Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small format cone driver in horn thread
Small format cone driver in horn thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2017, 01:24 PM   #11
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangus View Post
The horn boosts the low end a lot and allows the fullrange driver to play easily down to 200hz without sounding anemic.
What are the dimensions of those waveguides? They look to be about 22 inches wide by 14 inches tall by 10 (? complete guess) inches deep. Did you make them yourself?

That little A2S driver (that's what it looks like anyway) only has a sensitivity of 78dB at 1W/1m and Fs of 150Hz. You should try different drivers. Horn loading the Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4 would be pretty interesting. With slightly better sensitivity and more xmax it might have even more dynamic bass. There are lots of other 2 inch drivers out there that are more sensitive as well.
Old 17th April 2017, 04:38 AM   #12
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicano View Post
What is FAST?
F.A.S.T. = Fullrange and Subwoofer Technology

A fullrange crossed to a larger driver below.
Bushmeister's horn crosses much higher than most FAST designs tend to.
Old 17th April 2017, 04:43 AM   #13
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Aura NSW2-326-8A would be interesting to try and are pretty cheap. Higher sensitivity and much more x-max. The dropping top end might need more EQ or not work at all on the horn. Looks to be almost identical physically from the front.

296-252_AuraSound_NSW2-326-8A_Specifications.pdf
Old 17th April 2017, 10:09 PM   #14
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRX View Post
What are the dimensions of those waveguides? They look to be about 22 inches wide by 14 inches tall by 10 (? complete guess) inches deep. Did you make them yourself?

That little A2S driver (that's what it looks like anyway) only has a sensitivity of 78dB at 1W/1m and Fs of 150Hz. You should try different drivers. Horn loading the Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4 would be pretty interesting. With slightly better sensitivity and more xmax it might have even more dynamic bass. There are lots of other 2 inch drivers out there that are more sensitive as well.
The horn is a tracrix expansion with dimensions 24w x 16h x 21d in inches

I wil be trying other drivers soon. The SB acoustics one should work well
Old 17th April 2017, 10:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmeister View Post
I am sure you caught this thread. Its the same sb65 full range driver I loaded into an xt1464 horn

The XBush Mark 2. A synergy/Unity horn of spherical proportions
Yes, thats how I found out about the SB acoustics driver. Your solution is more sophisticated than mine with the multiple drivers acting as a point source in the one horn. My setup is the lazy mans "synergy"
Old 17th April 2017, 10:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
The Aura NSW2-326-8A would be interesting to try and are pretty cheap. Higher sensitivity and much more x-max. The dropping top end might need more EQ or not work at all on the horn. Looks to be almost identical physically from the front.

Attachment 611902
Yep, that driver looks good for this application. I might give it a try as well. Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 03:03 AM   #17
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangus View Post
The horn is a tractrix expansion with dimensions 24w x 16h x 21d in inches
That's a lot deeper than it looks! Did you make it yourself?

Looking forward to your comparisons with other full range drivers mounted in that horn.
Old 18th April 2017, 08:56 PM   #18
mexicano is offline mexicano  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post
F.A.S.T. = Fullrange and Subwoofer Technology

A fullrange crossed to a larger driver below.
Bushmeister's horn crosses much higher than most FAST designs tend to.
Thank you!
Old 18th April 2017, 09:13 PM   #19
Auredes is offline Auredes  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I've experimented with loading several small drivers in various tractrix horns. Works very well. The problem is directivity of HF response and lack thereoff in bigger drivers. You either go for "magic" mids, or amazing highs or just build additional horns for seperate drivers. I've had best results with loading a 30 cm x 30 cm square tractrix loaded with 1" alu driver, with highpass at cca 800-1000Hz.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:30 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRX View Post
That's a lot deeper than it looks! Did you make it yourself?

Looking forward to your comparisons with other full range drivers mounted in that horn.
I aquired the horns from a local DIYer. They are made of stacked MDF fillets and sanded smooth. I dont have the time or patience to build curved horns myself

Small format cone driver in horn threadHide this!Advertise here!