601 KB · Views: 208
  • Sub 5.jpg
    Sub 5.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 218
  • Sub 6.jpg
    Sub 6.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: 1 user
Haven't heard them yet...Need to modify my amp for the additional channels before I have something to drive them.
i.e. 2 * Hypex UcD400's

On another note, this week I showed the painted subs to my wife? Her only question was "why are there 2"?

I said "Remember how i said I was working on the sub-woofers? That's plural"
That was followed by weird looks...

Shouldn't be too far away in reporting performance results.

I have some L26RO4Y and wouldn't use them for midrange.
The L26ROY is very different though, and should be better suited for that.

Hi Eirik - I deliberated for some time on which way to go between the RO4Y and the ROY.

Based on the specs ROY will go a bit lower than the RO4Y comfortably albeit in a larger cab. My sub's are for music and not theater hence my closed box design.

I also like the theoretical flexibility of taking the ROY through the lower mids, but time will tell once i complete this project and record this project.

Update for Wright!!!

Have now finished both subs and wired in 1 * UcD400HG module. I'm out of room to lay the 2nd UcD400HG module without re-configuring the layout.

So at this stage running as a 2.1 setup which will have to persist for the minute.

With some qualitative testing, I'm crossing at 200Hz and sound is definitely better. I wont elaborate until i spend time tuning and measuring quantitatively.

Cheers,

Nice that you've got this up and running and glad to hear that it's improving further. I'll be interested to see if you tweak it much after measuring and whether you feel that a second sub adds much further improvement, if and when you end up adding it in. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Hi Wright,

I did settle on a design and have thus far built my speakers and amp, but not the sub's as yet. Still some minor tweaking to do when I find the time…

For the Speakers

• Troels CNO-25 – pretty much to plan, but
    • Made out of MDF
    • Front baffle is 36mm slightly larger than plan but internal dimensions maintained. Why, I could glued 2 x 18mm sheets together.
  • Mod’s – since the plan was to actively bi-amp, have installed a 4 core Neutrik Speakon socket and wired with Van Damme 4 core pro series speaker cable (might not be the exact name)
  • Speakers – Woofer’s W18NX001 and Tweeter T29CF002. Why? Well whilst expensive wasn’t material in the overall project cost so thought why risk? Still don’t know if they are that much better than the SEAS T25CF001…but I’m not losing sleep over it.

For the amp

• 4 x UcD180 w/HxR’s to biamp the CNO-25’s. powered with 2 * SMPS400A180’s
  • On the DAC I went with the Hypex DLCP in the end (shift in direction). Why?
    • Simplicity – all in one solution for DSP and DAC, 6 channels for 2 * 3 way.
    • miniDSP – feedback is mixed, generally need a separate DAC solution if hi end
    • DLCP
      • Overall great product
      • USB input is only 16-48. Need to use SPDIF or AES for higher…really just a function of product life-cycle

Plan for the Subs

• I haven’t started the build but have parts ready to go
    • Will be Sealed SUB’s
    • 2 x SEAS L26ROY
    • 2 x UcD400’s to drive (I dropped the HxR on these as I understand no audible benefit as low frequencies). A SMPS400A400 to power

And the result

• Overall I’m satisfied but looking to optimise a few things before I pass judgement.
  • As documented, Troel’s CNO designs can lack in bass response. I have found this to be the case if I crossover and do not apply room correction EQ.
    • Active EQ’ing changes this paradigm somewhat. Particularly when the DSP and DAC implementation are great (i.e. Hypex DLCP). Having said that, at loud volumes and the mood confirms would be good to have a bit more bottom end on tap to move some air...
    • The Sub’s I have planned will address this. When I get there it will be interesting as to where to cross the SUB’s and the CNO’s i.e. how low do I want the Sub’s to go??? How much lower mid to pass to CNO woofer’s etc. So many possibilities.

I’ll post some photo’s of the build soon.
Hi! Still happy with your speakers! They are look great! I’m think to build somethins similar, but the T29CF002 price kills me. Have you found any alternative with x2 less price or something like this?