Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

NS1000 clone and or similar performing mid...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2017, 08:40 PM   #11
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Oooh, actually... how about the Peerless mid-woofers? Make excellent mid ranges. Something in this range:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...y-cone-woofer/

The motors are really exceptional bargains, any version of this would do really well as a mid that could keep up with a 10-12" woofer.

They used to make a woven fiberglass line, same motor.

I think this mid/woofer + XT25 + good woofer will easily exceed the original NS1000. Maybe a little tight in dispersion though.

Last edited by eriksquires; 20th April 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:18 AM   #12
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

The Dayton RS-52 is a very nice dome midrange, but you have to protect it: it sounds clean within its limits, but terrible when those limits are exceeded. IMO, the Yamaha midrange is what makes the NS1000 sing. I don't believe that the Dayton can compete, especially when it comes to dynamics. Many have suggested that the woofer is nothing special. I'm not sure if that is true, though. In the NS1000 implementation it is also curtailed, and it does not do enough to draw attention to itself. Its Thiele/Small parameters suggest that it is suited to bass reflex loading (there is an aftermarket modification that uses the hole for the binding post cup as part of the port to convert it to BR).

As for the tweeter: surprisingly, I found it to be ordinary in performance. Most budget tweeters will actually work in its place, due to the high crossover frequency. And they would give you that extra high frequency extension. Strangely, though, I had no clue that it has an early roll-off until I measured it.

If I were to describe the NS1000s, the first words that would come to mind would be detail/resolution and dynamics. Today, if I wanted to achieve those characteristics, I'd look to pro style drivers.
Old 21st April 2017, 02:23 AM   #13
FE3T is offline FE3T  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have not heard the Yamahas, but listens dayli to a pair of JBL XPL200 and are very impressed With the 3" titanium dome they have. I even use 3 XPL 140 as center and rear channels when i watches Movies. they have also the JBL 095Ti dome.
Old 21st April 2017, 04:30 AM   #14
madisonears is offline madisonears  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Oooh, actually... how about the Peerless mid-woofers? Make excellent mid ranges. Something in this range:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...y-cone-woofer/

The motors are really exceptional bargains, any version of this would do really well as a mid that could keep up with a 10-12" woofer.

They used to make a woven fiberglass line, same motor.

I think this mid/woofer + XT25 + good woofer will easily exceed the original NS1000. Maybe a little tight in dispersion though.
From personal experience, I can testify that driver is not very good, with poor definition of midrange and "submerged" vocals. I tried many different enclosure and crossover configurations over a period of YEARS and could never get the vocals to come out of the enclosure. It's just a bad driver, and not a good substitute for the NS1000M.

The Peerless NE123W-08, on the other hand, is an excellent driver, with amazing detail retrieval and beautiful vocal projection. I think it might be one of the best midranges available. I bet it would fill the midrange gap very nicely in NS1000M's, which I owned just after they were introduced in mid-70's.

Peace,
Tom E

Last edited by madisonears; 21st April 2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:53 AM   #15
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I've not tried the 4". The 5-ish is very good. But I am listening to the woven fiberglass version.
Old 21st April 2017, 06:39 AM   #16
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've not tried the 4". The 5-ish is very good. But I am listening to the woven fiberglass version.
Which model is that (fiberglas)?
Old 21st April 2017, 07:04 AM   #17
hbc is offline hbc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does any one have an opinion on the suitability of SCANSPEAK D7608/920010?
Old 21st April 2017, 07:22 AM   #18
burgunder is offline burgunder  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What about these projects from Troels? AudioTechnology-3WC and PRELUDE
Old 21st April 2017, 07:43 AM   #19
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

hbc, help me to understand why the original units, which are perfectly good and in working condition, need to be substituted.
Old 21st April 2017, 08:03 AM   #20
madisonears is offline madisonears  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The driver I recommended is a better design in every respect. Among equivalent designs, cone material is a crucial factor. I would never consider using another poly cone mid. Fiberglass or kevlar might be okay, paper/wood probably the best. Metal would require complex crossover to trap ringing, but otherwise could be good.

Midrange is the most important driver, and it is the one that can least be judged by freq response curves. It just doesn't provide enough information about the actual sound of the driver. Smooth curve does not always equal beautiful sound.

Peace,
Tom E

NS1000 clone and or similar performing mid...Hide this!Advertise here!