Small format cone driver in horn thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My latest iteration of the batcave system is a cheap 2" driver loaded into a tractrix horn

I am getting useable response from 200hz to 16khz. Below is a 15" woofer in a U frame with response down to 35- 40hz in room. Subwoofer support is in progress

The clarity is exceptional especially in the lower midrange and upper bass. The sound is very accurate and clear on axis with the point source covering most of the audible range

Next ill try some 3.5"-4" drivers in a JBL conical midrange horn pictured below

Anyone else had success with this setup?

Attachments

• 20170410_223352.jpg
    20170410_223352.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 1,449
  • 20170407_202042.jpg
    20170407_202042.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 20170407_202111.jpg
    20170407_202111.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 1,388
Last edited:
Hi Scott,

The current set up uses a 2” Hivi / swans aluminium driver. The woofer is a PRV 15W700; this driver has a low Fs for a pro woofer and highish QTS so works well in the U frame.
Amps are alternating between a JLH class A amp (10W) and a GU50 tube amp (10W) for the horn and a pro audio amp for the woofers. Crossover is a minidsp 2 x 4

I've had success loading a fountek fr88ex 3" into a 360hz tractrix.
Crossover is between 140hz and 5916hz ,.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279475-finished-horn-open-baffle-build.html

That looks amazing, what a great effort

Hollowboy,

The 1.4” CD in the azurahorn sounds a TOUCH more dynamic and open. It worked better in my old room but in the highly reflective batcave they are harder to tame. In this room the tight dispersion of the large tractrix horn wins (at the expense of he sweet spot size) as does the ability to have one driver covering such a wide range

Thanks for the correction on the JBL horn profile. I stumbled on a second hand pair on ebay but I believe they can be purchased from JBL suppliers in oz. They have a 100mm diameter throat which should fit the scan speak and seas 4" full range drivers

Last edited:
Nice build! I believe this would qualify as a horn-loaded FAST. Any chance of getting measurements and/or an audio clip sample?

Hi, i have a small dayton phone mic. I wonder if this will record a sound clip when I use the phone video camera?

I'll see if i still have the measurements. This was meant to be an experiment but i havent been able to stop listening to it!

The horn boosts the low end a lot and allows the fullrange driver to play easily down to 200hz without sounding anemic. I think in that sense it is better than a standard FAST arrangement at the expense of size.

Ive ordered the SB acoustics 2.5" and a biradial horn as well. More updates to follow.

The clarity is really amazing particulary in the midrange and upper bass. I guess this is what the unity horn folks have been talking about. The concept is similar.

Any other projects that people have to share?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The horn boosts the low end a lot and allows the fullrange driver to play easily down to 200hz without sounding anemic.

What are the dimensions of those waveguides? They look to be about 22 inches wide by 14 inches tall by 10 (? complete guess) inches deep. Did you make them yourself?

That little A2S driver (that's what it looks like anyway) only has a sensitivity of 78dB at 1W/1m and Fs of 150Hz. You should try different drivers. Horn loading the Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4 would be pretty interesting. With slightly better sensitivity and more xmax it might have even more dynamic bass. There are lots of other 2 inch drivers out there that are more sensitive as well.

What are the dimensions of those waveguides? They look to be about 22 inches wide by 14 inches tall by 10 (? complete guess) inches deep. Did you make them yourself?

That little A2S driver (that's what it looks like anyway) only has a sensitivity of 78dB at 1W/1m and Fs of 150Hz. You should try different drivers. Horn loading the Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4 would be pretty interesting. With slightly better sensitivity and more xmax it might have even more dynamic bass. There are lots of other 2 inch drivers out there that are more sensitive as well.

The horn is a tracrix expansion with dimensions 24w x 16h x 21d in inches

I wil be trying other drivers soon. The SB acoustics one should work well

I've experimented with loading several small drivers in various tractrix horns. Works very well. The problem is directivity of HF response and lack thereoff in bigger drivers. You either go for "magic" mids, or amazing highs or just build additional horns for seperate drivers. I've had best results with loading a 30 cm x 30 cm square tractrix loaded with 1" alu driver, with highpass at cca 800-1000Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.