An Improved Array

This brings up an interesting point about how to deal with directivity that changes with frequency. Both CD horns and CBTs have low frequency limits below which they become more and more omnidirectional. This makes for an uneven power response, which could color the sound as we perceive it.

I wonder if the problem largely goes away if we maintain directivity down to about 280 hz or so. At that frequency, the floor bounce will typically be less than 1/2 wavelength behind the direct sound, so it starts to correlate with the direct sound. At that point, the floor bounce is acting like reinforcement, and we can EQ the frequency response to be flat at the listening position, and the result might sound uncolored.

How do others suggest handling the loss of directivity at low frequencies?

Having designed and listened to many arrays and point source speakers in different rooms the arrays always tend to have better bass. I've found that control down to 200-250hz works really well.

On the issue of studio recordings versus live recordings in a concert hall I disagree with Earl that a 2-way with a waveguide tweeter will translate better since the majority of recordings are done in a studio. Engineers can add effects and in some places they have access to fairly large rooms that can add ambiance for side wall reflections. For me the ideal speaker has good localization, soundstage width, and envelopment (the latter being most difficult for 2-channel).

I disagree with Earl that a 2-way with a waveguide tweeter will translate better since the majority of recordings are done in a studio.

When did I say that? If you think that I did then you must have misunderstood.

What I have said is that there is a tradeoff between spaciousness and imaging, do you disagree with that? And that a high DI point source will tradeoff more towards the imaging aspects, which are critical to studio work. It is the DI that's matters, not how it is obtained.

Imaging in an auditorium is never very good even live, so reproduction of such imaging is not a primary consideration. Hence, there is going to be a difference between how a given set of speakers translate between "live" venues and studio work (low DI versus high DI, for example). How can this not be true? The differences can be related to the speakers DI and its interface to the room. The fact that producers can simulate a large venue (if they are actually in a large venue then it is not "studio work") doesn't really impact what I am saying.

No problem - important thing is that what you have works for you and allows you to enjoy the hobby. When I talk to Don next I'll ask him to consider adding a floor-to-ceiling comparison to the CBT. I think the CBT offers wider appeal for DIY since many (myself included) don't have the option for a floor to ceiling array. Even if I did, I think the spatial presentation of a CBT is more realistic.

Why would that be? Any pointers? So far I'm liking my own results, as measured at the listening position, compared to the real world stuff I've seen on the CBT. No reason for me to assume I'm missing out on something yet.

I'd love to see the data of the CBT though. Including early waterfall plots etc. As said, I don't think it's a bad concept. I couldn't make it work in my room.

Last edited:
The difference between the CBT36 and the CBT24 is the difference between a full-range speaker and a two-way. The treble on the two way is better, but at the expense of horizontal polar response. In a conventional two-way speaker the issues with the polar response are in the vertical axis, in the CBT36 the issues are in the horizontal axis. (Because it's a horizontal not vertical array.)

Due to this, IMHO there's a lot of good reasons to flip the CBT36 on it's side.

Note that the JBL CBTs don't have this issue; the midrange and tweeter are basically coaxial.

I told Don that is what I would do with them if I had a pair and I think that he was insulted. :eek:

samsung-75-incg-smart-tv-in-india-512.jpg

And with 65" TVs becoming the norm, there's lots of room for an array underneath there.

A 75" TV is about six feet wide...

FYI:
The spacing between the drivers on CBT36 (horizontally) is less than 1/4 wavelength.

The CBT36 cabinet is much better built than than cabinet for CBT24. Diffraction might be an issue with CBT24.

A laid down CBT36 makes no sense. We want to avoid vertical reflections. Whether the horizontal coverage should be narrow or wide is a matter of usage and taste. It's much more important here that the coverage is constant and avoids a sudden change in directivity, as this will alter the tonality.

There was a forum member who was trying to figure out how to make a Bessel with fewer drivers than prescribed.

Here is how to do that. This can be done with ANY type of array, not just Bessel. The way that this works is that you're replacing a pair of drivers that are getting a FRACTION of the voltage with a SINGLE driver that's getting FULL voltage.

y5EitDH.jpg

You can sim the results yourself in Hornresp. It doesn't work *exactly* the same as power tapering, but it's pretty darn close. And it really really simplifies things a lot. Besides saving the cost of additional drivers, it also maximizes your power handling. The reason for this is because a conventional Bessel array has a number of drivers that's only receiving half the power of the others.

Hello guys,
i've heard recently a duo of Prestige CBT24 Line Array speakers with dual Dayton audio Ultimax Sub woofers 18", a very impressive combination but the configuration was a very very high end build with KRELL & MBL amplifiers, Rosita DAC, Tube Pre-Amps, etc ...

I would like to do something more affordable but also oriented to Home Cinema needs.
Here are the points where i'm not really clear and would like to get your inputs:
- anyone has had good experience with line array speakers in home theater configuration?
if yes:
- my system will be driven by an EMOTIVA XMC-1 pre-amp
- main speakers would be the CBT24
- Sealed Subs would be one size smaller: Dayton Audio Ultimax on 15" or any other affordable sub kits,
I'm now looking for help on these points:
- Do i need a DSP per channel or the XMC-1 with its dirac LIVE would be enough?
- which Class D power amps with (or without) DSP would be good to drive both sub & line array speaker in each side? ideally one Amp to drive both Full range & sub?
- which would be the best central & rear speakers DIY speakers to accompany these main speakers? smaller vers of line array speakers?
- which power amplifier would be good for these 3 other speakers?

Thanks!

I'm one of those people that uses garbage electronics. It's difficult for me to comment on questions about dacs or amps because they're not something I know about.

I use Sure Amplifiers in almost all my systems. Four channels for $80, gets the job done.

If I were doing this system I'd probably omit the centre channel. There's nowhere to put it, unless you're using a projector.

I would use a minimum of three subs.