Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Upgrade X'over on Dynaudio Special 25
Upgrade X'over on Dynaudio Special 25
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Tecknik1 is offline Tecknik1
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrade X'over on Dynaudio Special 25

Hi All,

I would like some thoughts on upgrading my Special 25 crossover with improved caps & resistors, I been able to open up the back and look at the crossover to see the values of the caps but the resistors are underneath the PCB board which Im haven't done yet.

The S25,s are driven by the Accuphase A65 Class A amp & C3800 pre amp and at times I hear a bit of nasal congestion. Dynaudio uses Solen caps and I wanted to replace the tweeter 1uf cap with a Vcap silver OIP, the mids with the Solen Silver AG caps cause space is limited and thats all I think that will fit. The woofer has a 10uf & 25uf, was thinking of just replacing the 10uf with the Vcap silver OIP since that size would fit nicely.

The resistors I hope to replace with the Mills or Path resistors.

Advice and suggestions appreciated.
Old 15th April 2017, 05:27 AM   #2
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I hate Solen caps so much... I won't try their silver or anything else.

Here's my suggestion: Replace everything with Mundorf MKP's first, and see if you like it as is.

The key cap is going to be in series with the tweeter, I doubt it is 1uF. No reason to get fancy with a shunt cap like you suggest. You are looking for a cap in series with the tweeter (maybe 2 of them!) usually around 3.3uF to 12uF in size.

+1 for Mills resistors. You may want to try mounting them to the top side though, as they'll need air cooling.

Last edited by eriksquires; 15th April 2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 15th April 2017, 06:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Your right Eric I just removed the crossover from the board and the cap to tweeter is a 1.5 uf. The tweeter caps I can go up to 1 in D. x 2 in L. The 6.8 caps for the mid Im limited to 1.5 d x 1 3/4L due to the space restriction is why I also looking at the Vcap Silver I don't believe there Murdoffs and Im not sure the Murdoff MKP will fit.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 06:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh, make sure you are comparing the low voltage caps. 100V is enough! The 400V caps are a lot bigger.

Best,

E
Old 15th April 2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknik1 View Post
Hi All,
Advice and suggestions appreciated.
Hello, I'll give you the best advice you will get anywhere without having to pay one cent for it!
You seem to be suffering from the same illness every audiophile
gets infected with at least once in a lifetime, getting bored.

Leave the speaker as it is for there is nothing wrong with the parts quality and sell it or even better put it aside and get your self a DIY speaker kit where you can knock yourself out with all the work needed to finish one. There is plenty of cheap and expensive ones on the market.

I have modified a few commercial products and these mods were actually completely new designs, not some meaningless exchange one brand of caps for another.

Once arrived an old Wharfedale loudspeaker, an 8" woofer and a 1" tweeter and there was absolutely nothing I could do about to improve its sound, so I declined to do anything about it and returned it to the owner.

Dynaudio S25 appears to fall in the same category.
Old 15th April 2017, 09:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I hear what your saying Lojzek , leave it alone yet I noticed the guy upgrading his Focal crossover you didn't tell him to leave it alone. Is there a difference between upgrading a Focal over a Dynaudio?

I have modified a few speaker and tube amps with better caps & resistors in my time and never where they meaningless upgrades but I appreciate your advice .

I promised my wife I wouldn't buy any new boxes and modifying falls into a different category
Old 15th April 2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I have suggested that guy that there was room to modify lower Focal ranges of speakers (was it Electra?) with different XO values, not parts make and model, to meet the Utopia kind of sound quality for the drive units were already good quality with the potential, and I don't think this is the case with Dynaudio.

Anyway silver is cheap at about 0.6 US$/1g. How much of it can it be in Solen Silver caps to justifiy the price?
Old 15th April 2017, 04:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Silver is cheap. Silver foil is outrageous.

The price of gold and silver foil far outstrips it's raw weight. I can only imagine when slit and wound too.

Best,

E
Old 29th May 2017, 12:08 PM   #9
Johnny2Bad is offline Johnny2Bad  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
I have suggested that guy that there was room to modify lower Focal ranges of speakers (was it Electra?) with different XO values, not parts make and model, to meet the Utopia kind of sound quality for the drive units were already good quality with the potential, and I don't think this is the case with Dynaudio.

Anyway silver is cheap at about 0.6 US$/1g. How much of it can it be in Solen Silver caps to justify the price?
It's unlikely the cost is strictly related to the materials cost alone. There would be one of supply ... tin foil might be easier to source versus silver foil. Tin may not work harden to the same degree as silver foil, requiring an additional annealing step. It may wear differently in production, causing tooling to have a different replacement / remachineing step. Cleanliness issues may differ. Changes in manufacturing to produce the differing units may add a time loss component. And then there is the standard issue with any mass-produced item in any category ... the Return On Investment (ROI) based on costs to develop x expected sales numbers.

I am not suggesting every and all of those issues are relevant to the two types of capacitor, but am suggesting there are other issues besides the raw cost of metal that factor into the factory gate prices.

Prices (for anything) are what they are. Either pay them or choose to use lower cost alternatives, or abandon the purchase entirely and save for later purchase or do without. Some people, maybe you, maybe just people you know, buy brewed coffees at massive multiples of the cost of the cup and the beans, and think nothing of it, but rail at the cost of an electronic part. Makes no sense to me.

This is everyday economics that everyone deals with from the supermarket to buying laundry machines to hobbies. I see no value in complaining about prices regardless of the object in question save for the essentials to living wherever you happen to reside (and capacitors generally don't qualify unless maybe they run your stove's electronics), or whether the average person can even afford non-essentials. I prefer more choice to less.

Someone buys everything for sale, or the makers fail, and I'm fine with either result.

I beg your apology for the rant, and apologies for the off-topic post. It's not directed at you personally, it's just one of those things that come up repeatedly and quite frankly, baffles me. I do understand the motivation to complain, but it's a exercise in futility and best suppressed. Long ago I learned not to sweat things I have no control over. The prices of whatever qualify, my choice to buy or ignore them is under my control, and that's good enough.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 29th May 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 29th May 2017, 01:31 PM   #10
rlr274 is offline rlr274
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaudio mods

I had a pair of these speakers and was less than happy with their sound at least in my room.I tried several brands of caps and found the Mundorf silver/gold in oil to be the best making me think about replacing my beloved Quads briefly.I moved the crossover to the outside of the box enclosed in a cheap plastic box and they were very much improved.They are your speakers so do with them as you want and pay no attention to those that tell you what you should do.

Upgrade X'over on Dynaudio Special 25Hide this!Advertise here!