Which horn from 450 to 2000Hz? K-510?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying different DIY horns driven with a 5" cone, and I'm contemplating an off-the-shelf horn + compression driver for this range.

It's a 4-way system, active, digital xo (so steep slopes are easy), room correction (EQ for constant directivity), time alignment. Midrange driven by 45 SET.

Tweeter is Beyma TPL-150H, midbass are dual direct radiators and I could cross them higher if needed but I'm thinking I should get 2 octaves out of the midrange drivers.

I read very good things abouth Klipsch K-402, but too large to get my wife's OK. So the K-510 looks a lot better regarding size, and I read it can be crossed at 500Hz if steep slope is used.

Which other horns should I be looking at?

Thanks!

I don't know if this will help but Klipsch crosses the K510 on top of a Jubilee at 400Hz (2-way configuration so no tweeter)

On top of the LaScala, they cross the same horn at 470 Hz

I have most of my hearing and find this 2-way setup more than sufficient. (I own both the K402 and 510)

SEOS24 and BMS mid or coaxial compression drivers are good from 450hz+.

Thank you Face!

SEOS 24 does look interesting. It's probably the upper limit in size allowance I'd get:D

Looking around I found many posts but no polar measurements. Do you know of any?
Over at AVSforum someone measured on axis with a BMS 4594...4592-mid also looks good.

In my search I came across a post of yours saying you would try SEOS 24 and 4594. Do you happen to have measurements? How low did you end up xo? 4594 or 4594-mid?

Interesting!

All the horns I have and know of that will cover that range are bigger than the Seos 24. With on exception the JBL 2355. They are pretty long and are narrow radiation. I was thinking you might want the EV9040's (40= inches wide)or Community BRH90's (32" wide) - IME it takes a big horn and the right driver to get down that low without eq.
www.[B]jbl[/B]pro.com/pub/obsolete/Radial_Horns1.pdf

The K510 is tiny - i can't see it being used that low!

It might be tiny but it works. It is a 2" horn (I'm presuming everyone knows that)

(these are not my speakers)

oops, missed one. Editing to add the 510 on top of a LaScala. The K402 was a mistake to post.

Attachments

• 510.jpg
    510.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,015
  • JubScala.jpg
    JubScala.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 996
  • JubeScala II.JPG
    JubeScala II.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 979
Last edited:
The above pictures are a Klipsch Belle on the left with the top removed. Speaker on the right is a LaScala with the upper guts replaced.

The center speaker with the top horn is also a LaScala. That is the K402 horn that they generally use with their Jubilee (and MWM) speakers.

The K402 is (in absolute terms) taller and wider than the entire LaScala!

Both are fantastic sounding horns. Both are 2" throats. The K402 is crossed at 380Hz (on the 2-way Jubilee) and 470 Hz on the LaScala

Both are modified Tractrix so some equalization is required for the upper end.

Klipsch recommends an active.

It might be tiny but it works. It is a 2" horn (I'm presuming everyone knows that)

(these are not my speakers)

oops, missed one. Editing to add the 510 on top of a LaScala. The K402 was a mistake to post.

the lascala works fine up to 250 cycles - higher if you don't mind the sound

this little horn loads linear and has pattern control that low - no way i can see

i really want to see some measurements for the k510

my little 1 inch prv horns are similar sized and would not use below 1500

very curious to see measurements 3 feet or more out

thanks

The big cost here will be shipping, indeed. Logistics for me are a can of worms. Luckily I'm a patient guy. But first step is to identify the horn I want.

I previously had a pair of Selenium 2" horns. That seem quite well made. Their HM4750-SLF horn might be a good option if you can get them from Brazil more cheaply than you can buy stuff in from other continents.

zxpc (USA based ebay seller) has some decent 2" horns horns. They are not as well made as the HM4750-SLF, but if you want to keep costs low, or you were planning to hack / extend them, they could be worth considering.

(EQ for constant directivity),

You do know that EQ cannot do anything to change the directivity of a loudspeaker right?

The only way you can approach this kind of thing is if you're using multiple drivers, a la B&Os beolab 90. Using EQ to control the output of the, side mounted, 'filler', drivers to tailor the interference patterns that they create and therefore shape the off axis response however you like (at least within the scope of what the system can accomplish).

You do know that EQ cannot do anything to change the directivity of a loudspeaker right?

The only way you can approach this kind of thing is if you're using multiple drivers, a la B&Os beolab 90. Using EQ to control the output of the, side mounted, 'filler', drivers to tailor the interference patterns that they create and therefore shape the off axis response however you like (at least within the scope of what the system can accomplish).

Yes, I understand that. My comment was geared at the need to eq constant directivity horns.

I previously had a pair of Selenium 2" horns. That seem quite well made. Their HM4750-SLF horn might be a good option if you can get them from Brazil more cheaply than you can buy stuff in from other continents.

zxpc (USA based ebay seller) has some decent 2" horns horns. They are not as well made as the HM4750-SLF, but if you want to keep costs low, or you were planning to hack / extend them, they could be worth considering.

This is interesting. I go frequently to Brazil for business. How good is this horn? Never saw it mentioned before. Is it constant directivity?

Thank you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.