Help, I think I built an expensive antennae!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just broke down a triamped system that ran nearly dead quiet. With the active crossover removed running one EL84 amp I noticed a humm. Lifted the cables with amp off, still humm. Disconnected cables from amp. Still humm! Pulled speakers two feet from any device (tv,cable, etc...) still humm!!!! This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Cables are all sheilded and twisted pairs either PVC or Teflon can't remember at the moment. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I think I tracked it to the inductors which are quite large (16mh). Disconnecting speaker cables removes humm but leaving cables in place and disconnecting coils does too.

JN

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Are you using a CRO to view the hum with the speakers disconnected? Are the inputs connected to multiple amps that are grounded at the speaker as well? Does your EL84 have a zobel network at its output? Does the hum remain when you short the inputs?

I just broke down a triamped system that ran nearly dead quiet. With the active crossover removed running one EL84 amp I noticed a humm. Lifted the cables with amp off, still humm. Disconnected cables from amp. Still humm! Pulled speakers two feet from any device (tv,cable, etc...) still humm!!!! This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Cables are all sheilded and twisted pairs either PVC or Teflon can't remember at the moment. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I think I tracked it to the inductors which are quite large (16mh). Disconnecting speaker cables removes humm but leaving cables in place and disconnecting coils does too.

JN

It seems like a Mains hum is being induced into the 16mH inductors from possibly a power transformer that is 'on' somewhere in your kit or elsewhere.

It does sound like an inductive fault from your description.

C.M

Joined 2007
Paid Member
What kind of inductor is on the woofer; you said 16mH? Is it air core?

You could try re-orienting it. If that helps you could try a cored inductor which would present a smaller pick up aperture. I am surprised that this is happening particularly with the amp connected as it puts a pretty low impedance across the speaker terminals at audio frequencies.

Have you tried turning it on and off again?

But for real, if I understood correctly, the speakers make a humming noise even when there's no power supplied to the whole circuit?

Try moving your devices containing coils 90° to turn them out of phase of the current source of hum

It appears you have some very strong 60Hz magnetic fields where you are located. This is the only way you could hear a hum without any electronics connected. You may want to borrow or purchase a Gauss meter to check your surroundings.

You could shield the crossover, but you will need heavy iron/steel plate or thick aluminum. If you use steel or iron, you will need to keep the inductors away from the metal or it will change the values.

I believe the pitch placed on inductors is to keep the coils from vibrating. The vibration can induce harmonic distortions in the output.

Here is a link to a cheap EMF meter which will give you a ballpark measurement of your ambient fileds.
https://www.amazon.com/ElectroSensor-Electro-Magnetic-Field-Detector/dp/B000G82KLI

Potentially stupid debugging ideas - when all else fails try the simple stuff:

1) Tie the speaker leads together - still hums?

2) Try simple minded speaker leads like zip cord?

3) remove speaker leads - no Hum?

4) Still hums with all external leads removed? Try putting 8 ohm resistor across terminals - and/or move speakers into various
positions/places - trying to find an active LF field here...

Once you've eliminated the obvious suspects - then move on to Soviet-level debugging beginning with the revanchist, neo-manichean inductors.

You might not find the problem. but at least the firing squad will get some practice.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Iron cored inductors can be sensitive to interference. Distance can help, both from other inductors and the amp. Can you use longer speaker cables?

If your amp is the only concern and you don't want to move it then shielding the amp makes sense, being the source of the problem, and of course rotating it too.

A 16mH air cored inductor can be large. One of the issues could possibly be interwinding capacitance but if this is for a woofer then you may not have an issue, otherwise use two in series.

One other off-the-wall thought - I've seen cases where relatively stiff pleated surround main drivers (specifically EV Wolverines) could actually mechanically resonate with hum from components like Microwave oven transformers or commercial Auto-chlor machines.

So your spiked speakers with good mechanical ground could be sweetly humming along with the heat pump that's energising the crossbeam over which they sit.

Trust me - this stuff falls into the non-obvious hair-tearing category...

Cheers

Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.