Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?
For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2019, 09:32 PM   #21
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post
What are some comparables to the 2408h-1? Is there a celestion driver that compares?

I wish they were still $60 lol
Here's a quick rundown:

JBL 2408H-1 : unobtanium
JBL 2409H : unobtanium

BMS 4550:

exit = 1"
power handling = 80w
recommendex xover = 800hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 113dB
price = us speaker used to stock this for about $150, appears to be unobtanium now. SAD!

Eminence N151M

exit = 1:
power handling = 45W
voice coil diameter = 1.5"
recommended xover = 1800Hz
upper limit = 24khz
efficiency = 111dB
price = $90

B&C DE360

exit = 1"
power handling = 35W
voice coil diameter = 1.5"
recommended xover = 1800Hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 110dB
price = $85

B&C 4526HE

exit = 0.63"
power handling = 25W
voice coil diameter = 1"
recommended xover = 1500Hz
upper limit = 20khz
efficiency = 113dB
price = $91

From what I can see, all of these ring radiators are so similar, a lot is going to boil down to your choice of crossover and waveguide. The 4526HE is an interesting one because it allows for improved polar response above 10khz, as described by Sprinkle here.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:26 PM   #22
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the very thorough and detailed explanation Patrick. It is much appreciated. I guess I was putting all 1" drivers on a similar plane, where the ring radiator is kind of a different animal than the conventional offerings.

I was initially looking for a low priced 1" driver for a large 3 way. The 2408 on PT would be great at that old price, but that's in the past. The Peerless was one that appealed to me as I've seen people use it on the QSC waveguide with good success.

That Eminence is actually available near me for the same price... That is rare... Knowing my luck, they'll be poor quality. I will have to do some reading.

Thanks for getting back to me, I know you're always working on something, and time away to address this old thread is much appreciated.
Old 13th October 2019, 02:01 PM   #23
mayhem13 is offline mayhem13  United States
diyAudio Member

B&C is also offering up a ring radiator CD who’s efficiency and Hf extension are on par the JBL for under a $100.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

.......response looks a bit choppy though
Old 5th November 2019, 01:44 PM   #24
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the 2408H-2- as it so happens, I have a number of screw on waveguides, including the JBL progressives referenced here, and 12" psuedo OSWG (a little more flare towards the mouth) and the big 15" OSWG I did. If a narrow pattern is acceptable, the selenium HM17-25 would likely be a great match- not great below 2khz but very nice CD performance above.
Old 1st December 2019, 05:03 PM   #25
Frabor is offline Frabor  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bandman,

Do you have any measurements available for the 2408-h2? I am looking also at the 2408-h2. Since there is no specs page from jbl, and very few indirect other than mechanics and size, it will be cool to have some hard facts. Possibly if I can get some info, open a thread about it.

Regarding prior discussions, it seems that both the DE360, N151M-8-1 and BMS4550 have similar design to the 2408-h2.

And the HM17-25 if performance is acceptable would make a great package size and weight wise
Old 26th March 2020, 08:30 PM   #26
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

Just bought a pair of Celestion CDX1-1746 drivers off of e-bay for a little more than $80 the pair. They are going to replace a pair of Selenium D220-Ti drivers on Dayton H6512 horns. The crossover is currently 1200 hz / 24 db/oct (Marchand crossover). Will report back after I have listened a while.
Old 1st April 2020, 09:15 PM   #27
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

Swapped the drivers and listened. I expected the difference to be subtle and require some careful listening. But the Celestions sounded better from the first cut. Less "hard" and more natural. The Seleniums are going on to a pair of Edgarhorn 650hz tractrix "salad bowl" horns. I also have a pair of Altec 902 CDs that I have mounted to a pair of Dayton B-52 waveguides. Will be comparing them to the Celestion/H6512 combination.
Old 1st April 2020, 09:20 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Swapped the drivers and listened. I expected the difference to be subtle and require some careful listening. But the Celestions sounded better from the first cut. Less "hard" and more natural. The Seleniums are going on to a pair of Edgarhorn 650hz tractrix "salad bowl" horns. I also have a pair of Altec 902 CDs that I have mounted to a pair of Dayton B-52 waveguides. Will be comparing them to the Celestion/H6512 combination.
The selenium QC isn't/wasn't great. If you take them apart, you can damp the diaphragm (I used some "modge podge" glue with talc powder added) with a thin damping layer and get a MUCH smoother top end performance. Just go REALLY easy on the amount used, a thin coat does a lot for a thin diaphragm.

I used an impedance sweep to ensure I'd matched the added mass and that the diaphragms were centered and closed them back up (in my case it was the D2500Ti, with its nicer neo motor).

Worth giving it a try.
Old 1st April 2020, 09:21 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frabor View Post
Hi Bandman,

Do you have any measurements available for the 2408-h2? I am looking also at the 2408-h2. Since there is no specs page from jbl, and very few indirect other than mechanics and size, it will be cool to have some hard facts. Possibly if I can get some info, open a thread about it.

And the HM17-25 if performance is acceptable would make a great package size and weight wise
I haven't done measures sorry. The 17-25 is 60x40 and doesn't load low but it's a good 60x40

For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?Hide this!Advertise here!