Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help needed - understanding crossovers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2017, 01:51 PM   #31
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

giralfino already gave you the answer, please re-read the post carefully. Also do not start multiple threads on the same topic, which is against the Forum Rules.
Old 25th March 2017, 06:48 PM   #32
bullittstang is online now bullittstang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerm6 View Post

Is it too expensive? Too heavy? Too complicated? Surely amplified sound can still be managed electronically?

Yes to all those. To get 3rd order or 4th order electrical it would be HUGE, HEAVY and cost Hundreds for each way.
Electronically is the only economic and size way and once you past the amp, the is no inexpensive way to do it electrically.
Then you would still need to add phase and impedance compensation, so a whole other complication.

Figure out your mic and REW, get some way to take impedance and then take some in-box measurements, otherwise all you are doing is guessing on a XO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th March 2017, 06:53 PM   #33
dreamerm6 is offline dreamerm6
diyAudio Member

Thank you! Thats what I wanted to know. Yes I will do tests with Mic and software before I complete the XO. Just getting the basic information sorted before I start building the XO.
Old 25th March 2017, 07:14 PM   #34
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

I disagree with those who say on-line calculators shouldn't be used - Like any tool, you just need to know how to use them. Going back to the first post, you have used 'nominal' values of impedance - first mistake. Get hold of the manufacturer's data sheet, and read off the impedance of the driver at your chosen crossover frequency, and use that in the calculator. If you can't get data sheets, then you'll need to run an impedance plot yourself, this is possible by using the LIMP module of ARTA and a simple jig. Design of 3 way crossovers can be simplified by making the woofer-mid xover point the same as the baffle step frequency.
Old 25th March 2017, 07:22 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
I disagree with those who say on-line calculators shouldn't be used - Like any tool, you just need to know how to use them. Going back to the first post, you have used 'nominal' values of impedance - first mistake. Get hold of the manufacturer's data sheet, and read off the impedance of the driver at your chosen crossover frequency, and use that in the calculator. If you can't get data sheets, then you'll need to run an impedance plot yourself, this is possible by using the LIMP module of ARTA and a simple jig. Design of 3 way crossovers can be simplified by making the woofer-mid xover point the same as the baffle step frequency.

That makes sense off course, the speakers might be 7.5ohm etc! Thank you I actually never thought of that! I will measure them with my multimeter to see what they really are. Also obviously the calculator gives you a good reference to what you can expect to use component wise, unless you get drivers which really fall out of the bus giving weird responces etc.
Old 25th March 2017, 07:43 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

measure with a multimeter is pointless, you'll only get Re. read my sig, a proper impedance plot involves doing a frequency sweep of the driver and producing a graph of impedance vs. frequency. Look at a speaker data sheet to get the idea
Old 25th March 2017, 07:47 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
measure with a multimeter is pointless, you'll only get Re. read my sig, a proper impedance plot involves doing a frequency sweep of the driver and producing a graph of impedance vs. frequency. Look at a speaker data sheet to get the idea
I get you now! You are talking about this :

Help needed - understanding crossovers-ohmvsfreq-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ohmvsfreq.jpg (61.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 26th March 2017, 12:25 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Old 26th March 2017, 03:32 AM   #39
steveu is offline steveu  United States
diyAudio Member

The signal from an amp to a speaker is a POWER signal. Any crossover that handles such a signal has to operate at that power level. Electronic crossovers operate at line level, ie milli-watts. Be sure you understand that electronics including amplifies do not amplify, they carve a bigger copy out of their power supplies and hence their output is limited to the size of that power supply. The signal power output of any electronic device does not come from the signal input.
Old 26th March 2017, 08:53 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thank you thank you!
  Reply to this post

Help needed - understanding crossoversHide this!Advertise here!