Tweeter Replacement on Active DIY Loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple months back, I finished converting an old pair of Paradigm Export Monitors to an active crossover:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/298422-active-paradigm-export-monitor-upgrade.html

The results were very good, especially considering the constraints inherent in modifying a design rather than starting with a blank slate.

Alas, one of the tweeters is on its way out. Gritty sound from it, and gradually getting worse. Time for another project!

Since this is an active speaker, I have a lot more latitude in selection of a replacement. I have two of these on order, Vifa XT25TG30-04:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WCQ4DG

They should fit the baffle cutout exactly, though I'll need to drill a few holes for the mounting screws.

I'll document the driver measurement, peq, and crossover design here as I make progress.

True just not sure why anybody would NOT go for the even nicer BG60 version.
Only $3 extra get you higher sensitivity and lower distortion.

But it is probably because many (incl. some retailers) mistake the double magnet for shielding which in these days of flat screens is practically obsolete.

Ok, I'm back, and this has been done. Damn, those are some tweeters. Granted, one of the old ones blew (which precipitated this project), but wow, the improvement... don't hesitate to use these VIFA units if they match your response needs.

They were indeed a direct fit. I performed crossover (active) in DSP, and it's sitting at 1776Hz. Response is basically flat now between 40hz and 20000hz in my room.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 96
Hey Charles,

BTW, I finally DID see this ring radiator in a shielded version, but from very old speakers. I think I now understand the issue. :) The shielded version has a can on the back. Looks like a bare soup can. I could see an average tech. writer getting confused.

The extra magnet is NOT shielded at all. :)

From what I can tell the shielded version has been out of production for at least a decade.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.