Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Do i need analog active Crossover or Digital Crossover for DIY home theatre speakers?
Do i need analog active Crossover or Digital Crossover for DIY home theatre speakers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2016, 04:57 AM   #1
dipankar862 is offline dipankar862  India
Banned

Default why can't we test our loudspeaker and crossover in rooms which will be used there

Since, we don't have the facilities of anehoic chamber to test diy speakers. I doubt the accuracy of Quasi-anechoic theory of measurement. But why we can't test in the rooms in which it is going to be placed. We know that frequency response of speakers in anechoic chamber will vary in real room environment. And with this we can really see so how this speakers is going to behave in that room.

Last edited by jazbo8; 14th December 2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 14th December 2016, 05:40 AM   #2
korpberget is offline korpberget  Norway
diyAudio Member

I did. My dipoles are taylormade for my listening room.
Lampizator recommends it too somewhere on his site.
Old 14th December 2016, 06:36 AM   #3
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipankar862 View Post
Since, we don't have the facilities of anehoic chamber to test diy speakers. I doubt the accuracy of Quasi-anechoic theory of measurement. But why we can't test in the rooms in which it is going to be placed. We know that frequency response of speakers in anechoic chamber will vary in real room environment. And with this we can really see so how this speakers is going to behave in that room.
Well you can but you have to decide what you want to measure. If you want to measure the speaker itself, then obviously you want to avoid anything that sends sounds to the test mike that does not come directly from the speaker, like room reflections. There are techniques to do that, except for say below a few 100 Hz.

If you want to measure how the speaker and the room together make sound, you can too.

So depends on what you want to measure.

Jan
Old 14th December 2016, 06:47 AM   #4
Banned

what is the disadvantages for measuring speaker with direct sound and room reflection sound? After the measurement, i can use the equalizer to flatten the frequency response of sound coming from both speaker and reflection sound. After equalizing, i will have linear frequency response within the room itself which is good. Long delay Reverberation in the room issue, we can sort out reverberation by using acoustic panels.
Old 14th December 2016, 07:01 AM   #5
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

If the sound at the listening position doesn't resemble the output of the speaker then something is less than ideal. Precisely what that is is the question. It may or may not be fixable at the crossover, and the optimum crossover might not be what the in room measurement suggests. The more you design the speaker for the room, or possibly treat the room, the less this should be a problem but knowing why means understanding what the differences are.
Old 14th December 2016, 07:13 AM   #6
Banned

Suppose we take measurement of speaker within a room of which ideal position i will be always listening. Now with that frequency response graph, I can use active crossover for 2-way or 3-way design and use DSP to get maximum linear frequency response from 20-20000 hz. Then we need others procedure like Quasi-Anechoic or Ground Plane etc which will vary greatly with actual room listening position.
Old 14th December 2016, 07:20 AM   #7
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you eq to a flat response at the listening position (in room) your speakers will sound far to bright with no bass response.

(I have tried this in my room with several different set ups)

Eq outdoors to a flat response then put them in your room, then tweak to your preference.
Old 14th December 2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Banned

I don't understand what is too bright meant by? And why it is happening?
Old 14th December 2016, 08:02 AM   #9
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since, we don't have the facilities of anehoic chamber to test diy speakers. I doubt the accuracy of Quasi-anechoic theory of measurement...
The very idea of the quasi anechoic measurements exists for a very long time and has been put to test only goodness knows how many times with success, so there is no objective foundation to doubt its usefulness. You have to get acquainted with it to appreciate it fully. Would be a good idea to get a book or two on the subject, like Dr.D'Appolito's "Testing loudspeakers" or Toole's "Sound reproduction - loudspeakers and rooms".
Best wishes.

@Jan: Congrats on a huge success with silent switcher! You deserve it.
Old 14th December 2016, 08:08 AM   #10
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Suppose we take measurement of speaker within a room of which ideal position i will be always listening.
If the response measures differently at the listening position, say it's too loud at one frequency when you measure a steady tone because there is a near wall reflection, you'll adjust and the direct sound will be more quiet, the reflected sound is louder than the reverberation which for some other frequencies will be the first significant reflection, it will also be much sooner, it will be at some near angle to the direct, it will be odd in its response in that there may be some comb filtering and other issues, plus the reverberant level at those adjusted frequencies will be altered eg. maybe they will be taken down too low.

This may or may not be fixed with a crossover. Sometimes it can only make it less noticeable but turning it down may not be a positive thing either. If this acoustic problem causes problems with reproduction, you will want an acoustic fix. Otherwise you need to plan for this when designing the speakers.

Do i need analog active Crossover or Digital Crossover for DIY home theatre speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!