For $200, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?

What are some comparables to the 2408h-1? Is there a celestion driver that compares?

I wish they were still $60 lol

Here's a quick rundown:

JBL 2408H-1 : unobtanium
JBL 2409H : unobtanium

BMS 4550:

exit = 1"
power handling = 80w
recommendex xover = 800hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 113dB
price = us speaker used to stock this for about $150, appears to be unobtanium now. SAD!

Eminence N151M

exit = 1:
power handling = 45W
voice coil diameter = 1.5"
recommended xover = 1800Hz
upper limit = 24khz
efficiency = 111dB
price = $90

B&C DE360

exit = 1"
power handling = 35W
voice coil diameter = 1.5"
recommended xover = 1800Hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 110dB
price = $85

B&C 4526HE

exit = 0.63"
power handling = 25W
voice coil diameter = 1"
recommended xover = 1500Hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 113dB
price = $91

From what I can see, all of these ring radiators are so similar, a lot is going to boil down to your choice of crossover and waveguide. The 4526HE is an interesting one because it allows for improved polar response above 10khz, as described by Sprinkle here.

Thanks for the very thorough and detailed explanation Patrick. It is much appreciated. I guess I was putting all 1" drivers on a similar plane, where the ring radiator is kind of a different animal than the conventional offerings.

I was initially looking for a low priced 1" driver for a large 3 way. The 2408 on PT would be great at that old price, but that's in the past. The Peerless was one that appealed to me as I've seen people use it on the QSC waveguide with good success.

That Eminence is actually available near me for the same price... That is rare... Knowing my luck, they'll be poor quality. I will have to do some reading.

Thanks for getting back to me, I know you're always working on something, and time away to address this old thread is much appreciated.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the 2408H-2- as it so happens, I have a number of screw on waveguides, including the JBL progressives referenced here, and 12" psuedo OSWG (a little more flare towards the mouth) and the big 15" OSWG I did. If a narrow pattern is acceptable, the selenium HM17-25 would likely be a great match- not great below 2khz but very nice CD performance above.

Hi Bandman,

Do you have any measurements available for the 2408-h2? I am looking also at the 2408-h2. Since there is no specs page from jbl, and very few indirect other than mechanics and size, it will be cool to have some hard facts. Possibly if I can get some info, open a thread about it.

Regarding prior discussions, it seems that both the DE360, N151M-8-1 and BMS4550 have similar design to the 2408-h2.

And the HM17-25 if performance is acceptable would make a great package size and weight wise

Just bought a pair of Celestion CDX1-1746 drivers off of e-bay for a little more than $80 the pair. They are going to replace a pair of Selenium D220-Ti drivers on Dayton H6512 horns. The crossover is currently 1200 hz / 24 db/oct (Marchand crossover). Will report back after I have listened a while.

Swapped the drivers and listened. I expected the difference to be subtle and require some careful listening. But the Celestions sounded better from the first cut. Less "hard" and more natural. The Seleniums are going on to a pair of Edgarhorn 650hz tractrix "salad bowl" horns. I also have a pair of Altec 902 CDs that I have mounted to a pair of Dayton B-52 waveguides. Will be comparing them to the Celestion/H6512 combination.

Swapped the drivers and listened. I expected the difference to be subtle and require some careful listening. But the Celestions sounded better from the first cut. Less "hard" and more natural. The Seleniums are going on to a pair of Edgarhorn 650hz tractrix "salad bowl" horns. I also have a pair of Altec 902 CDs that I have mounted to a pair of Dayton B-52 waveguides. Will be comparing them to the Celestion/H6512 combination.

The selenium QC isn't/wasn't great. If you take them apart, you can damp the diaphragm (I used some "modge podge" glue with talc powder added) with a thin damping layer and get a MUCH smoother top end performance. Just go REALLY easy on the amount used, a thin coat does a lot for a thin diaphragm.

I used an impedance sweep to ensure I'd matched the added mass and that the diaphragms were centered and closed them back up (in my case it was the D2500Ti, with its nicer neo motor).

Worth giving it a try.

Hi Bandman,

Do you have any measurements available for the 2408-h2? I am looking also at the 2408-h2. Since there is no specs page from jbl, and very few indirect other than mechanics and size, it will be cool to have some hard facts. Possibly if I can get some info, open a thread about it.

And the HM17-25 if performance is acceptable would make a great package size and weight wise

I haven't done measures sorry. The 17-25 is 60x40 and doesn't load low but it's a good 60x40

I still think the combo of JBL 2408H-1 plus a PT waveguide or one of it's clones is pretty darn special. This performance is very good; note how the shape of the response doesn't change as you move around, it just gets quieter as you get off-axis. Very nice if you're setting up a system like Geddes recommends, with the loudspeakers cross-fired.

I guess if these were measured, they should be pretty good , given that the HF and waveguide is almost the same ?

PRX835 | JBL Professional Loudspeakers

Though not seen any 3rd party measurement of these

I had a 2408 and 2407 (same horn, same box, same 2khz 24db slope, same woofer).

To my ears, the 2407 (I wouldn't pay over $100) was better.
Never measured them.
2408 seemed to irritate me, couldn't seem to nail down why though.

Still have a single 2407 sitting in a closet with the gorgeous round horn (the mcm 54-580 or the wave core one I think people use with dome tweeters nowadays). Still have 2 of those I think.

zaph using horn with tmm.
Zaph|Audio

Attachments

• larger pic.jpg
    larger pic.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 214
  • mcm plus silver flute 8.JPG
    mcm plus silver flute 8.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Likewise but with the 2408-h2 (about $65) , wish someone will test it. The h1 is unobtanium now. No idea id the h2 is an improvement or not over the h1. Have not been able to find any test other that the oficial frequency response of the prx800 series (they use the h2 and a waveguide that I belive is similar to the pyle, a "recreation" of a the jbl PT-F95HF)

@norman bates, what woofer did you use in your two way. Designing a 2 way with ring radiator soft dome (xt25) with a similar 6" waveguide wg148

Last edited:
I had a 2408 and 2407 (same horn, same box, same 2khz 24db slope, same woofer).

To my ears, the 2407 (I wouldn't pay over $100) was better.
Never measured them.
2408 seemed to irritate me, couldn't seem to nail down why though.

Still have a single 2407 sitting in a closet with the gorgeous round horn (the mcm 54-580 or the wave core one I think people use with dome tweeters nowadays). Still have 2 of those I think.

zaph using horn with tmm.
Zaph|Audio

Thanks Norman... Was looking for a decent enough 1" compression driver to use from 2000-20,000hz and this waveguide... Can get the 2407 for a little under $100 each. What for the money would come close??

The 2407s were and still are my favorite hifi-ish HF driver. I happened to discover them when i bought a set of a jbl mpro 415s which used that same driver. I remembered hearing those speakers for the first time thinking they had the best top end I've ever heard from PA cabs.

Is it true jbl made the drivers themselves and farmed out the diaphragms to bms?

I heard the main difference between the 2407 and 4540nd was the phase plug design. Is that true?