Improve Cerwin Vega E715

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EarlK thanks so much <<<<>>>>Do you know of a more hi fi speaker plan for next project using larger drivers with a maximum height of 36" thanks.

You're welcome!

My advice is to finish this project first ( using your existing C.V. 15" woofer ).
- Hopefully it really is at least 95db efficient.

So you understand, it's incredibly hard to source a 95db+ 15" woofer that also extends down to even 30hz ( & that's also affordable ).

Since CV woofers are virtually impossible to find accurate info on, someone ( before a custom crossover can be designed ) will need to measure it's frequency response and also create an impedance file for it.

For "Blue-Skying" about possible future projects, check out Troels Gravesen's Web Site.

:)

Running before walking&#55357;&#56833; ,specs apparently 102 db sensitivity 400 watt for 125 db output perhaps perhaps perhaps,in the past i have used REW to measure and adjust eq is this something i could use or what do you suggest to create an impedance file?,thanks for link will peruse.

Running before walking�� ,specs apparently 102 db sensitivity 400 watt for 125 db output perhaps perhaps perhaps,in the past i have used REW to measure and adjust eq is this something i could use or what do you suggest to create an impedance file?,thanks for link will peruse.

Matyam,

I guess that means you have a test mic of sorts and can find your away around REW.

REW has a help section within the program that has some directions for making impedance measurements.

Take a look at that and come back here with your questions.

:)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Why not get a cheap electronic cross-over and Bi-Amp?
Does your existing amplifier have pre-amp outs?
I went with a cheap Behringer years ago as I found it so much easier not to mention cheaper than huge low DC inductors
Doing so isn't perfect but it is easy and fast and compared to passive XOs amplifiers are cheap

I would also suggest active crossover. I saw some cheap 3 way linkwitz riley on aliexpres. Dont know if they are good. Also I have a 3 way analougue that cost around 130 dollars from ali. Works great. Its an amarican brand rebranded. Remember you only need 1 powerful, 1 lowpower and 1 very low power amp. For driving a 3 way speaker with active x-over

When I first used rew for eq it was a tinkerers paradise completely transformed using the Vegas from a bloated mess on my room which is why can't go back to less impact as I can achieve 17 Hz with corner gain for ht or 40hz when bunged, for the money of course.Anyhow i am all ears about active crossovers ,I do have preouts on my Yamaha so any suggestions on suitable kit be great,I am planning on getting a dirac equed receiver to-do away with my antimode and Yamaha eq so whatever solutions are very welcome as the learning curve is addictive.

Well finally got round to fitting the audax mid range drivers in a 14" baffled tube and some extra padding to internal surfaces,absolutely brill clarity is great making music alive but with the bass , still waiting on tweeters unfortunately but thanks to advice on hear,faital 15" drivers perhaps next or acoustic elegance anyone have a preference for either ?

Well finally got round to fitting the audax mid range drivers in a 14" baffled tube and some extra padding to internal surfaces,absolutely brill clarity is great making music alive but with the bass , ?

What about the bass? Dont get the meaning of that last sentense. I am sure you can get these speakers sound absolutely brilliant in the end using the existing woofers. No need to buy others.

When you have gotten the mids and highs mated well with woofer(search linkwitz on aliexpress for active xover. Some of them comes with fixed xoverpoint but you can tell them where you want it exactly) then you can see(or hear) if you need to tune the cabs better to make bass-quality as good as mid/high or if it already is.

No you dont get superhighend quality cabinets for the price of a cervin vega, but nothing stops you from turning those cabinets into superhighendquality☺

DKK 243.68 50%OFF | 3 Way Crossover PCBA of HIFI Class A Power Linkwitz-Riley filter 6-Channel Crossover-point 310HZ/3.1KHz free shipping
3 Way Crossover PCBA of HIFI Class A Power Linkwitz Riley filter 6 Channel Crossover point 310HZ/3.1KHz free shipping-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This is an analogue active filter. If you choose a digital dsp xover you will be able to eq and make timeadjustments and so on with probably superior result.

Many powerfull pa-amplifiers has build in 2 way digital xover. Like the new lowcost behringer dsp amps. They sound great driving woofers. Has build in 2 way xcrossover, so you will only need another 2 way to cross between mid and tweet. Bass will probably benefit tremendously by being driven actively crossed

Did you Bi-Amp or use passive?

At the moment I'm in a quandry of which way to go,I started to dismantle passive crossover but have tried with existing and as said big difference when tweeters come I will test with rew .As I will be going to Dirac live soon for room correction not quite sure easiest way to go as my smaller UK room needs taming with these speakers,rear ports are bunged meaning 40hz cut off .I will be off to Ikea for some worktop when happy with drivers to make front baffle what about side ports opposing each other would this work ?
Active analogue crossover looks very interesting but with my probable nad 777 upgrade for Dirac live room correction what would you suggest to integrate these speakers without its passive crossover for stereo and for hometheatre can it be done cheers ?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.