Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?
For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2019, 11:59 AM   #11
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

What are some comparables to the 2408h-1? Is there a celestion driver that compares?

I wish they were still $60 lol
Old 14th January 2019, 12:17 PM   #12
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

The Eminence ring radiator looks nice, but I haven't tried it. There's a review posted at Voice Coil Magazine.
Old 14th January 2019, 12:25 PM   #13
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Your frequency response data for the JBL CD look nice but that is just one aspect of its performance.

I would never choose a driver based on frequency response alone and I would very much like to see any comparisons include the HD and IMD profiles for driver+horn combinations. It's "fairest" to do this when they are EQd to have about the same frequency response, and tested at the same SPL, but that is probably asking too much. CD+horn can have rather inferior distortion performance compared to home audio, e.g. dome, radiators...
Old 14th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #14
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

@CharlieLaub: Yes, I agree, the response is just one of a bunch of parameters you'd have to look onto.

The Eminence N151M-8 was measured on audioXpress. It was used on the Eminence SST1 horn. The SST1 is identical to the MRH-83 except for the driver mount (screw on vs. bolt). I've used the Monacor one a few times, it opens fast and is not particular critical to different drivers. The measurement on the Eminence SST1 horn show some issues however, the angle measurements show a deep dive of ~17dB above 13kHz under angles. The 120dB harmonics distortion measurement looks very good (medium K2, very low K3, THD got a peak at 3,5kHz though but at 120dB that's still fine), the decay too, so it's likely not a resonance of the ring membrane but an interference on the driver exit horn throat. That hints the driver might be picky regarding the choice of the horn. The driver is reasonable priced, so it might be worth a try nevertheless.

At around the same price you can get the Celestion CDX1-1747, which was also reviewed by audioXpress. The burst decay of the eminence is a tad cleaner, the radiation of the Celestion much more uniform, it's a different horn though. The driver behaves uncritical regarding the choice of the horn and sounds excellent, very detailed. For HiFi it's often used at 1kHz or even 800Hz. For PA use I'd recommend a higher crossover frequency though.
Old 14th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #15
etalon90 is offline etalon90  Canada
diyAudio Member

I own the N151m and it's mounted on JMLC 2000hz from Autotech

If you want me to do measurement, just ask me what you wish to see and I'll do them.

If any interest, I also own:
Celestion- CDX1-1425 on custom 2000hz JMLC (start with a negative 6degree angle)
BMS 4526 on 2000hz JMLC (still fairly new, is there is such thing of burn-in in CD?)
Celestion CDX1-1445 on FaitalPro short 1" horn
Later
Old 15th January 2019, 04:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Your frequency response data for the JBL CD look nice but that is just one aspect of its performance.

I would never choose a driver based on frequency response alone and I would very much like to see any comparisons include the HD and IMD profiles for driver+horn combinations. It's "fairest" to do this when they are EQd to have about the same frequency response, and tested at the same SPL, but that is probably asking too much. CD+horn can have rather inferior distortion performance compared to home audio, e.g. dome, radiators...
My primary motivation was that the JBL compression driver combined with a clone of the JBL horn just worked so darn well. At the time that I posted the thread, the combo cost about $75.

It was just kinda depressing seeing people use a titanium Selenium compresssion driver on a clone of a JBL horn, when the combo of JBL + JBL just worked so much better.

I'd argue that there are very few compression drivers that can outperform this combo above 10khz, at any price. Even the JBL M2 starts to narrow at ultra high frequency. Voishvillo did really nice work here.

Click the image to open in full size.

HARMAN Innovator Spotlight: Alexander Voishvillo, JBL Loudspeakers – HARMAN Professional Solutions Insights

In the pic, the JBL 2408H-1 is there on his desk, alongside the D2-2430K. They're kissing cousins.

And to clarify:

When I saw "it performs well" I mean "it's directivity is really really good." I'm from The School of Geddes, I'm a lot more concerned about directivity than harmonic distortion. Plus, these are professional compression drivers, it's not like we're going to push them hard when we're playing them in a living room.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 15th January 2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 27th January 2019, 01:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

One of the issues with a lot of the measurements that I made, particularly before 2017, was that I would move the microphone from left to right as I measured the loudspeaker.

So the *angles* were correct, but the distance from the loudspeaker would grow.

For instance, if you measure a loudspeaker on axis, and then you measure it 45 degrees off axis by moving one meter to the LEFT, you will now be 41.4% further away than the first measurement.

This measurement was made that way. You can see it in the measurement; as the wavefronts become spherical because the waveguide can no longer control directivity, the SPL level starts to fall off with distance. (See what's going on below 2khz?)

Today I re-ran that measurement with the following improvements:

1) measurement distance is two meters instead of one

2) The distance from microphone to speaker is equidistant at every measurement point. IE, the mic is like spokes on a bicycle wheel, each measurement changes in angle but not in distance.

3) I made a half-assed attempt to EQ the speaker flat

Anyways, hope that helps. I still think the combo of JBL 2408H-1 plus a PT waveguide or one of it's clones is pretty darn special. This performance is very good; note how the shape of the response doesn't change as you move around, it just gets quieter as you get off-axis. Very nice if you're setting up a system like Geddes recommends, with the loudspeakers cross-fired. The response curve isn't *perfectly* flat, but I didn't even put this waveguide on a baffle, this is a naked waveguide measured two meters above the ground. On a baffle, it will perform even better.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 27th January 2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:55 PM   #18
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

How does the 2408 H1 and the H2 differ? I cannot seem to find anything on it. Trying to pick a HF section for a build and considered these on the Pyle/Dayton.

For 0, can anything beat Pyle PH612 + JBL 2408H-1?Hide this!Advertise here!