Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help needed - understanding crossovers
Help needed - understanding crossovers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2017, 07:35 AM   #21
steveu is offline steveu  United States
diyAudio Member

Adding another woofer will help but you will probably find that the mid and tweeter are too loud. This is because they will be significantly more efficient. The wavelength of 100Hz is about 12 feet and my guess is that your woofer is not that big. So you pretty much always need an attenuator on the highs and mids. You can buy L-pads but it's probably better to measure the sound levels at different ranges and make a fixed pad for each as needed. In any case, you need a real-time analyzer to evaluate the results. This is no longer a big deal and can be just a decent mic into your sound card with some free software.
Old 25th March 2017, 08:09 AM   #22
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

...but don't forget in-room placement ( and the so called "room gain")
( bass reinforcement)
PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveu View Post
You can buy L-pads but it's probably better to measure the sound levels at different ranges and make a fixed pad for each as needed. In any case, you need a real-time analyzer to evaluate the results. This is no longer a big deal and can be just a decent mic into your sound card with some free software.
The level and pitch can be adeguately recognized by the human ear

Last edited by picowallspeaker; 25th March 2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 25th March 2017, 08:25 AM   #23
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the ear has a non flat frequency sensitivity. If you equalize a response to be flat by ear you end up with a really non flat FR. Try with a tone of 100Hz and one of 1KHz. If your speaker has the same sensitivity at those frequencies, playing those tones at the same volume you will perceive the higher tone as louder, even if in fact it is not.

Ralf
Old 25th March 2017, 08:29 AM   #24
dreamerm6 is offline dreamerm6
diyAudio Member

Thank you all, please keep the advice coming, im learning a lot!
Old 25th March 2017, 08:56 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

How about going active crossover?
Is there any available for in cabinet speaker frequency controll?

something like this :

Amp--->Speaker wire--->activeXO---->3way split to each driver. ?
Old 25th March 2017, 09:20 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

In an active xo the xo is before the amp.

Ralf
Old 25th March 2017, 10:14 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giralfino View Post
In an active xo the xo is before the amp.

Ralf
So no one has designed a small electronic XO which could be inside the speaker cabinet yet?
How hard can it be? Or maybe expensive? Am i missing something electronic wise which would make it too difficult to build?
I mean you have the electronic XO which filters 2 or 3 way just like a passive one would do..
Old 25th March 2017, 10:42 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. An active crossover works at line level so between the source and the amp. If you want to put inside the speaker the active crossover you should also put the amp(s) inside. You need an amp for every way, if you want a 3-way all active you need 3 amps. It has be done several ways in commercial products.
A crossover between the amp and the drivers is a passive crossover.

Ralf
Old 25th March 2017, 10:47 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giralfino View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. An active crossover works at line level so between the source and the amp. If you want to put inside the speaker the active crossover you should also put the amp(s) inside. You need an amp for every way, if you want a 3-way all active you need 3 amps. It has be done several ways in commercial products.
A crossover between the amp and the drivers is a passive crossover.

Ralf
No, you were clear and I understand 100%.

What I am asking is something totally different.
Why has no one made an electronic crossover where you can connect your speaker wire straight from the amp (wire carries the full range of frequencies) to this little electronic XO which then devide the frequencies into 2 or 3 or 4 bands for bass, midbass etc?
Doing what a passive does but electronically? Call it a POST amp active XO. Splitting dividing the frequencies electronically?

Last edited by dreamerm6; 25th March 2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added text
Old 25th March 2017, 01:13 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default POST amp electronic crossover

Hi Guys,

Please bare with me as I try to explain what I would like to know.

If you have a classic design speaker it has a passive crossover inside consisting of mainly capacitors and inductors changing the frequency (or limiting) to send low Hz to the woofer and High Hz to the tweeter, thus protecting the drivers by limiting the frequencies the have to re produce.
When you have an active crossover it changes the frequencies even before it gets to the amplifier and then the amplifier only amplifies a specific frequency range then send it to the speaker.

NOW WHAT IF: (active post amplifier crossover)
So from your amplifier you will connect the speaker wire to the electronic crossover which will then electronically divide the frequencies in a much more stable and effective way into a 2, 3 4 way split which can then be sent to the drivers inside the cabinet ?

Why has no one built a POST Amplifier electronic corssover? Will it be to big, heavy, expensive?

Example: Source--->Amplifier--->speaker wire--->Electronic crossover---->speaker

Last edited by dreamerm6; 25th March 2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: edit

Help needed - understanding crossoversHide this!Advertise here!