Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Help needed - understanding crossovers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2017, 04:21 PM   #11
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerm6 View Post
Thank you guys for your help. Can I use my yamaha rxa3060 mic? Then I'll download the software and test the driver response once inside the cabinet and then use the response measurement to better design the XO. What is this sound easy v21 software like?
Is this the room EQ mic supplied with your receiver? If it is, then yes, its probably a unidirectional mic. Your PC probably has an internal sound card with sufficient resolution to do "relative" measures for checking/tuning.

BTW you are correct in trying to calc/sim your crossover network before building it. You may have to "tweak" a little after building but you'll at least be in the ballpark. Even better you'll have a baseline as to what to expect and hence know where to initial look for problems.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:21 PM   #12
bullittstang is offline bullittstang  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure about the Yamaha mic, not personally tried that.
Look at a UMM-6 from Parts-Express and use REW software (free), but you also need to get the phase (zma) of the drivers to use with the FR graphs (frd) you get with the mic.
DATS (again Parts express) is a very easy to set-up and use product, but you can google and make your own jig with a few parts and a computer sound card, but not as easy as DATS. You would be hard to beat the Swope using those drivers, IMHO even taking months of study and XO design. Paul C. has been designing XO's for 10+ years and is highly regarded in the DIY world.
Google "Paul Carmody undefinition" and read every link on the right-hand margin of his site, you will immediately increase your knowledge 300%.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:25 PM   #13
dreamerm6 is offline dreamerm6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again guys, I'll read up on your suggestions.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay so here is what I want to accomplish:
3 way - 4 driver all 8ohm (2 x woofer, 1 mid, 1 tweeter)

So with this calculator I have the values for a normal 2nd order butterwoth design.

But now when I add a 2nd woofer in parallel obviously the ohms would become less, Rtotal = R1ŚR2/(R1+R2) = 4ohm

So by using this online calculator, i change tha value of woofers to 4ohm.

The inductor and capacitor values did change at the woofer level, but what about the rest of the circuit? Will the rest of the circuit still run at the desired 800/4500hz ?

Thank you.
I don't recognize the calculator you're using, can you post a link. Does it at least require you to enter both the speaker DC resistance and inductance for each speaker? I say at least because usually a 5 element model for the speaker is preferred.

Last edited by DonVK; 24th March 2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: removed pics
Old 24th March 2017, 04:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
I don't recognize the calculator you're using, can you post a link. Does it at least require you to enter both the speaker DC resistance and inductance for each speaker? I say at least because usually a 5 element model for the speaker is preferred.
ERSE - Crossover Calculators

dont know if its any good, but was just to get the basic values.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:31 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
Is this the room EQ mic supplied with your receiver? If it is, then yes, its probably a unidirectional mic. Your PC probably has an internal sound card with sufficient resolution to do "relative" measures for checking/tuning.

BTW you are correct in trying to calc/sim your crossover network before building it. You may have to "tweak" a little after building but you'll at least be in the ballpark. Even better you'll have a baseline as to what to expect and hence know where to initial look for problems.
Yes thanks that was my idea, to get a basic idea of components ill need.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ERSE - Crossover Calculators

dont know if its any good, but was just to get the basic values.
Not a useful calculator.

There are many combinations of L&C that will create a filter curve and their impedance depend (interact) with the speaker model. I don't know what this calculator assumes for the speaker electrical characteristics. Would be a huge leap of faith to use it.
Old 24th March 2017, 04:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes thanks that was my idea, to get a basic idea of components ill need.
I've used the Yamaha mic from RXV659 it works fine. Your is probably similar. I've used both ARTA (demo mode) and REW (free).

Last edited by DonVK; 24th March 2017 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25th March 2017, 02:45 AM   #19
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think bullittstang has given you a terrific set of ideas with the Paul Carmody "Swope" designs.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/swope-ht

Last time I looked, the old Hivi M...A series were almost identical to current M...N series. And swapping tweeters is plain simple, IMO. Just adjust for level.

There is a way of impedance correcting well-behaved drivers so they work with off-the-shelf calculated designs with a capacitor and resistor, and adding the bass box correction known as bafflestep with a coil and resistor in parallel. And it can make for an easy to drive speaker.

But, really, Paul Carmody has done all the heavy lifting for you here.
Old 25th March 2017, 07:10 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I think bullittstang has given you a terrific set of ideas with the Paul Carmody "Swope" designs.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/swope-ht

Last time I looked, the old Hivi M...A series were almost identical to current M...N series. And swapping tweeters is plain simple, IMO. Just adjust for level.

There is a way of impedance correcting well-behaved drivers so they work with off-the-shelf calculated designs with a capacitor and resistor, and adding the bass box correction known as bafflestep with a coil and resistor in parallel. And it can make for an easy to drive speaker.

But, really, Paul Carmody has done all the heavy lifting for you here.
Thank you appreciate the advice!

Help needed - understanding crossoversHide this!Advertise here!