Sonos Wireless speakers. The latest squeeze in technology!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My nephew is rather pleased with his latest speakers for home cinema and music. :cool:

I have to admit I was impressed with the automatic equalisation of the sound through the microphone on his iPad linking to the Sonos App.

I scarcely understand all the nuts and bolts of the process. The music comes from the internet Cloud. The speakers are connected through the WiFi, so no wires. We sit through a couple of minutes of test-tones, then it stores the results on the equalisers.

Various Sonos speakers, like soundbars, subwoofers, and discrete speakers.

It's terrific stuff. I was certainly impressed by the basic sound. It's a bit like the early days of CD, IMO. 90% of the sound for a lot less effort than vinyl, and cheaper.

AFAIK, Sonos use paired 4" drivers for most of their systems. And it's low distortion. Active amplification, filters and equalisation to the room acoustics and placement. The Class D amps are in the speaker cabinets.

I think we must do an A/B comparison with my latest conventional squeeze to resolve this. Because it takes a long evaluation to really decide, IMO. At least an hour. :D

599660d1487267698-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitor-audio-r300-md-resurrected-cabinet.jpg

Please God, don't tell me our efforts at multiway have just been rendered obsolete by new technology. Below. :eek:

Attachments

• Sonos Play 3.JPG
    Sonos Play 3.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Sonos Play 5.JPG
    Sonos Play 5.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I heard the new Sonos 5 at a store a while back and was very impressed by the sound quality. Not sure how they get so much bass from a sealed box with no passive radiator. Earlier gen ones were ported.

I was so impressed I even started a thread. But it went nowhere. No one around here wants to dicker around with active DSP multiway multi channel speakers in a single box.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/282896-sonos-play-5-a.html

When you do the comparison, and you find yourself thinking "this sounds so good it is unreal", that's because it actually sounds that good. Don't be surprised if your speakers lose to the new Play 5. There are so many things going on in the new Play 5 that DIY can't even come close.

xrk971: The woofers in the Play 5 have a claimed Xmax of 8mm. That seems ridiculous, but since Dan Wiggins was the main designer, it uses the XBL2 motor and is most likely true . The Sd is a lot higher than a typical 4" woofer. They maximized the cone area by minimizing the frame with a pin-cushion style frame so the woofer has an surround to surround diameter of 4". Then they apply ~20dB of bass boost to flatten the response to 30Hz, and add a very effective variable high pass limiter, and the result is stunningly deep and loud bass from a very small box.

Please God, don't tell me our efforts at multiway have just been rendered obsolete by new technology. Below. :eek:

Nah. I use Sonos Connects as a source on various multiway (and one full range) systems :D I've heard good things about their AIO systems, but I still get the connectivity/functionality (the interface is great on PC/tablet) and run that through various systems. I wish they weren't quite as expensive, they are extremely handy little devices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.