4 Way Mid Bass Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi David;

I am completely with you on the 2245 vs 2241 or 2242. I have a bunch of 42's and they are fearsome when you put a ton of power to them but the 2245's sure sound a lot nicer, you just can't be mean to them.

I also have a bunch of 2226's in 4450's and RCA Ubangi's and they are great.

My best,
Barry.

Hi Steve;

The 2220s had several applications like front loaded bass horns,(4550-4560) reproducing high efficiency midrange and low frequency. LF back when 40 was the bottom for live music eg open e on a bass guitar.

George Augsperger used them for a time as direct radiators in his 2-15" studio monitors.

I have a bunch of 2220's loaded in Community Leviathan horns, a 2-15" bass horn and they are amazing, needs real subs though.

As a note, I use my 4550's all the way down and those are loaded with 2226's. :)

Barry.

Sorry not to be up to date with my own post but we are over 1000 miles from home at the moment with a very poor wifi connection.
Yes any of the following would be the way to go if there were no budget constraints but the JBL 2220 seems the answer.
The correct mounting of the JBL 2405s is a quandary. Mine ended up the way they are as I had a alloy plate to hand and they are mounted in one side of a vice so I can fine tune for alignment. Is it best to use tweeters naked with no surround?

crash999, Did Santa bring you a pair of 15" JBL 2220H speakers for Xmas? (sketch of 18"+15"+eJMLC stack)

90H x 25V polar pattern super tweeters like JBL 2405H are often set near ear level, aimed at the listener, and distance-positioned by ear. Time and phase coherence across the listeners is not possible since 8kHz has a 0.4" quarter wavelength, and there is over 7" separation between horns. Lobing. I believe the main placement goal is to have just one lobe cover the seated listeners for even SPL and consistent sound stage.
-------------

Leonard Audio offers a free TL Design program which models cabinet shape and stuffing absorption.
Transmission Line
Leonard Audio | Audio Engineering Resources
Sorry not to reply but I'm actually over 1000 miles from home and up till now have had very slow internet.
No I missed a good deal on some JBL 2220 but will keep looking on Ebay.
Thanks for the download info from Leonard Audio.

Sorry not to reply but I'm actually over 1000 miles from home and up till now have had very slow internet.
No I missed a good deal on some JBL 2220 but will keep looking on Ebay.
Thanks for the download info from Leonard Audio.

Well I ended up using a really nice pair of JBL 1400 pros and they sound really nice.

I replaced the JBL 2405s with a pair of Beyma CP2i/F they go lower than the 2405 and sounded much better crossing at 8000 Hz than the 2405s. I then added another pair of Beyma CP21/Fs backfiring and I like the sound.

The system was measured with REM and it found some problems. A lot less wool in the 2245 cabinets solved a lump in the bass, extra in the JBL 1400 pro cabinet helped and sitting in the ideal position as per REM the system measures very well with no EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.