Econowave Cerwin Vega DX9?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ran these speakers for years on 90's yamaha receivers.
Never a problem.
These are 100db spl also.

I had buddies with light 100w by 5 receivers that would shut down after 10 minutes on a movie driving klipsch (again high spl 1w/1m).

Many receivers have a small xformer, they can't deliver 100w by 5 channels all driven at the same time.
Most receivers would be lucky for 30w x 5 at the same time (into a resistor).

I quick tell is a 80's receiver would weigh 20-30lbs for 100 watts a channel.
A true transformer for 100w into 8 amp, should do 200w into 4ohms, oh and the speaker is a 45 degree phase angle because a woofers voice coil is more of an inductor than a resistor (that would pull double the current of a resistor).
So a 100w stereo amp should (lol should) have an 800va tranformer.

Yes, it will run hotter, and yes, there are charts for transistors showing a 4ohm load shortens a transistor life by 1/2 or 1/4. I can't remember. Better make sure vents are not covered. My onkyo is biased high, runs warm, 15 years old, I'm supresed it still works !!!!

Getting angry at a 4ohm speaker ?

Get angry at your friend.
I learned not to loan anything unless you are prepared to give / thow it away.
A buddy melted a receiver (sansui g6000, like 500 on ebay now), he tried biamping it with another receiver but didn't lift the ground jumper at the speaker input.

Get angry at the amp.
It should have thermally tracked it.
It should shut down to prevent overheating.

After 2 years, why are you resurrecting a thread this way ?

Perhaps a totally new thread or post this in solid state forum.

I've ran my dx9's from a modest 200w amp into 8, crossed at 100hz I melted the mids, lol.
Also happily ran them with 80's 30w receiver and even a 1w console tube amp.

Maybe you need beefier receivers that can easily run 4ohm loads, or maybe you are right, a now new 500 dollar receiver would melt driving 4ohm speakers nowadays.

Last edited:
>>>>After 2 years, why are you resurrecting a thread this way ?>>>>>
my CV DX-9s need work. They need woofer drivers. They still work. The foam edges are rotted away, rattleing and sound terrrible. I goin round and round with the idea of a recone on the drivers or get an 8ohm convert kit. Dont want to take a chance of a another fried output circuit. I might run another pair of 8ohm cabs on speakers B.
oth, im being told the capacitors used in the CV DX-9 will handle 8ohm amps ok even with another set of 8ohm spekars on speakers B as long as they are equal to the power rating as the CV DX-9.
can you more experienced diy-selfers give me an idea if i should just recone the original 4ohm woofer drivers or change over to 8ohm so i can run another pair of 8ohm cabs on speakers A+ B safely and not risk overheating an output circuit.

>>>>>Get angry at your friend.
I learned not to loan anything unless you are prepared to give / thow it away.
A buddy melted a receiver (sansui g6000, like 500 on ebay now), he tried biamping it with another receiver but didn't lift the ground jumper at the speaker input.<<<<<
yeah, me too. no more.

>>>>>Maybe you need beefier receivers that can easily run 4ohm loads, or maybe you are right, a now new 500 dollar receiver would melt driving 4ohm speakers nowadays.<<<<<
be careful what ohm speakers you use. I always follow what the speaker terminals tell me to use or else a melt down.
im good with the amps i have. I have one amp that does 4 and 8 ohm loads. There's a switch on the back panel to change over to 4 or 8ohm. My other amps might run 4ohm on speakers A but might require 8ohm for A+B at the speaker terminals. I would like to run another pair of 8ohm cabs on speakers B safely, not run hot and maybe fry a circuit. Cant find a tech that does that kind of repair now.
so, whats the answer without spending a lot of money.

Last edited:
Hmm, if mids and tweet are ok, I’d send the woofs in to be reconed. Don’t throw an 8ohm kit random cone in, the speaker’s crossover is set for 4ohm loads. My buddy resurrounded his pair and didn’t quite get them lined up right, rubbing at higher excursions. Let the experts do it and get another fun filled 10 years out of them, maybe more.

yea, a receiver with a output switch, it watches the current. A 4ohm speaker pulls twice the current of an 8ohm for a given voltage, so only run 1 pair. Running 4ohm speaker on 8ohm switch could let the amp let much current loose, damaging the outputs. I wouldn’t run another pair of 4 or 8ohm speakers (sometimes I do crank it).

An option for you is to find some cheaper pa amps that don’t sound wretched (crest can work, or ab international), taking the preamp output from your receiver, using a y-connector, then hook up 2 amps each driving a pair of 4ohm speakers. Trying to replace the output transistors with metal casings (more power / rugged), they may need some rebiasing, let alone drilling for mounting. Oh, that heat sink probably couldn’t dissipate more heat, so rebuilding the receiver, not worth it.

Last edited:
i got a fix on them this morning. i took it to a speaker repair. Cam was real good and very reasonable. We tested the high and mid tweets. They were 8ohm so he threw an 15inch 8ohm Eminence foam edge in there. It worked fine and no modifications. Its a full 8ohm conversion and very reasonable to get them back up and running. I had to do the conversion so i could have the ability to run another pair of 8ohm cabs on speakers A+B. I could not run A+B with the original 4ohm woofer driver. Always follow the directions and use the ohms that amp recommends on the back at the speaker terminals. If you move away from the recommended applications you are risking a meltdown of the speaker output circuit. Ouch. That could be very expensive and maybe difficult to fix.
Cam has a shop. Lots of good stuff. He is in Norwalk, So Calif. Give him a call or email.
speakeraddict.com

Last edited:
huh.

did not know that.

I always thought stock they were 4ohm.
crossover would be for 4ohm.

But I see an 8ohm kit ?
weird.

i thought they were all 4ohm. mid and high tweet tested for 8ohm. The test was around 6.5 and was told it was 8ohm.
From what i was told x-overs are not rated in ohms. He said i can use the same x-over. I guess you will need to use drivers and tweets somewhat equal to power and frequency to what was in there. That's what i did and seems to be fine. I hooked them up and wound up the power to 1/2 on a 100watt 50x2. Seems to be ok.
>>>>>But I see an 8ohm kit ?>>>>> I asked if there were 8ohm kits for 12 and 15inch cabs because i have some more cabs that need work. I think he said no. I think he said bring it in. he wants to see the cabs.

Last edited:
?

You can drop an 8 ohm speaker where a 4ohm was.
You just shift the crossover point.
but yes, a dc check will not usually yield 8ohms for an 8ohm driver.

Some people just drop any woofer into where a blown speaker was and are happy it makes noise.

But without seeing an impedance test, there could be 4ohm woof and 8ohm mid/tweet, idk.
Seeing the last small klipsch (spec'd 8ohm) in stereophile, it is a 4ohm 6.5" woof that shoots up (hitting 8ohms near 1khz, normal inductance) to a tweet that drops down to 14ohms min at 8-10khz, then shooting up after.

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.