First project vintage"Radionette" wolf in sheepsclothing conversion. ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I have been reading up the last year on diy speakers. I have experience with car audio but always wanted small home speakers with a punch at home. So after selling my last small speaker I am starting diy speakers for my first time.

So with kids running and climbing everywhere I dont have the nerves to have speakers on stands in the living rom. Or more honest my gf is tired of speakers, so my plan is to modify her cute furniture, my grandfathers stereosystem...

595969d1485892441-first-project-vintage-radionette-wolf-sheepsclothing-conversion-ideas-imag0532.jpg

So my plan is to use a hidden amplifier and change the 6*9 seas original speakers to something that will surprise with really good sound. It will be used on tv, movies and music.

Its around 14,7 litres / 0.5 cubic feet. But could altered some +/- a few litres. It will take som woodworking to make a ported cabinet and I am aware of that.
Inside the width for speaker is 15,5cm maximum then the speaker chassis would be in a slot made for the original speakers, or 14,5cm wall to wall width.

595971d1485892441-first-project-vintage-radionette-wolf-sheepsclothing-conversion-ideas-imag0427.jpg

I have been dreaming about the Carrera from Paul Carmody.... but his Classix II would be around my budget. But would need to trim the Dayton speaker to get it to fit proper (trunkated?):D

I have never heard theese speakers but Paul Carmody writes in a understandable way and describe the sound just as I like it myself....

But I dont know if I will ruin the whole sound by squeezing them in this old furniture very close to the wall. Is this project not a good idea?

595970d1485892441-first-project-vintage-radionette-wolf-sheepsclothing-conversion-ideas-imag0529.jpg

I also have many speakers from car audio, but putting a high quality component set from a car in this.... well. Not proven design and I rather want something that works in lower frequencies.

But I am really open for suggestions how to make this project a real eyeopener for diy and produce a amazing sound with bass. It would be fun to still use seas speakers but have not found proven design that have good bass.
My reference is my old speaker, b&w 600 mk3. Great sound, but want something that goes lower.

Very happy to get some good advice to get this project started!

Last edited:
I cant get sound from the radio, I have someone that could repair it or at least look at it. But not sure if the cost of repair is balancing what I want out of this. If I repair the amplifier part, and change the speakers. Im not sure if the amp have enough power to run other speakers.
I was thinking to just run a amp hidden behind the tv. And use this "furniture" to get really good sound out of.... But maybe I have this all wrong?

My idea was to remove the original speakers. and just keep them for the sake of vintage value, so they could be reinstalled....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.