A 28 Hz - 25 kHz Fully front-loaded Horn 3-way 'Mart(Par)agon'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Inspired by the 'Paragon', over the past years (using AJ Horn, Arta and WinISD), I developped a wideband (25 Hz -25 kHz) fully front-loaded horn transducer for high-end HiFi first of all. Thanks to the giant sensitivity (> 100 dB at 1 Watt), the concept is also applicable for larger venues and even outdoor PA.
The largest 'Super-size' version incorporates a 3 meter long parabolic horn, in a 'smaller' 'Full-size' version this horn still measures 2 meter. The concept is tri-amped for low, mid and high; bandpass filters, some subtle EQ and delays to compensate for the various lengths of the 3 horns is accomplished via the Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 DSP Loudspeaker Management System.

Please let me know if you would like to know more on this concept.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: Since this is a multi-way horn design I've moved it to the Multi-Way forum which is the best place for it.

:D Mod hat off: Please do share more details. I'm quite interested in hearing more. I'm running a homebrew 3 way system with Onken bass bin, JBL 2440/2382A on mids and a Fostex T-825A on the top. Passive speaker level XO and actively equalized (minimally required).

Hello: the design specs, o.a., dictated a source-point transducer. This resulted in a 3 way multi-horn system, all 3 front-loaded.

The largest model is seen in the 1st picture.
Low transducer is the 18 Sound 15MB1000 in a 3 meter parabolic horn, mid transducer is Decware DFR-8 (modified Fostex FE206En ) in a 50 cm hyperbolic horn, high is the Fostex T90A.
The 2nd picture shows a smaller version where only the low horn is reduced to 2 meter length.

Low bandwidth: 28 - 150 Hz (35 - 150 Hz for the smaller enclosure)
Mid: 150 Hz - 7 kHz
High: 7 - 25 kHz

Since I am totally new here: how do I attach pictures via URL?

Martagon

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pict 1: the 'Super Size' Martagon. Note that all 3 horns are concentric, the low being folded. The delays related to the various lengths (3 meter, 0.5 meter and 0.05 meter) are corrected for via delays in the 3 fold bandpass DSP filters. The result is a transducer of about 1 m**2 with all components from 28 Hz to 25 kHz in phase, a true point-source for optimized stereo imaging and short/medium/long throw projection

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pict 2: the 'Full Size' Martagon. Only the low horn is reduced down to 2 meter.

Pict 3: A stereo setup (inspired by Paragon China closet) with eh Super-Size at the left and the Full Size at the right. Again the difference in horn-length of the Left-Right low-horns is corrected/delayed via DSP.
Middle: DSP processor and 3 ordinary stereo solid-state amps.

2mc9d.jpg

1z4bjph.jpg

apeb28.jpg

:)

Yes they loaded for me.. I right clicked and opened in a new window etc.. Learned that from GM just a few days ago.. I feel kind of dumb for not figuring that out all these years, doh lol... Cool project btw OP!

How do they sound and have you tried them on end to raise the mid/tweet higher for comparison?

Last edited:
Sorry Wim Martens my wording previous didn't come out the way I meant it with the few cells that remain in my brain lol. It's interesting you are using the Decware 206, I also have some Decware in my system.. I think your cabs look excellent and are nicely made. It was just of interest to me if you had tried standing them up on end to bring up the mid/tweet sitted ear height, and your impressions etc. They also look like good candidates to be perched atop sub cabs of maybe 2 15'''s or 18''s per side working 60hz-50hz or so and down. This would raise the height and make a killer foundation/addition .. They probably don't need it, but would add to the already total coolness you've created ..

Martagon LF units

To DaveCan:

truncated LF horns constitute a mix between 'horn' (for 'higher' freqs) and '1/4 lampda' transmission line. As such, the plain frequency transfer is like shown in the below picture, for the small Martagon LF unit; as a result of this hybrid nature you see an almost lineair upgoing slope over 10 dB from 25 to 100 Hz.
So, if you do NOT use some DSP, such
truncated LF hrons will produce LOTS of mid-bass.

The next picture show the behaviour after DSP (2nd order Butt HP at 25 Hz and some low-pass filtering to attenuate mid-bass.

Linear passband for the 'small' LF unit is 35 - 150 Hz. Note that HD is < 45 dB and < 50 dB for most frequencies...!

The last picture shows the passband for the 'large' LF unit ranging from 28 - 150 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.