If I surface mount a speaker that in the design has cut into the surface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If by "inlay" a speaker, you mean recess so the edges of the mounting flange / plate is flush with the front panel, there are both acoustic and aesthetic reasons for that. The aesthetics being obviously to maintain a clean look - for acoustics, it'll be efforts to minimize early diffraction of shorter wavelength high frequencies. It's worth noting that a large number of commercial enclosures - even from well respected names such as JBL, Advent - have for decades essentially ignored that concern, as well as extend the sides /tops & bottoms to effectively inset the front baffle by as much as 1/2", while others go out their way to deal with it.

If by "inlay" a speaker, you mean recess so the edges of the mounting flange / plate is flush with the front panel, there are both acoustic and aesthetic reasons for that. The aesthetics being obviously to maintain a clean look - for acoustics, it'll be efforts to minimize early diffraction of shorter wavelength high frequencies. It's worth noting that a large number of commercial enclosures - even from well respected names such as JBL, Advent - have for decades essentially ignored that concern, as well as extend the sides /tops & bottoms to effectively inset the front baffle by as much as 1/2", while others go out their way to deal with it.
With aesthetics flush mount or surface mount are no different as far as I'm concerned .Acoustic wise, I don't really understand . Seems like it could be compensated to the same degree with keeping the box with the same volume by adjusting the size or by by using thinner panels to build with, am I wrong.

As the waves encounter a sharp edge, in this case the edge of the drivers frame they are diffracted or bent like the ripples in a pool. This is only of any consequence when the edge dimensions is proportional to the wave length, ie, small at high frequencies. It doesn't have any bearing on the volume of the box.

As the waves encounter a sharp edge, in this case the edge of the drivers frame they are diffracted or bent like the ripples in a pool. This is only of any consequence when the edge dimensions is proportional to the wave length, ie, small at high frequencies. It doesn't have any bearing on the volume of the box.
Well I'm closer and please don't in any way think I'm trying to argue with you, but the edge of the speaker is the same if flush or surfaced mounted. Unless you mean the outside of the basket and then I would wonder how the wave got to that point. So are you saying the wave goes around the basket on surfaced mounted speakers? again , I'm not arguing , I just want to understand. Thank you.
I have looked all over the internet for help on this subject but it has been hard to pin down a source to explain it.

+1 on this. It depends. For a woofer, the response will not change. A flush mounted tweeter next to the woofer that is not flush mounted will see the woofer's flange, but again it depends on how thick the flange is, how close it is to the tweeter, and to some degree the curvature of the woofer's frame. John Kreskovsky did a study on this that you can find on his web site somewhere. Unless you have a really pathalogical case, the difference is ripples that are up to 2dB in amplitude (total, e.g. +/-1dB). I would not spend too much time worrying about it.

+1 on this. It depends. For a woofer, the response will not change. A flush mounted tweeter next to the woofer that is not flush mounted will see the woofer's flange, but again it depends on how thick the flange is, how close it is to the tweeter, and to some degree the curvature of the woofer's frame. John Kreskovsky did a study on this that you can find on his web site somewhere. Unless you have a really pathalogical case, the difference is ripples that are up to 2dB in amplitude (total, e.g. +/-1dB). I would not spend too much time worrying about it.
I was thinking the same thing ,but I've been wrong before. my lack of knowledge about building speakers is apparent but I have found out that these speaker epicures are way more exacting then I will ever attain but it is really important that I know the why. if not I'm getting nowhere. If anyone can increase my knowledge base on speaker builds, go to it. I'm a sponge.

I'm a sponge too
but when it comes to " speaker epicures that are way more exacting then I would never attain" my mind wanders...
"but it is really important that I know ( the ) why"
:rolleyes::whacko:
You mean that you have a pair of Epicure's and they sound really good and you want to investigate. (?!)
And you want to reach the kind of knowledge that would let you permit to replicate them ( that sound ) (!? )
:eek:

I'm a sponge too
but when it comes to " speaker epicures that are way more exacting then I would never attain" my mind wanders...
"but it is really important that I know ( the ) why"
:rolleyes::whacko:
You mean that you have a pair of Epicure's and they sound really good and you want to investigate. (?!)
And you want to reach the kind of knowledge that would let you permit to replicate them ( that sound ) (!? )
:eek:
Gee I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Oh...I was searching for the magic in speakers too...!
It has turned out to be more then I expected and the people that have chosen to do them right are to be respected. I'm up to my third build, They all have been built for speakers for my computer. The music source from the internet is endless and has made music take up a larger part of my life then it did in the past. I'm building a portable wifi speaker that can be used anywhere on my property where there is a plug. I've run the wifi through my electrical wiring in my house and it's outbuilding. Mainly my studio I built in the woods behind my house that I spend my time in in warm weather. In cold weather I'm in my wood shop and this new portable will work in there also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.