Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Omnidirectional Speakers
Omnidirectional Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Omnidirectional Speakers

I would like to hear some of your experts comments regarding this speaker. maybe someone has even tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSI6i3TXfCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi61...=RDlSI6i3TXfCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5EMrFsT7V4

Last edited by Nico Ras; 2nd April 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2nd April 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind a very diffuse sound field, they sound very nice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 2nd April 2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Omnidirectional Speakers
I've head these a couple of times and they are very nice, indeed. My only reservation with them is that they make things sound too big. Clean, beautiful, but oversized. Not sure why that is.
Old 2nd April 2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've only heard MBLs in quite large rooms and in that context, I didn't find the imaging to be diffuse exactly- that would be putting a bit too strongly. Imaging wasn't pin-sharp but localisation still seemed good. Apart from that they were one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and the ones that sounded least like a speaker. Other than those, the least 'speakerish' speakers I've ever heard were Quad ESL63s, also in a large room, and the Linkwitz Pluto in a much smaller room.
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Nico Ras is offline Nico Ras  South Africa
diyAudio Member

So obviously you guys don't think it is just another over expensive concept and it could work.

What if you were to put an inflated balloon onto a speaker and it compresses the balloon top to bottom while the balloon expands in horizontal diameter. This would act as a true point source speaker from the balloon which would not add to the mass as all those aluminium strips would. Just a thought.
Old 3rd April 2017, 05:27 AM   #6
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think the marketing needs to be separated from the concept. It has mass like everything else on the planet. Is the mass of his voice coil and aluminum balloon parts less than the mass of air in a box? Does it matter or is it marketing. I understand these speakers are $250K range. That requires a lot of marketing.

As for the concept, most of what he said about the omnidirectional concept and operation is true. I have not heard those MBLs, but I am listening to a homebrew omni and they definitely interact with the room differently than a conventional speaker. What he briefly touched on was the effect of getting continuous sound in the room even if you move around. His guests probably tried it outside the video. Its almost unsettling as there is no tone shift or drastic volume change when you move around, unlike what you get with regular speakers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post5019727

Omnidirectional SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!