DIY Boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Everyone,

I'd like to build a hifi boombox. To start, I've been looking at higher end bluetooth speakers (around $500) but then I got to thinking, if I could put that much money into DIY materials I'd probably be able to make a pretty sweet boombox. Unfortunately, I haven't quite reached noob status creating crossovers so that's a pretty big obstacle to overcome. I found some drivers on parts-express and made a ROUGH drawing in sketchup. I'm here to see if anyone would be interested in helping me with this project.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1x - RSS315HF-4
4x - RS100-4
2x - PT2C-8

Try again: the image doesn't display...

And...what about that big woofer ? I haven't seen any boombox with such enormous woofer; usually you see " 4 in a row", the middle ones being the "sub".
But...the real "next thing" in BB is DSP which the newest class D amplifiers have: you can make filters ( HP and LP ) and EQ

Hi, I'd just "hack" some 2.1 multimedia speakers such Logitech or something else. The filtering between the sub and the satellites is already performed electronically ( active crossover ). You need to add the batteries and a BT module.
Then you can make changes to speakers if you want something different ( just check the impedance of each driver to be sure the amplifier works into some "comfort zone" )
:eek:

I'm actually not terribly concerned with the need for batteries... The purpose of this thing would be to have a (relatively) easy to transport single box to take with me on vacations, things like cottages and stuff. Usually, I take my Sansui, Heresys and a DAC with me, I'm tired of doing that now though. So far bluetooth speakers i'm interested in are over $500, and I wonder how much (or little) of that price is to cover the actual components..

Now I'm kind of thinking of maybe building some diy bookshelves off designs already out there and attaching them to a sub. Even if it's 1 box with 2 power cords, it'd be kinda hood but better than hauling my whole stereo...

A couple of thoughts.

- Class D amp for sure. Great sound, small, little heat, efficient
- Add an external power input jack in case you want to take it tailgating, etc. and then you can plug a battery into it.
- You could take a proven DIY bookshelf speaker designs and build a pair in a way that can clip together or separate if you need them to. You can change the proportions (within reason) as long as you keep the overall volume the same per cabinet.
- Unless you really love a lot of bass, small speakers DSP equalized can sound pretty great
- If I were building another one today, I would build a Raspberry Pi into it, use Moode (See thread on computer audio elsewhere on this forum) and control the thing with my phone or tablet. You can plug a hard drive with FLAC files into it and get CD quality sound. IMO, Bluetooth is a step down, qualitywise.
- If you go the RPI route, there is a DAC with a subwoofer output if you must have one. BUT, it will be hard to get a lot of deep bass out of a small box no matter what you do.
- Mini-DSP has a nice digital EQ unit that works great and can do the subwoofer putput also.
- There are a number of class D amp boards on eBay with built in bluetooth

Have fun!

A couple of thoughts.

- Class D amp for sure. Great sound, small, little heat, efficient
- Add an external power input jack in case you want to take it tailgating, etc. and then you can plug a battery into it.
- You could take a proven DIY bookshelf speaker designs and build a pair in a way that can clip together or separate if you need them to. You can change the proportions (within reason) as long as you keep the overall volume the same per cabinet.
- Unless you really love a lot of bass, small speakers DSP equalized can sound pretty great
- If I were building another one today, I would build a Raspberry Pi into it, use Moode (See thread on computer audio elsewhere on this forum) and control the thing with my phone or tablet. You can plug a hard drive with FLAC files into it and get CD quality sound. IMO, Bluetooth is a step down, qualitywise.
- If you go the RPI route, there is a DAC with a subwoofer output if you must have one. BUT, it will be hard to get a lot of deep bass out of a small box no matter what you do.
- Mini-DSP has a nice digital EQ unit that works great and can do the subwoofer putput also.
- There are a number of class D amp boards on eBay with built in bluetooth

Have fun!

I really like these thoughts, especially the idea of sticking a raspbi in there, I've got a few of those sitting around. Is there any way to get Tidal or Spotify on Raspbi yet? Also just to mention again, this thing doesn't need to be small. I'm cool with it being 50 lbs and bigger than a breadbox, like I said before, would beat hauling the whole home rig around.

Are the suggested box sizes for subs on Parts-Express accurate? I'm looking at the Tang Band W8-740P, looks like it doesn't need to big of an enclosure..

*not pictured 15" passive radiator on the back of the sub box.
Would something like this be a good start? I'm thinking this with pre-assembled crossovers from PE. I figure as I learn I can tweak as long I have a solid base to start with. I could be way off the mark, if I am any help would be appreciated.

Just one tweeter per side. No need for two.
As for the crossover, just make sure that the specified impedance match is satisfied, for start -that's the basics.
Subwoofer/satellite filtering is best done actively, as it is done normally.
So you would need only LP for mid and HP for treble.
Usually ( for this class of product) you rely on the natural lowpass behaviour of the mid-wf and use a simple 1st order filter for the tw with a capacitor to put energy in the high treble. So in the end, for your purpose, a real crossover isn't needed.

You can take a look to the professional line of loudspeakers, either.
Beyma, B&C and many others.
A pair of coaxial speakers with a proper crossover- or normal midwoofers but in another league for efficiency - and a pair of tweeters, not necessarily compressions drivers + horns, but still in the > 92 dB efficiency range.

That thing looks really awesome, it's along the lines of what I'm thinking. I haven't been replying because I've been researching and drawing and learning. I'll have another serious drawing up at sometime soon, the one I'm going to build first. Turns out this isn't a super unique project, I've seen a lot of DIY boombox projects now, cool other people wanted this though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.