Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Auditioning Speakers
Auditioning Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2017, 08:09 AM   #11
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Quote:
“Tweeters change over time, so there’s no guarantee that a new tweeter will match one that’s eight years old. That’s why we recommend that you replace them in pairs,” says Otto Jørgensen, our Customer Care Manager.
Quote:
“If your speakers are more than 10 years old, we actually recommend you replace your tweeters altogether,” Otto says.
How to Clean Your Woofer Cones

Maybe its the tweeters.
Old 7th February 2017, 09:57 AM   #12
milkshake is offline milkshake
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicHIFI1 View Post
Clarity - Can I hear all the instruments playing all the time clearly. If it is a familiar track, can I hear what I hear with headphones and do I hear any detail I had not heard before?
Especially the "do I hear any detail I had not heard before?" comment.

Adding compression and thus harmonic distortion decreases the level between low signals and high signals in audio. The result is that after compression/adding harmonic distortion, the low level signals will be higher in level. And you seem to hear more detail. This can certainly sound nice, that's why its used on 99.999% of every single musical recording released since the latest ice age.

Imo, the reproduced sound should sound exactly like the original sound. If you hear more "detail" in the reproduced sound than in the original sound, then its not an accurate reproduction.
Old 7th February 2017, 03:28 PM   #13
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
A/B testing. I usually use the same audition pieces as well. I also use spoken voice off the radio, which can be very revealing of colourations.
A spoken voice off the radio is not a good test, most of the presenters have their voices electronically modified to sound more manly or feminine,
I can Remember Terry Wogan in that UK TV show Blankety Blank, he needed a mic on a stick, giving him the close mic (increase bass) setup that is used in radio.
Old 7th February 2017, 10:49 PM   #14
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
A spoken voice off the radio is not a good test, most of the presenters have their voices electronically modified to sound more manly or feminine,
I can Remember Terry Wogan in that UK TV show Blankety Blank, he needed a mic on a stick, giving him the close mic (increase bass) setup that is used in radio.
I agree in absolute terms. But I do not test as to how "accurate" the voice is, but compare with a known reference speaker. I find that colouration a really do get highlighted. Music I find much less obvious for spotting colourations.
Old 16th September 2020, 06:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Just came across this - forgot my headphones again, has anyone tried this and does it help?

SpeakerCompare™: Listen and Compare Speakers Online – Crutchfield
Old 16th September 2020, 04:40 PM   #16
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

I just tried it.....you can certainly hear the signatures.

How true to life it is?
Old 17th September 2020, 01:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

My headphones are not listed, but I was very very annoyed by the test: the speakers all sounded so different, one was bright, the other had the best balance I thought, the other one was too muted.

If these are all HiFi they should sound close to the same, or they are all far from HiFi. What is going on here.

Surely speaker building is a black art.
Old 18th September 2020, 08:16 PM   #18
GeoffMillar is offline GeoffMillar
diyAudio Member

I use the same set of tracks to audition and test speakers, although now it's more comparing my DIY builds to my reference speakers: Curt Campbell's 'Slapshots' MTMs. They include:

Bach Gavotte and Rondeau by Julia Fischer
Dies Irae from Verdi's Requiem, Calro Maria Guilini
Angel by Sarah McLachlan
Up on Cripple Creek The Band
Box Sam Brown
So What Miles Davis
Don't Let Me Down The Beatles
Freedom Jimi Hendrix live LA Forum 1970 bootleg

I find these tracks give a range of material both well and poorly recorded (important, as much of our music isn't so well recorded or mixed), vocal, drum and bass performance and top end. The Verdi is a huge choral piece which will test just about any speakers or system. Up On Cripple Creek has a bass/drum pattern which will challenge any woofer and the drum sound on Box is just great and should sound so. The Bach violin is a nice test of upper treble and harmonics reproduction. The Hendrix is a good audience recording of a great concert and will sound pretty thin on speakers which are too 'clinical'.

These are all tracks which I listen to many times and I know how I like them to sound. That said, my hearing only goes to 10,000 Hz so I may well be missing out on something in my testing.

Geoff

Last edited by GeoffMillar; 18th September 2020 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 19th September 2020, 01:22 AM   #19
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicHIFI1 View Post
How to Clean Your Woofer Cones

Maybe its the tweeters.
There are several reasons speakers would 'go bad', caused by but not limited to:
1. Ferrofluid (if used in any of the drivers, usually dome tweeter and/or dome midrange) becoming thick and gummy due to age.
2. Electrolytic capacitors in the crossover drying out due to age
3. 'Soft parts' such as foam/rubber and doped fabric surrounds, silk domes - hardening, cracking, warping and perishing due to aging, heat cycling and sun exposure.
4. Dust and debris getting lodged in the magnetic gap or moving parts
5. Mechanical damage due to over loading or physical impact from the outside e.g. a hole punched in the cone, a voicecoil being bent and now rubbing due to the cone being bottomed out or forced by curious fingers.

(1) may be able to be fixed by replacement of the fluid if the tweeter is serviceable (not glued together), however be aware that tweeters can be extremely fragile and sensitive to alignment during assembly so if the ferrofluid is still good, attempting to replace it may do more harm than good. Not all tweeters use ferrofluid, so if you don't know if they do you're running the risk of damaging the tweeter to open it just to find out.

(2) can be rectified easily by replacing the capacitors with new ones of the same values.

(3) some soft parts may plausibly be replaced, such as the surrounds of woofers however OEM replacement parts are likely to be no longer available (or never were). Using generic replacement surrounds will certainly sound better than a perished surround, however it will never sound exactly the same as it did from factory. When soft parts go bad on a tweeter, you typically replace the entire diaphragm assembly. In the event of no new replacement being available or the diaphragm not being easily replaceable (glued in), you could source an entire second hand tweeter (if you can even find one - I would think highly unlikely for the Sony model you have) but who is to say that the replacement hasn't aged just as badly as your original. Replacing drivers with a different brand/model is generally a bad idea as the crossover has been designed for the response of the original drivers and it is a total gamble as to what sound you will get by blindly substituting them with another model.

(4) and (5) can be difficult or impossible to resolve perfectly without replacing the entire driver with an undamaged item.

If you have speakers that are 20-30+ years old, they likely have started to develop many of the above issues. It might be time to move on to a new set of speakers. Many of the 'monkey coffin' speakers from decades past, while ok performers for their time, aren't anything to write home about these days anyway.

Last edited by TMM; 19th September 2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 19th September 2020, 01:23 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(important, as much of our music isn't so well recorded or mixed)

Well its not just the speakers that are ugly. That said, a lot of the tracks listen to - I can only admire the recording engineers skills - have you listened to any Eagles tracks? The engineer was a former US nave Sonar Operator chosen for his hearing skills.

Is the YouTube version of the tracks you listed of sufficient quality to test speakers? Or do we have to have the CD?

Auditioning SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!