Has anyone tried/tested Peerless by Tymphany FSL drivers?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here has seen some good designs or measurements/reviews of the FSL drivers? Paper cones, high sensitivity, affordable .. but how do they sound :)

Example drivers I am eyeballing, but haven't been able to find much on google / audio forums in terms of any 2-3way designs with them?

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...-5-1-4-midrange-woofer-driver-8-ohm--264-1400

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...professional-10-woofer-driver-8-ohm--264-1408

Looking to possibly build something out of these to have loads of dynamic range, but with good/great(if possible) sound and not just sheer volume.

Would probably have to use a compression horn to match the midrange, or any suggestions on a good matching dome tweeter?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Knowing Peerless and having worked with many of their drivers, I am sure the provided specifications are in line with reality.

This being said, the woofer trades performance on the low end with efficiency, so it will play loud, but will not be able to do much under 80 Hz. It will require a subwoofer.

The 5.25" potentially plays almost as low as the woofer, but is severely compromised on the high end. In view of the difference in efficiency, these two speakers can realistically only be used in an active setup. However, even than they would be a bad match. 5.25" in general is too large for a midrange. It can only work if crossed to a tweeter with a wave guide which is carefully designed to align the dispersion characteristics of the two drivers in the crossover region.

Hope this helps.

When I first got a woofer tester, I found that > half of my drivers didn't match their specs.

A pair of small Peerless midwoofers measured just right.

Hi,

Example drivers I am eyeballing, but haven't been able to find much on google / audio forums in terms of any 2-3way designs with them?

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...-5-1-4-midrange-woofer-driver-8-ohm--264-1400

This one looks good. I actually see the rising mids as a positive thing, cos I'm interested in horn loading.

I've had some Scan Speak 15M/4624G00 on order for 3 months. If the order falls through, I could try these Tymphany units instead - they are 1/3 the price, but very similar in size and specs.

I agree with vacuphile on this one. The high Fs = only really usable in a 3-way. It doesn't seem to have any outstanding qualities.

For a simple 2-way build, and also pretty cheap, the Dayton Audio pro 12" looks like it would be better.

Would probably have to use a compression horn to match the midrange, or any suggestions on a good matching dome tweeter?
Cheers!

Compression horns are fine, but if your final system sensitivity will be about 93dB, a horn-loaded dome is enough, and may be better in some ways (like weight, simpler crossover, centre-to-centre spacing).

This, or an equivalent are also very affordable:

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1028

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Chinese make some very good drivers. So many in fact that I bet you don't even know you've used them! Think before you type.

I can remember when people would pooh pooh Japanese products,you dont hear that any more because they make some of the best products in the world. Its the same with China, they can make the best if you are willing to pay for it. If westerners keep ordering cheap nasty products to sell in the west the Chinese will oblige. Peerless have always been a great driver and as far as the Chinese go I think they will only improve on it.

I insist that those simply look and measure like ordinary low cost pa drivers, with as a plus the prime of a big name of the audio industry.

Simply hope they have supervised production well enough, but this is mass production with little surprises to be expected...

Btw, re the 10' model, considering magnet size, voice coil dimension and a few other details, i wouldn't expect BL to reach 14, hence sensitivity should be 2-3dbs lower, Qes higher giving a Qts around 0.6. Rest of the TS params are no surprise.

Ugly but classic paper cone resonances as low as 300 hz...

As said, cheap pa drivers... Peerless or not Peerless, the name will make no difference...:smash:

Last edited:
They are cheap money wise and they are PA drivers, so as far as that goes you are right.

However, to conclude that they are cheap quality wise is completely unfounded. The quality of a driver and its price are virtually uncorrelated. Design trumps all. Take this driver https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1358--tymphany-tc9fd00-04-spec-sheet.pdf.

For under 10 USD, and used within its design specifications, you will not find a better sounding midrange at any price.

I know that small fullranger and also have tested plenty of these pa models in their 8,10,12 and 15 flavors. Don't think that the Peerless name won't make them any better nor worse than their Skytec, Ibiza, Berhinger, etc... equivalents. Same stuff made with same materials, machines, costs, factories, etc... Nothing new under the sun.

A TSP measurement of the Peerless FSL-1225R02-08, the differences with the factory provided TSP are very small.
Peerless FSL-1225R02-08 (12″ 350W RMS Pro Woofer) – AmpsLab

I am eyeing this exact 12" driver for a very cheap 2 way high efficiency project. Low Le, short ports in BR, class leading efficiency. Reasonable -3dB & volume.

Did anyone gather more experience with the FSL line, since 2017?

Last edited: