clone and or similar performing mid...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2017, 02:38 PM   #41
hbc is offline hbc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

These drivers probably don't exist, but the peerless india looks "interesting"

http://www.peerlessaudio.com/uploadf...20midrange.pdf

Ultimate Gothia 3 - 3 inch midrange speaker

"Unfortunately, this will only lead to frustration." well yes and no, it is easy enough to do and sound will come out, and maybe even an attempt at identifying "dynamics" could be possible, and in my fantasy reality I was hoping to find a driver that was "similar"...

my fantasy reality is feeling a little tattered at the moment however. I think I am now open to suggestions in the 3-4 inch cone type driver too. the Peerless NE123W-08 is looking the most promising so far
Old 8th November 2017, 05:44 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default 10 inch woofer selection help please

Proceeding at a traditional snails pace I have selected for my own idiosyncratic reasons, a tweeter and a mid for the project.

These are:
Monacor DT-350NF
Dayton Audio RS52AN-8

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

The considerations included no ferro fluid in the tweet, built in metal grills, metal dome with fabric surround. All properties shared with the NS1000 drivers (unless i am mistaken).

Seeing as I am happy for this speaker to be a bit smaller than the NS1000, I am looking at 10 inch bass drivers. I feel a bit stuck however, there are many (car) subs, but I feel like I need a more old school style driver with a floppy suspension, and reasonable efficiency.

Using the methodology above I found and purchased a Soundlab L035 10 Inch Bass Chassis Speaker 8 Ohm 100W. It has a lowish resonant frequency of 35 Hz and a reasonably chunky magnet, paper cone etc. It feels like it could be a nice driver but is not quite mechanically "loose" enough, It feels a bit constricted, and does not seem to have sufficient extension, please excuse my subjective evaluation. Will get my microphone rig running soon...

For this project I would like to purchase reasonable cost new drivers, rather than recycle old quasi unobtainium. I do have some old drivers lying around I could evaluate however:

Wharfdale Glendale 3 cast frame woofers
goodmans old mezzo
Beovox 5700
Volt B220 old one
random pro drivers

I think part of my problem is that a lot of drivers are designed wit bass reflex in mind and I really don't want to go down that path.

So If anyone knows of a reasonably priced (50 in the uk) but could stretch for the perfect driver, of a 10 or maybe 12 inch driver that would work well in a sealed box a little smaller than the ns1000, I would like to know...

I am not after ultimate extension, even the ns1000s are happier with a sub.

Last edited by hbc; 8th November 2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 8th November 2017, 06:11 AM   #43
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Peerless 830668 or 830669

Shame Falcon Acoustics don't sell the Audax PR240MO anymore, It's nice and efficient and models with a similar f3 to the Yamaha IIRC.
Old 8th November 2017, 07:23 AM   #44
Shaun is online now Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

For 10" driver options you should include:

ScanSpeak 25W/8565
Aurum Cantus AC250 (some variants)
SEAS Prestige A26RE4 (H1411)

Stumbled across these when I was looking for a replacement driver for the bashed-up ones in my resto-mod B&W DM6 project (its driver is closer to 11", FWIW).
Old 10th November 2017, 05:26 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

what a lot of nice looking drivers. Thanks. I feel encouraged that such things are still available. I have a 10" peerless now, that turned up yesterday to play with, it looks abit more chunky in real life than in the picture...
Old 10th November 2017, 05:17 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Wow, Peerless 830668, just dropped it into my test box..... Wow bass. Sounding good straight away actively crossed over to my JVC mini driver. Making satisfying noises I can sit and listen to at once. Suddenly feel even more enthusiastic about this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171110_180914.jpg (288.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 10th November 2017, 08:25 PM   #47
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Not sure If you know but the application notes for the 830668 recommend 42ltr with 65% stuffing.

If you do experiment with box sizes I'd be curious to hear your opinion because It models well In anything from about 40ltr to 100ltr sealed.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:34 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

That old Goodmans box is 53 liters, with a lump of foam in it. it could be a little tighter, but i like well damped personally. 40 liters sounds just like the kind of size I am aiming for... feels fairly propulsive and punchy so far. Need to dig out some classical to try it on now.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:47 AM   #49
Shaun is online now Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

IMO 40 litres is the absolute minimum you should consider. I recommend having a look at modelling a few drivers to see how they do vs volume-compromised enclosures (I would consider 40l a compromise). You can then make a decision that won't limit your choices should you later decide to try out a different driver.
Old 20th November 2017, 03:25 AM   #50
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbc View Post
Proceeding at a traditional snails pace I have selected for my own idiosyncratic reasons, a tweeter and a mid for the project.

These are:
Monacor DT-350NF
Dayton Audio RS52AN-8

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

The considerations included no ferro fluid in the tweet, built in metal grills, metal dome with fabric surround. All properties shared with the NS1000 drivers (unless i am mistaken).

Seeing as I am happy for this speaker to be a bit smaller than the NS1000, I am looking at 10 inch bass drivers. I feel a bit stuck however, there are many (car) subs, but I feel like I need a more old school style driver with a floppy suspension, and reasonable efficiency.

Using the methodology above I found and purchased a Soundlab L035 10 Inch Bass Chassis Speaker 8 Ohm 100W. It has a lowish resonant frequency of 35 Hz and a reasonably chunky magnet, paper cone etc. It feels like it could be a nice driver but is not quite mechanically "loose" enough, It feels a bit constricted, and does not seem to have sufficient extension, please excuse my subjective evaluation. Will get my microphone rig running soon...

For this project I would like to purchase reasonable cost new drivers, rather than recycle old quasi unobtainium. I do have some old drivers lying around I could evaluate however:

Wharfdale Glendale 3 cast frame woofers
goodmans old mezzo
Beovox 5700
Volt B220 old one
random pro drivers

I think part of my problem is that a lot of drivers are designed wit bass reflex in mind and I really don't want to go down that path.

So If anyone knows of a reasonably priced (50 in the uk) but could stretch for the perfect driver, of a 10 or maybe 12 inch driver that would work well in a sealed box a little smaller than the ns1000, I would like to know...

I am not after ultimate extension, even the ns1000s are happier with a sub.
I've used the RS52AN with Peerless ring radiators, and, of all things, some GRS polycone 10" woofers, with pretty great results in sealed 2ft3 boxes.
They are high qts, well suited to sealed enclosures, go as high as 3000 hertz, adequately,and do very well from 35 hz - 800 hertz. You'd need L pads on tweeters and mids though.
I got mine on sale for $10 each, plus shipping 5 years ago, and they still work well to whom I sold tge speakers to.

NS1000 clone and or similar performing mid...Hide this!Advertise here!